HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Sep 3, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #346 of 1,274
Après avoir écouté mon HiBy RS2 pendant une dizaine d'heures, il est complètement déchargé.
Le problème c'est que je n'arrive pas à le recharger. Ca fait 2 heures que je le met en charge et pourtant il ne s'allume pas.
Avez vous une explication ?
Merci.

After listening to my HiBy RS2 for about ten hours, it is completely discharged.
The problem is that I can't charge it.
I've been charging it for 2 hours and yet it won't turn on.
Do you have an explanation ?
Thanks.
Have you tried holding the power button in for 20-30 seconds straight?

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #348 of 1,274
Yes, but it doesn't work.
Whether I try to charge it the switch right or left, it doesn't charge...
Have you tried different USB Power supplies? I find that the RS2 will not charge when plugged into a newer charger, USB C out, PD capable. Switch to an older charger with QC2/3 capable port, or regular USB port, and it will charge.
And different cables? /tried the cable that came with the RS2?

The switch to the left will disable charging. This is for USB DAC mode, where you want the RS2 to run on it's internal battery, and not charge from the source device.

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-rs2
16-1659586884284.jpg

Uncharging mode--Independent battery operation as USB DAC​

Press button to toggle charging in USB DAC mode--uncharging mode reduces battery consumption on smartphone and isolates device from external power supply noise.

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #350 of 1,274
I've got an xduoo X3ii that runs hiby software, and unlike a lot of the cheaper daps it allows you to delete files through the UI. I'm thinking of replacing it with the RS2, does it also have the ability to delete a file while listening to it, and if so how easy is it?

I'd also be interested in how it sounds relative to the Hiby R5 Gen2, which I was also considering.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #351 of 1,274
I've got an xduoo X3ii that runs hiby software, and unlike a lot of the cheaper daps it allows you to delete files through the UI. I'm thinking of replacing it with the RS2, does it also have the ability to delete a file while listening to it, and if so how easy is it?

I'd also be interested in how it sounds relative to the Hiby R5 Gen2, which I was also considering.

Thanks.
while playing the file, press the 3 dots at the lower right corner. There is a Delete option which will delete off the MicroSD card. Or if playing a playlist, will remove the song from the Playlist.

Between the R5 Gen2 and the RS2, it's up to personal preference, and features.

The RS2 is a minimalist OS and UI, for playing files off the MicroSD. If you like the R2R sound, and want a small size DAP for local file playback, then the RS2 is pretty good. Personally, I like the RS2 more, because I like a more analog sound, for Jazz, vocals, Classical. And the use case is what I want. Small, R2R, local playback only, minimalist hardware (no Wifi or Bluetooth) and software.

Some people will like the moderately larger R5 ii, it's ability to stream (Tidal, etc.), and the SQ from it's Class A amp.

No way to tell whether my usage and opinion mean anything, as there are so many unknowns on the type of music, what parts of the music you value, etc. I think of it as like the movie Rashomon. The story is told from different parties/viewpoints. Each story sounds real, and you believe them. Then the next party tells their story, and you believe them also, and the others. And they all contradict each other. In the end, you do not know which is the truth, and which is the lie. Or they are all true, and all lies.....

Each person has to listen and decide for themselves.

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #352 of 1,274
Some MSEB settings to try on the RS2. Copied from the RS6 Analog setting. The RS2 does not have an Analog setting, but can manually set for the same result.
MSEB
-Overall Temperature: +15
-Bass Extension: -10
- Bass texture: -5
- Note Thickness: +10
-Voice Forward: +5
-Female Overtones: +5
-Sibilance LF: -4
-Sibilance HF: -4
-Musical Impulse Response: +10
-Air: +8

DARWIN
-Harmonic Controller: 150 (I'm trying this at a lower value of 32)
- NOS: On
(try and see if you like it)

I searched all over trying to find how to play from a Playlist I had created and added music to.
It's in a non-obvious (to me) place
>Music/press the Favorites Star on the upper right. Then can select from: Favorites, /Recents/Playlist/Recently Added

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #353 of 1,274
while playing the file, press the 3 dots at the lower right corner. There is a Delete option which will delete off the MicroSD card. Or if playing a playlist, will remove the song from the Playlist.

Between the R5 Gen2 and the RS2, it's up to personal preference, and features.

The RS2 is a minimalist OS and UI, for playing files off the MicroSD. If you like the R2R sound, and want a small size DAP for local file playback, then the RS2 is pretty good. Personally, I like the RS2 more, because I like a more analog sound, for Jazz, vocals, Classical. And the use case is what I want. Small, R2R, local playback only, minimalist hardware (no Wifi or Bluetooth) and software.

Some people will like the moderately larger R5 ii, it's ability to stream (Tidal, etc.), and the SQ from it's Class A amp.

No way to tell whether my usage and opinion mean anything, as there are so many unknowns on the type of music, what parts of the music you value, etc. I think of it as like the movie Rashomon. The story is told from different parties/viewpoints. Each story sounds real, and you believe them. Then the next party tells their story, and you believe them also, and the others. And they all contradict each other. In the end, you do not know which is the truth, and which is the lie. Or they are all true, and all lies.....

Each person has to listen and decide for themselves.
The form factor really fit in my needs and I never use DAP for streaming. However, the only thing put me on hold is some of reports mentioning the bass is relatively not so satisfatory. I am not a hard core basshead but I do value the bass a lot.

The thing that puzzled me is that when I use RU6 on my deskptop, the bass performance on my Z1R is actually pretty good. Not sure what happens to RS2.

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #354 of 1,274

Thanks for answering that.

As for your opinion on the RS2 vs the R5ii I can assure that it was very helpful. I like a bit of everything (without going too extreme) but 80-90% of my preferred listening is to fairly mellow vocal or instrumental music, so it sounds like the RS2 may be the sound I'm after.

Thanks for answering. Especially as there still doesn't seem to be any hands-on reviews out there.

Sep 3, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #355 of 1,274
Merci à vous, mais, le commutateur que l'on pousse sur la gauche c'est pour le mettre en mode Dac .
Etes vous sur qu'il ait une double fonction ?

Thank you, but the switch that we push on the left is to put it in DAC mode
Are you sure it has a dual function?

Correction - putting the RS2 on DAC mode is in under System - USB Mode. When you put the slide switch to the left, it disables charging (Uncharge Mode) while you're on DAC mode.

EDIT TO ADD: Opppss...ttt123 already corrected this.

In addition, I use just the normal type C cable I have on my desk (not the one that came in the box). Charged it to non/QC and QC/PD enabled charging bricks and it charges just fine.

If you ran your battery 'really' flat - then it might take time to for the device to 'wake up' and start charging again. I suggest leaving it plugged to a normal USB (non QC/PD) charging brick and see if that does the trick. I did 5 charge/dischaged cycles on my RS2, luckily, I didn't over discharge mine.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #356 of 1,274
Merci à vous, j'ai passé la nuit à le charger et il ne charge pas. Il est en panne.
je voudrais contacter le S.A.V de Hiby, avez vous un mail à me communiquer ?

Thank you, I spent the night charging it and it does not charge. It is down.
I would like to contact the Hiby after-sales service, do you have an email for me?

Sep 4, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #357 of 1,274
Merci à vous, j'ai passé la nuit à le charger et il ne charge pas. Il est en panne.
je voudrais contacter le S.A.V de Hiby, avez vous un mail à me communiquer ?

Thank you, I spent the night charging it and it does not charge. It is down.
I would like to contact the Hiby after-sales service, do you have an email for me?
hello@hiby.com

Sep 4, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #359 of 1,274
The form factor really fit in my needs and I never use DAP for streaming. However, the only thing put me on hold is some of reports mentioning the bass is relatively not so satisfatory. I am not a hard core basshead but I do value the bass a lot.

The thing that puzzled me is that when I use RU6 on my deskptop, the bass performance on my Z1R is actually pretty good. Not sure what happens to RS2.
I have no problem with the bass from the RS2. With NOS on, and using Sennheiser IE600, I actually thought the bass was too strong. For the kind of music I listen to (jazz, acoustic, vocals, classical) the bass is more than adequate. Perhaps people who have different demands, like Electronic, wanting fast rise time/impact, wall of sound, etc, they may feel different. I cannot say about that, as I have no experience with it.
Personally, I do not find the RS2 lacking in bass.

So like I said before, it is hard to know, from others opinions, unless you have specific details, like certain tracks that you are familiar with, and descriptions of what is lacking. There is also the complication of what IEMs are used, synergy with the type of music, etc.

I remember a long running discussion on the Sony WM1x thread about firmware/SQ differences, with one member who did a tremendous amount of work on testing, and mapping the differences. But using the results/data to pick a firmware to try, did not result in the sound I expected. It was only after quite awhile that it turned out we were comparing apples with oranges. The members hard work was based on a not very adequate IEM, with heavy EQ applied. That was his test criteria, while most (all?) members use no EQ for evaluation and testing. We had to go back to basics and restate the obvious. State your test conditions, and keep it simple, and repeatable, so that there would be a common base of comparison. I.e. Disable EQ, to reduce the number of factors for everybody, so that there could be a meaningful comparison.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #360 of 1,274
Does anyone have a description of the changes made between the different filter settings? I can't seem to find any mention in the manual or on the sites...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back