HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Sep 7, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #376 of 1,274
That doesn't surprise me. Out of the box I was very much unimpressed, but as I put more hours on it and it burns in, it is starting to sound better.
I think earphone synergy is also going to play a big part in peoples perception of the RS2.

I'm holding off saying to much at this point until I feel it is fully burned in and my impressions are more formed, however let's put it this way - Monday I regretted buying it; Wednesday I don't.
Better how, if I may ask - more open, more balanced, more resolving?

I look forward to hearing how this pairs with brighter sounding headphones I have like WP900, MSR7B, and DT770/990 (latter amp'd).

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #377 of 1,274
Better how, if I may ask - more open, more balanced, more resolving?

I look forward to hearing how this pairs with brighter sounding headphones I have like WP900, MSR7B, and DT770/990 (latter amp'd).
More open, balanced and resolving pretty much sums it up.everything sounded veiled and congested to start with.

Haven't tried headphones with it yet, but brighter sounding headphones is perhaps not the way to go, treble is not the best part of the RS2, so you would be highlighting it's weakness rather than getting the most out of its strengths.

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #378 of 1,274
The advice I have seen, and that I follow, is that R2R needs a good amount of burn-in. (due to the resistor ladders, etc) I personally aim for around 500 hours, as that is what I observerved as beneficial.

For those who do not believe in burn in, then just use it, and disregard the discussions around burn in. This, and many other things, are a personal choice for each user. The Audio hobby is like religion. There are agnostics, believers, true believers, fanatics, martyrs. There is something for everybody. Pick your poison. And please don't report me to the Audio Inquisition.

The discrete resistor ladders that make up the R2R, in addition to a lengthy burn-in, benefit from being warmed up before playing, as the resistors need heat/time to stabilize their temperature.
So:
- Give the DAP a good burn-in before judging
- Allow some time for warm up after powering up. Not that you cannot use it before warm up, but just to make allowance, and modify your habits to turn on the RS2 firrst, while you are getting ready.
- Similar to how you would treat a tube amp, by turning on the amp first thing before you do anything else. i.e. Turn on the tube amp, then select the music to play, etc., etc.,

No "Audio Inquisition" here... I do have to say that I have always wondered why burn-in is always perceived as making devices sound better with time. IMO burn-in can go either way as components drift over time... :wink:

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #379 of 1,274
More open, balanced and resolving pretty much sums it up.everything sounded veiled and congested to start with.

Haven't tried headphones with it yet, but brighter sounding headphones is perhaps not the way to go, treble is not the best part of the RS2, so you would be highlighting it's weakness rather than getting the most out of its strengths.
Interesting on treble. How so? It's already bright or strident?

Sep 7, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #380 of 1,274
8BA12962-4B9D-4A9C-914A-86AFD5C7915E.jpeg
Meanwhile, on a Chinese social media site.

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #382 of 1,274
I think he's saying that the treble isn't it's strength, but if you're looking to tone the treble down on your cans, which I think was your point, this dap might be a good choice.
Exactly. Most - all - my gear is fairly neutral, so I'm hoping this will be a smoother DAP that will smoothen out headphones like the WP900.

Will also let you know how it handles Dokken if of interest \m/

Sep 7, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #384 of 1,274
No "Audio Inquisition" here... I do have to say that I have always wondered why burn-in is always perceived as making devices sound better with time. IMO burn-in can go either way as components drift over time... :wink:
I guess this has to do with burn in, versus sound preference. Observation says that burn in improves in the areas of micro details, stage, transparency. Theoretically, and in practice, these are good things to have.
But it depends on personal preference. Some may like the sound before burn in. I personally have not experienced that, but certainly somebody else may feel different.
Maybe lower resolution files sound better, with less transparency/detail. Also possible.
But in a way, this is all moot, as the equipment will burn in, whether as part of normal use, or accelerated with a steady burn in period (which I prefer).

Also, I classify burn in as enhancing the signal, which is different from component drift, or degradation. You can accelerate burn in, but cannot do much about component drift or degradation.
My simple analogy is when I make an IEM cable, plug it in for the first time to listen to music, and it sounds like absolute crap. After about 15 mins, it starts to sound better. The gross changes happen in the first 10-15 mins, and I believe that there are less striking changes over a longer period of time. But definitely there is change, even if small. This is an example I look at, and is enough proof (for me) that burn in happens.

So the question comes back to: burn in or not? Up to the user. I always try to. Some people never. Whatever makes you happy, and lets you enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #386 of 1,274
I am really digging the RS2. It's been my goto for the last week. I have rotated lots of headphones through it and the only one I didn't like with it was the Fostex T20RP. It could be that the T20 is SE and requires a decent amount of power to sound decent. On the other side, the best so far is my Meze 99 Noir and CA Honeydew (both balanced).

I will try to get to a comparo with the Cayin N3P and the RU6 (attached to DX160 and Shanling M5S) sometime soon. Just having too much fun with this little beasty.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #387 of 1,274
RS2 + S12 + Daft Punk = :)

Sep 9, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #388 of 1,274
Does anyone know which setting I should change to let the player keep playing? Now, it seems it will stop after about 2 min and start to play the next track. I updated to the lastest 1.04 firware

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #389 of 1,274
Does anyone know which setting I should change to let the player keep playing? Now, it seems it will stop after about 2 min and start to play the next track. I updated to the lastest 1.04 firware
Not aware of any such setting. Try restarting, and if still the same problem, try a restore. At System/Restore Factory Settings. Note that this will erase any Playlists, and songs on internal memory.

Sep 9, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #390 of 1,274
Not aware of any such setting. Try restarting, and if still the same problem, try a restore. At System/Restore Factory Settings. Note that this will erase any Playlists, and songs on internal memory.
I did all these. Still get the same problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back