HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Sep 4, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #361 of 1,289
I have no problem with the bass from the RS2. With NOS on, and using Sennheiser IE600, I actually thought the bass was too strong. For the kind of music I listen to (jazz, acoustic, vocals, classical) the bass is more than adequate. Perhaps people who have different demands, like Electronic, wanting fast rise time/impact, wall of sound, etc, they may feel different. I cannot say about that, as I have no experience with it.
Personally, I do not find the RS2 lacking in bass.

So like I said before, it is hard to know, from others opinions, unless you have specific details, like certain tracks that you are familiar with, and descriptions of what is lacking. There is also the complication of what IEMs are used, synergy with the type of music, etc.

I remember a long running discussion on the Sony WM1x thread about firmware/SQ differences, with one member who did a tremendous amount of work on testing, and mapping the differences. But using the results/data to pick a firmware to try, did not result in the sound I expected. It was only after quite awhile that it turned out we were comparing apples with oranges. The members hard work was based on a not very adequate IEM, with heavy EQ applied. That was his test criteria, while most (all?) members use no EQ for evaluation and testing. We had to go back to basics and restate the obvious. State your test conditions, and keep it simple, and repeatable, so that there would be a common base of comparison. I.e. Disable EQ, to reduce the number of factors for everybody, so that there could be a meaningful comparison.
You are right, the only way to know it is to demo yourself. I will wait till I am sure the 2nd hand value is high enough to make the blind buy. Hopefully I will have a chance to demo it this SoCal CanJam, though highly unlikely RS2 will be there.

Sep 4, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #362 of 1,289
Does anyone have a description of the changes made between the different filter settings? I can't seem to find any mention in the manual or on the sites...
See below. I believe the creator (or one of the creators) is @joe-Bloggs. He is a rep for Hiby on the various Hiby threads. Hiby OS is used by other companies (Cayin, Hidizs, etc). I remember Joe had discussed MSEB on one of the threads. Other than these discussions, there is not much information available.
The details below are supposed to be from the creator(s) of MSEB.

***********************************************************************************************************************
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...me-subjective-thoughts-about-hiby-mseb.10385/

MageSound 8-ball (MSEB):

1 -- Overall Temperature is a tilt of the whole line towards treble (cool) or bass (warm)
2 -- Bass extension 70Hz and below
3 -- Bass texture 100Hz (medium)
4 -- Note thickness 200Hz (wide)
5 -- Vocals 650Hz (very wide)
6 -- Female overtones 3kHz (tight)
7 -- Sibilance LF 5.8kHz (medium)
8 -- Sibilance HF 9.2kHz (medium)
9 -- Impulse response 7.5kHz (very wide)
10 - Air 10kHz sloped all the way to 20kHz

Sep 4, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #363 of 1,289
@ttt123 thank you for that.
What I was actually looking for was the digital filter under the Darwin section:
1662318881835.png

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #364 of 1,289
IMG20220905123152.jpg

Sep 5, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #365 of 1,289
@ttt123 thank you for that.
What I was actually looking for was the digital filter under the Darwin section:
Some info in Twister6 review for the RS6 https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-rs6.25543/reviews
(Low-pass antialiasing filters - Darwin Default, and Darwin 1 through 10)

DARWIN Controller

This is an all-new menu option for the RS6 (and presumably future RS devices) and allows for some very interesting fine-tuning using adjustable filters in the audio chain. That said, other than switching between NOS and OS, I can’t hear any changes to the sound, even subtle changes, when changing any of these filter options. This includes:

Low-pass antialiasing filters, labeled Darwin Default and Darwin 1 through 10. Regardless of filter, the sound stays the same, or maybe my hearing just isn’t acute enough to resolve the change.

Atmosphere Enhanced. I have no idea what this does, but like the low-pass filters, makes no perceivable change to what I’m hearing.

Customized Presets. This offers selectable filters for 19 current and legacy IEMs from the likes of QDC, Softears, Unique Melody and 64 Audio, but try as I may I can’t hear the difference with my own IEMs, which aren’t on the list.

screens6.jpg

PLUS THIS POST, which has some details for D7 - D9. The chart gives an idea of different filters. One user liked D3 & D8, and disliked the others. (I'll have to give them a try, as so far I left them at Darwin default)

The premise is that the frequency region of the filter, even though higher than the Audio band, and type of rolloff (sharp, slow, brick-wall) , can affect the Audio band.
Edit: I'm probably mixing up Analog filtering concepts, and have not looked at digital filters for a long time, so do correct if you see inaccuracies.
Edit: Note: The Darwin low pass filters have no effect if NOS is on. The filters are applied at the tail end of the Over Sampling process, and NOS (Non Over Sampling) bypasses Over Sampling.

This is similar to how, in the Analog domain, cross-over frequencies/rolloffs can affect the Audio band of speakers and IEMs.

Both the Digital and Analog areas are complex, and have strong proponents for different methodologies.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-rs6-android-dap-snapdragon-660-4-64gb-5”-full-hd-darwin-r2r-fir-nos-mqa-16x-copper-chassis.958878/post-1702074

Screenshot_20220624-110500.png

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #366 of 1,289
Regarding the RS2 ignition failure, here is the response from hello@hiby.com:

For the details you mentioned, there is no problem with your device. When the device is unable to be turned on, it's recommended to connect the RS2 to a computer with an original type-c cable and charge it for a few hours, then press and hold the power button for 15 to 30 seconds to force start. If there are any further questions, you can feel free to contact us via email. We are always happy to serve you. Wish you a pleasant day!

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #367 of 1,289

For the details you mentioned, there is no problem with your device. When the device is unable to be turned on, it's recommended to connect the RS2 to a computer with an original type-c cable and charge it for a few hours, then press and hold the power button for 15 to 30 seconds to force start. If there are any further questions, you can feel free to contact us via email. We are always happy to serve you. Wish you a pleasant day!
Did it work ?

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #368 of 1,289

Does it work?

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #369 of 1,289
En fait je l'ai laissé branché pendant au moins 8 heures sur un ancien adapter power 5V 1.5A,
j'ai ensuite cliqué sur le bouton power 30 secondes et il s'est allumé chargé à 89%....
J'ai eu peur de le perdre...et non il est revenu à la vie...
l'enseignement que j'en tire, c'est surtout le recharger avant qu'il soit à Zéro.
Merci à vous pour tous vos conseils.

In fact I left it connected for at least 8 hours to an old adapt Power 5V 1.5A,
I then clicked on the Power button for 30 seconds and it was on loaded 89%....
I was afraid to lose it ... and no he came back to life ...
The teaching that I draw, it is above all to recharge it before it is zero.
Thank you for all your advice.

Sep 5, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #370 of 1,289
En fait je l'ai laissé branché pendant au moins 8 heures sur un ancien adapter power 5V 1.5A,
j'ai ensuite cliqué sur le bouton power 30 secondes et il s'est allumé chargé à 89%....
J'ai eu peur de le perdre...et non il est revenu à la vie...
l'enseignement que j'en tire, c'est surtout le recharger avant qu'il soit à Zéro.
Merci à vous pour tous vos conseils.

In fact I left it connected for at least 8 hours to an old adapt Power 5V 1.5A,
I then clicked on the Power button for 30 seconds and it was on loaded 89%....
I was afraid to lose it ... and no he came back to life ...
The teaching that I draw, it is above all to recharge it before it is zero.
Thank you for all your advice.
Quite a strange issue imo. This should!’t happen with devices of current generation.

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #372 of 1,289
Intrigued by this. Very rare to see dual SD slots these days. That alone in conjunction with Mojo 2 should make this formidable. Beyond that, like the form factor/design greatly. Old school, thumbs up.

Any impressions with IE900?

Edit: pre-ordered. Look forward to trying it out.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #373 of 1,289
Wow, there is already one used in classified from UK.

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #374 of 1,289
Wow, there is already one used in classified from UK.
That doesn't surprise me. Out of the box I was very much unimpressed, but as I put more hours on it and it burns in, it is starting to sound better.
I think earphone synergy is also going to play a big part in peoples perception of the RS2.

I'm holding off saying to much at this point until I feel it is fully burned in and my impressions are more formed, however let's put it this way - Monday I regretted buying it; Wednesday I don't.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #375 of 1,289
That doesn't surprise me. Out of the box I was very much unimpressed, but as I put more hours on it and it burns in, it is starting to sound better.
I think earphone synergy is also going to play a big part in peoples perception of the RS2.

I'm holding off saying to much at this point until I feel it is fully burned in and my impressions are more formed, however let's put it this way - Monday I regretted buying it; Wednesday I don't.
The advice I have seen, and that I follow, is that R2R needs a good amount of burn-in. (due to the resistor ladders, etc) I personally aim for around 500 hours, as that is what I observerved as beneficial.

For those who do not believe in burn in, then just use it, and disregard the discussions around burn in. This, and many other things, are a personal choice for each user. The Audio hobby is like religion. There are agnostics, believers, true believers, fanatics, martyrs. There is something for everybody. Pick your poison. And please don't report me to the Audio Inquisition.

The discrete resistor ladders that make up the R2R, in addition to a lengthy burn-in, benefit from being warmed up before playing, as the resistors need heat/time to stabilize their temperature.
So:
- Give the DAP a good burn-in before judging
- Allow some time for warm up after powering up. Not that you cannot use it before warm up, but just to make allowance, and modify your habits to turn on the RS2 firrst, while you are getting ready.
- Similar to how you would treat a tube amp, by turning on the amp first thing before you do anything else. i.e. Turn on the tube amp, then select the music to play, etc., etc.,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back