HiBy R8 User Impressions
Sep 12, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #991 of 3,161
I am really interested in the R8, but am hesitant due to all the hissing reports. I never considered the R6 because of hissing in reviews I read.

Sep 12, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #995 of 3,161
Actually many of the questions being asked are already answered before:

"So, downloaded the latest UAPP and looks like R8 support is in, with some small quirk that playing a FLAC file after DSD is most of the time not possible (interestingly, when I play a 88.2 kHz file it is back to normal). It is possible to play up to DSD512, Tidal and Qobuz natively on R8 (I am not sure about the MQA from Tidal - check the screenshot)."

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r8-snapdragon-660-android-p-4g.917733/page-47#post-15843342

Using an external 4TB SSD is a good solution for big offline collections. You can directly access and play from the USB disk. If you don't want the stack, you can always copy from the SSD to your micro-SD card and play from there:

1599920187221.png
Well you can play UAPP on any google device. But according to this site and one person on this forum it doesn't officially support hiby r8 yet only up to the r6 pro.So what I was asking if ita been updates to support it ? ( not sure if there's a difference in sound quality etc. with supported vs not supported)

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #996 of 3,161
Well you can play UAPP on any google device. But according to this site and one person on this forum it doesn't officially support hiby r8 yet only up to the r6 pro.So what I was asking if ita been updates to support it ? ( not sure if there's a difference in sound quality etc. with supported vs not supported)
If it's not supported on UAPP it will be soon. The developer is super quick and responsive.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #997 of 3,161

Did you click on the link to see that it says "direct", meaning it is playing natively, even DSD512?

Screenshot_20200913-081316.png

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #999 of 3,161
New problem now in relation to MQA through Tidal. On MQA tracks not only is there a half-second gap as it shifts from eg 96k to being fully unfolded by the R8. On about one-in-four occasions, the tracks starts in slow motion before the unfolding happens. Then it goes to normal speed. Anyone else getting this? Any ideas?

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #1,000 of 3,161
R8 Update: TH900, Balanced, Turbo. Wow. DMPZ1 can't even do this.

It's like a new headphone...I can't use the TH900 without R8 now. It sounds lifeless and dull otherwise. What have you done Hiby!!
I was on the fence with TH900mk2 or the D9200. After @DarginMahkum recommendation and reading quite a bit of the review, probably getting D9200 after R8 lands in my hands hopefully soon!

I am glad these two sync well with R8!

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #1,001 of 3,161
I was on the fence with TH900mk2 or the D9200. After @DarginMahkum recommendation and reading quite a bit of the review, probably getting D9200 after R8 lands in my hands hopefully soon!

I am glad these two sync well with R8!

TH900 (I had MK1) has more puncy bass and more elevated treble. Some people find it too much. D9200 is a tamed version of it. You might also like the TH900. They both are a lot of fun.

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #1,002 of 3,161
I am really interested in the R8, but am hesitant due to all the hissing reports. I never considered the R6 because of hissing in reviews I read.

If you are willing to use sensitive IEMs from from balanced output with high gain and turbo mode, you should not consider R8. There are 12 pairing possibilities (2 - balanced/ unbalanced, [times] 2 - turbo on/off, [times] 3 gain modes low/mid/high), and there is especially one among them (balanced / turbo / high gain) that is meant for driving hard to drive headphones, and somehow people have the affinity to use their sensitive IEMs in this mode for some reason, even though Hiby states that it is meant for full sized HPs:

A new Turbo mode The power output may be adjusted. Turn on Turbo mode to increase power supply voltage on hardware level and change the headphone amp’s working conditions, to drive over-ear headphones with more power and dynamic range.

Anyone with a prerequisite of balanced output with a highest gain possibility, no matter how high the power output is should stick to much less powerful devices, if they are sensitive IEM users. Best would be a player without a turbo mode, as one can always develop the urge to enable it.

Others that are ready to sacrifice from enabling the high gain mode, turbo mode and / or using the SE output that has the same sound quality as the balanced, can pretty much enjoy a very versatile player.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #1,003 of 3,161
R8 Update: TH900, Balanced, Turbo. Wow. DMPZ1 can't even do this.

It's like a new headphone...I can't use the TH900 without R8 now. It sounds lifeless and dull otherwise. What have you done Hiby!!
I need to know how the HD800 sounds with the R8 in balanced/turbo. If it can make the HD800 sing, I'll be very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back