HiBy R8 User Impressions
Sep 9, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #826 of 3,161
Yes, it has the clicks. The problem for me, separate to the case design issue, is that the volume knob is too easy to turn. I know that sound odd, but in previous A&K daps I’ve owned, there is a solid feel to turning the knob, with the right amount of resistance. There is virtually no resistance on the R8 and that is similar to the Cayin N6ii, which I have also mentioned in the N6ii thread.

Is this lack of resistance when turning the knob designed in to the R8, or is it a fault I wonder. I’d really like to hear about the experience of others.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, with A&K DAPs, like SPK and SP2k I'm more familiar with, the volume crown-knob sticks out and they are making it harder to turn so you don't bump the volume by accident while in your pocket. With other DAPs, like R8 or LPGT or N6ii, knob is easier to turn because you have a guard on each side, protecting from accidental bumps.

Sep 9, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #827 of 3,161
Oh, maybe I have the normal case with mine. Mine has the stainless steel design on the back, which I thought was the design on the Dignis case. It is a tan colour. I must admit it doesn’t smell like real leather. But so often things are described as leather these days when they aren’t.
To the bottom right of the metal back, it says Dignis

20200909_211034.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #828 of 3,161
I had a great experience with Musicteck and the R8. I chose to audition first and then only needed one day to decide to purchase it :) They sent the unit, case and cable with the audition and then if you purchase they send the rest of the packaging which I received yesterday.

Ditto, here. I have come across many an Andrew in audiophile seller community but the Musicteck one is the best I have ever done business with.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #830 of 3,161
Thanks! Can you give me more details pls? Trying to decide if it's worth upgrading. Is the power output better on the R8?

Just looking at the figures from their product websites, you can see that R8 is more powerful of the two (800mW vs 1088mW @32 ohms, both in high power mode). But if that is enough to upgrade, I am not sure. It all depends on what you will drive with them and M15 has plenty of power to properly drive, for example, HD800. But I don't know what HPs you want to drive.

M15 has, for me, the design advantage over the R8. I think it is the most user friendly design ever: Location of the output ports and volume control, hold function, freely assignable extra button, smaller size, very acceptable performance, analog volume control with no channel inbalance issues. And most importantly, I love how FiiO interacts with the users. James and his team are absolutely amazing. The design of R8 is the weakest side of it, I think. The ports are at the bottom, so if you put it in your pocket, the volume control will not be easily reachable. It is also larger and heavier. But these are really the only negative things about it. For M15, I didn't really experience myself but I saw complaints about heat issues.

Soundwise, R8 has more extended and richer sound. You may or may not like it depending on the pairing, so I cannot really comment on it. Although it might not be as rich, I like how M15 renders the vocals. It sounds mellow and creamy. Both are great players. If you sell your M15 now, it will be like max 1000-1100? Buying R8 you need to add 700-800 on top. There is also the question, if it is your only DAP. If you have another more expensive DAP and M15 is for daily use, I would stay with M15. If it is your only DAP and you have no problem spending that extra on your DAP, and the design issues are not of importance to you, R8 is a good choice.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #832 of 3,161
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #833 of 3,161
Diana? You mean that HP that is designed to fit only the heads of selected few? :) From what I understand from this review, the full potential comes out with something very powerful like a desktop amp or MAX:

https://headfonics.com/abyss-headphones-diana-v2-review/2/
Agreed, I generally wouldn't try drive a planar from a DAP. Definitely not a high-end planar, unless it's specifically designed for low-power sources (like Empyrean).

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #834 of 3,161
Diana? You mean that HP that is designed to fit only the heads of selected few? :) From what I understand from this review, the full potential comes out with something very powerful like a desktop amp or MAX:

https://headfonics.com/abyss-headphones-diana-v2-review/2/
Haha, I do have a small head so maybe i'll be the lucky one. Either that or the Verite Closed!

I thought that the R8 Turbo Mode could potentially power high impedance headphones!

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #836 of 3,161
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #837 of 3,161
Haha, I do have a small head so maybe i'll be the lucky one. Either that or the Verite Closed!

I thought that the R8 Turbo Mode could potentially power high impedance headphones!

I agree with @gLer. It might drive it but even the higher sensitivity HPs like D8000 Pro benefit from being driven from a proper amp.

For a closed HP, I would also consider the D9200 - R8 can drive it very well. It is a very clear, balanced mids (a bit U), easy to drive, comfortable and light HP. It has more sparkle than Stellia (which had more sparkle than my Verite open). Some people my not like the a bit U shaped signature and flat midrange, but I prefer over Stellia and also Verite.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #838 of 3,161
I agree with @gLer. It might drive it but even the higher sensitivity HPs like D8000 Pro benefit from being driven from a proper amp.

For a closed HP, I would also consider the D9200 - R8 can drive it very well. It is a very clear, balanced (a bit U), easy to drive, comfortable and light HP. It has more sparkle than Stellia (which had more sparkle than my Verite open). Some people my not like the a bit U shaped signature and flat midrange, but I prefer over Stellia and also Verite.
Thanks for the rec, i had my eyes on them and after getting your impression earlier I might just get this. Price isn't too bad either!!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #840 of 3,161
Agreed, I generally wouldn't try drive a planar from a DAP. Definitely not a high-end planar, unless it's specifically designed for low-power sources (like Empyrean).
Why not? Kann Cube, QA361, SP2000, Max, and I am sure there are more, I would think are all capable of driving what you throw at them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back