HiBy R8 User Impressions
Sep 10, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #841 of 3,161
Just looking at the figures from their product websites, you can see that R8 is more powerful of the two (800mW vs 1088mW, both in high power mode). But if that is enough to upgrade, I am not sure. It all depends on what you will drive with them and M15 has plenty of power to properly drive, for example, HD800. But I don't know what HPs you want to drive.

M15 has, for me, the design advantage over the R8. I think it is the most user friendly design ever: Location of the output ports and volume control, hold function, freely assignable extra button, smaller size, very acceptable performance, analog volume control with no channel inbalance issues. And most importantly, I love how FiiO interacts with the users. James and his team are absolutely amazing. The design of R8 is the weakest side of it, I think. The ports are at the bottom, so if you put it in your pocket, the volume control will not be easily reachable. It is also larger and heavier. But these are really the only negative things about it. For M15, I didn't really experience myself but I saw complaints about heat issues.

Soundwise, R8 has more extended and richer sound. You may or may not like it depending on the pairing, so I cannot really comment on it. Although it might not be as rich, I like how M15 renders the vocals. It sounds mellow and creamy. Both are great players. If you sell your M15 now, it will be like max 1000-1100? Buying R8 you need to add 700-800 on top. There is also the question, if it is your only DAP. If you have another more expensive DAP and M15 is for daily use, I would stay with M15. If it is your only DAP and you have no problem spending that extra on your DAP, and the design issues are not of importance to you, R8 is a good choice.

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. It really helps make a decision.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #843 of 3,161
Why not? Kann Cube, QA361, SP2000, Max, and I am sure there are more, I would think are all capable of driving what you throw at them?
Max and Kann Cube, maybe. But I still wouldn't bother if I'm driving an Audeze LCD or high OI headphone like HD800. A $500 desktop amp will drive those headphones better than any of those DAPs you listed. Not saying the DAPs will be bad - far from it. But a desktop setup costing far less than the DAPs will outclass it *with those headphones specifically* every single time IMO.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #844 of 3,161
Hopefully I will have more time with the R8 today. I downloaded all of the streaming services I use and downloaded Neutron and PowerAmp, but there really isn't anything wrong with the Hiby Music Player. I am pretty much entrenched in 2.5mm so I need to use the DD ddhifi DJ44A 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, but it has been flawless thus far. I tried my first 3.5mm connection today, and as expected the balanced output has more power and is a touch more dynamic in it's sound.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #845 of 3,161
Maybe the new Kann?
20200702_220156.jpg

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #847 of 3,161
R8 delivered. Will try post some initial sound impressions later. UI wise this thing fliiiesesss though.

Looking forward to your impressions on the pairing with Erlky :relaxed:

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #848 of 3,161
R8 delivered. Will try post some initial sound impressions later. UI wise this thing fliiiesesss though.

My trigger finger is itchy on the button, every impression counts :)

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #851 of 3,161
I only had time to listen to one song before I had to leave my house so I’ll hold off on anything sound wise for a while. The speed of the dap is super impressive though, smart phone type experience.
At this level and price point, as it should be, quite frankly. I'm so tired of people making excuses for sloth-like performance and basic 1990s UIs because "sound is all that matters". Pfft.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #852 of 3,161
Anyone here have R8 and some full size headphones??
Was thinking of getting arya or maybe lcdx in the future.

I have Stellia, MDR Z1R and Fostex TH900. All 4.4mm connections. I’ve been using the TH900 on low gain non-Turbo (45/100). It screams on electronic!

I will be trying out the Z1R and Stellia today, will report back with classical and jazz.

When I get my Hifiman HE-R10 in October (hopefully), I’ll report with impressions of those too.

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #853 of 3,161
Hopefully I will have more time with the R8 today. I downloaded all of the streaming services I use and downloaded Neutron and PowerAmp, but there really isn't anything wrong with the Hiby Music Player. I am pretty much entrenched in 2.5mm so I need to use the DD ddhifi DJ44A 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, but it has been flawless thus far. I tried my first 3.5mm connection today, and as expected the balanced output has more power and is a touch more dynamic in it's sound.

Let me know how the R8 sounds compared to the QP2R as I saw that you reviewed it couple of years ago. I do know it might be tough on memory though.

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #854 of 3,161
Incredibly early/amateur impressions so take it for a grain of salt:

R8 is tuned pretty neutral to me, definitely a bit hissy with the Erlkonig (this is a deal breaker for me tbh), it’s only noticeable on quiet passages but for the tracks I listen to that do have some quiet bits, it’s annoying. No hiss with the A18s at all. Haven’t gotten around to using the M5 yet.

Bass is neutral, I find the Max to have more thump and body in the lower end, Mids are revealing. if I had to choose between the presentation of the mids on the R8 or the Max, I prefer the Max as they have more body to them to my ears but I have no complaints about the R8. Treble is nice and extended. Overall just a neutral sounding DAP to me without much added color or body for that matter. I think it sounds great, but I think the Max is still another beast all together especially where staging is concerned. I haven’t heard anything come close to the Max staging (from android daps). So far from a pure SQ standpoint I think the Max is on another level still, but I’ll update that within the next few days.

I’ll keep listening over the next few days and post any changes I hear with burn in over time.

The speed of the DAP is seriously insane, I haven’t seen track scrolling on Spotify like this on anything except for my iPhone.

Compared to something like the M15, the R8 is not as warm, and I’d argue the R8 actually makes the M15 feel a bit sluggish even though that DAP is considered quite quick for Android DAP standards.

Hope those random impressions help.

edit: listening done on high gain with turbo mode, turning to low gain/turning off turbo mode did reduce the hiss a small amount, nothing crazy though.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #855 of 3,161
@aaf evo Thanks great impressions, that's very helpful :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back