HiBy R8 User Impressions
Sep 4, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #691 of 3,161
In all seriousness, I feel for you, man. Just when you narrow it down to two DAPs you want to get, something new is released and you are back to square one, every few months since we are having this discussion with you for over a year now. But there is a silver lining to this, because your current QPxR DAPs still tick all the boxes since you are not in a rush to upgrade them :wink:

He sure is taking his time :relaxed:

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #692 of 3,161
In all seriousness, I feel for you, man. Just when you narrow it down to two DAPs you want to get, something new is released and you are back to square one, every few months since we are having this discussion with you for over a year now. But there is a silver lining to this, because your current QPxR DAPs still tick all the boxes since you are not in a rush to upgrade them :wink:
QP's are great. Also, UI should be a deciding factor, when sq is similar. I would bet Hiby wins that category.

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #693 of 3,161
So, downloaded the latest UAPP and looks like R8 support is in, with some small quirk that playing a FLAC file after DSD is most of the time not possible (interestingly, when I play a 88.2 kHz file it is back to normal). It is possible to play up to DSD512, Tidal and Qobuz natively on R8 (I am not sure about the MQA from Tidal - check the screenshot).

Screenshot_20200904-113542.png
Screenshot_20200904-113826.png
Screenshot_20200904-114424.png
Screenshot_20200904-115227.png

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #694 of 3,161
So, downloaded the latest UAPP and looks like R8 support is in, with some small quirk that playing a FLAC file after DSD is most of the time not possible (interestingly, when I play a 88.2 kHz file it is back to normal). It is possible to play up to DSD512, Tidal and Qobuz natively on R8 (I am not sure about the MQA from Tidal - check the screenshot).

I heavily depend on UAPP so this is a welcome news!

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #695 of 3,161
For consistency, decided to do another battery run with Turbo On under the exact sample conditions, and confirmed 11hr 40min before R8 shutdown. Then, did 2 separate runs under the same exact conditions with Turbo Off, and got 12hr 40min run before R8 shutdown. Again, this is "best case scenario" with easy to drive IEMs (Odin) from bal on med gain, display/Wifi/BT off.
I thought turbo mode would be another form of high gain but I guess I'm wrong ????

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #696 of 3,161
I thought turbo mode would be another form of high gain but I guess I'm wrong ????

Turbo mode boosts the output voltage of headphone amplifier. Depending on your earphones/headphones, this could improve the sound and could also drain more battery. My example demonstrates only 1 less hour of playback using more efficient Odin iems. They are not power hungry, and 1hr less battery (from 12:40hr to 11:40hr) is a small price to pay for a noticeable sound improvement.

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #697 of 3,161

True. I am in no rush and want to have the money saved for any dap up to $3000 so I can get what I want and not settle. I feel IEMs are more important than the dap, so money went into them or I would have bought by now. I am very patient. When the time comes I will buy.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #698 of 3,161
True. I am in no rush and want to have the money saved for any dap up to $3000 so I can get what I want and not settle. I feel IEMs are more important than the dap, so money went into them or I would have bought by now. I am very patient. When the time comes I will buy.

You are the audiophile idol. :)

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #699 of 3,161
I agree, IEMs first source second. I am into 2.5mm so fortunately, I love A&K, so it works. I will use an adapter with the R8. To me, only from what I have read, the UI in the Precision can only improve. Alex can answer that more than I.

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #700 of 3,161
I agree, IEMs first source second. I am into 2.5mm so fortunately, I love A&K, so it works. I will use an adapter with the R8. To me, only from what I have read, the UI in the Precision can only improve. Alex can answer that more than I.

My thoughts too. I was using the following upgrade path:

1. IEMs - complete
2. Dap
3. Cables

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #701 of 3,161
My thoughts too. I was using the following upgrade path:

1. IEMs - complete
2. Dap
3. Cables

Very systematic indeed :thumbsup:

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #702 of 3,161
I must say I am very intrigued by beast like the R8 and DX220 Max and can't wait to read @twister6 review especially comparisons to LPGT... I already enjoyed the comparison section from the DX220 Max review, very insightful as usual!

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #703 of 3,161
I must say I am very intrigued by beast like the R8 and DX220 Max and can't wait to read @twister6 review especially comparisons to LPGT... I already enjoyed the comparison section from the DX220 Max review, very insightful as usual!

I’m so tempted to buy the R8 but the Max staging is seriously impressive, and I just can’t see the R8 topping it. It’s the only thing holding me back.

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #704 of 3,161
I’m so tempted to buy the R8 but the Max staging is seriously impressive, and I just can’t see the R8 topping it. It’s the only thing holding me back.

You heard both?

Max is tempting, there is one in stock 12km away from me so... but the two charger, lack of physical buttons, overall bigger form factor is to be taken into account... thing is given my use case where I use the DAP mostly at home and office (since I am commuting on a scooter) make both the R8 and Max interesting propositions. While the LPGT BT DAC is nice, it's not the same as a fully streaming capable DAP which is also most of my usage.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #705 of 3,161
Max is tempting, there is one in stock 12km away from me so... but the two charger, lack of physical buttons, overall bigger form factor is to be taken into account... thing is given my use case where I use the DAP mostly at home and office (since I am commuting on a scooter) make it an interresting proposition. While BT DAC is nice, it's not the same as a fully streaming capable DAP which is also most of my usage.

Travel is non existent for me right now so the max is basically a desktop setup for me, or I move it around my room, so it doesn’t bug me with the size and what not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back