HiBy R8 User Impressions
Sep 9, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #796 of 3,161
The Dunu Luna and R8, this is on another level. This may even have better synergy than with the DMP Z1. Am I thinking insane thoughts???
Man!!! You just made my day! The exact reason i bought the R8 was to pair with my Luna, Dunu did mention the pairing was on exceptional!

Can you give more impression? I also bought the Eletech Socrates for Luna to see how it pairs!

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #797 of 3,161
Man!!! You just made my day! The exact reason i bought the R8 was to pair with my Luna, Dunu did mention the pairing was on exceptional!

Can you give more impression? I also bought the Eletech Socrates for Luna to see how it pairs!

Congratulations! Nice choice on the Eletech Socrates. I'm using the DUNU Blanche.

I think the excellent synergy may come down to the sheer amount of power (at 37/100 volume) the R8 delivers in normal mode, I haven't tried turbo yet (I've been listening to 2 hours of jazz so far). It seems the Luna is given that extra push and adds more dynamics. It's hard to describe. There's less laid back character, the mid bass and treble have more energy to them, it's like the Luna is excited to play back music for you. The DMP Z1 is very even, smooth and the most refined, which is why I suspect the Stellia and Z1R are the best parings I've heard for the DMP. The R8 with the Luna and Odin (turbo) is more exciting like a shot of espresso was added to the music.

I'll need to compare DMP and R8 with different genres, but so far jazz may be better on R8 due to that extra energy. This may not be true with classical, we'll see...

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #798 of 3,161
Congratulations! Nice choice on the Eletech Socrates. I'm using the DUNU Blanche.

I think the excellent synergy may come down to the sheer amount of power (at 37/100 volume) the R8 delivers in normal mode, I haven't tried turbo yet (I've been listening to 2 hours of jazz so far). It seems the Luna is given that extra push and adds more dynamics. It's hard to describe. There's less laid back character, the mid bass and treble have more energy to them, it's like the Luna is excited to play back music for you. The DMP Z1 is very even, smooth and the most refined, which is why I suspect the Stellia and Z1R are the best parings I've heard for the DMP. The R8 with the Luna and Odin (turbo) is more exciting like a shot of espresso was added to the music.

I'll need to compare DMP and R8 with different genres, but so far jazz may be better on R8 due to that extra energy. This may not be true with classical, we'll see...

Many thanks for the short impressions! Lot of reviews of R8 was biased towards classical music, and most said the vocals were recessed.

But I did read R8 needs a bit of a burn to open that up! Either way, its fine with me, I got the Socrates to give that extra lushness to Luna and a bit of boost to the low end!!!

I did get the SS version of R8, I doubt that changes the sound signature though!!

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #799 of 3,161
Lot of reviews of R8 was biased towards classical music, and most said the vocals were recessed.

That is very strange. At least it is more forward than MAX and I would even prefer a tad leaner high-mids. Maybe I was just used to the leaner signature.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #800 of 3,161
Eagle landed

20200909_134442.jpg

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #801 of 3,161
That is very strange. At least it is more forward than MAX and I would even prefer a tad leaner high-mids. Maybe I was just used to the leaner signature.
That's what I read from most of the Chinese reviews, only one was patient enough to let R8 burn-in first and review, and that apparently did not show any recessed mids!!

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #804 of 3,161
Quick question, is the Dignis case part of the standard package? I would really like that case, looks great!!

Only for the first batch. I wonder if they are now sold out since @subguy812 did not get it.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #805 of 3,161
This thread had me thinking a lot about the possibility of improving my experience form the Hiby R6 pro.

It seems that there is definitively an upgrade, however for 3x the price... I just hope "the sound" is at least 1x better. It would be very frustrating if it doesn't.

I'll just have to wait and hear from you reviews about this comparison because where I live I don't have the possibility to audition it before I buy it. Hope for the pre-orders to arrive soon.!

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #808 of 3,161
Has anyone who owns this compared it to a Fiio M15? I'm sure it's a much faster DAP but i'm mainly wondering if the sound is noticeably better on the R8. Not sure if it has more powerful outputs or not...

Thanks!

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #809 of 3,161
Has anyone who owns this compared it to a Fiio M15? I'm sure it's a much faster DAP but i'm mainly wondering if the sound is noticeably better on the R8. Not sure if it has more powerful outputs or not...

Thanks!
I had the M15 briefly and am hesitant to comment since it is from my senior memory...let me search for my written notes on M15. If I have them I might be able to do that, no promises.

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #810 of 3,161
I had the M15 briefly and am hesitant to comment since it is from my senior memory...let me search for my written notes on M15. If I have them I might be able to do that, no promises.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back