HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #346 of 3,161
At first, I thought the case is useless (one of my first posts), but actually it is not. It is a very good secure storage for the DAP and also your IEMs, tips and cables...
1593854864876.jpeg
1593854672843.jpeg

1593854725404.png

1593854761125.png

1593854807817.jpeg

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #347 of 3,161
So, better than dx220 max and m15?

Better has so many meanings and use cases these days. :) Compared to M15, its sound appeals to me more and it is more extended and has lower impedance outputs. I find the mids of M15 very velvety, though. I really like it. And R8 has a faster system. But It is also heavier and as @gLer mentioned, the ports are at the bottom. The M15 is a very user friendly device, and I like its design and user friendliness (location of ports, having all types of outputs etc) more than anything else. But R8 is _really_ good sounding and very well designed device.

For MAX, it is difficult to say. I think one should listen and decide. None is lacking anything in the sound quality. As also previously mentioned, it is also about your use cases and IEMs, HPs and how well they pair with each other, the types of music you listen to.

How’s the battery life so far?

I didn't check it, really. I didn't even charge it yet.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #348 of 3,161
Better has so many meanings and use cases these days. :) Compared to M15, its sound appeals to me more and it is more extended and has lower impedance outputs. I find the mids of M15 very velvety, though. I really like it. And R8 has a faster system. But It is also heavier and as @gLer mentioned, the ports are at the bottom. The M15 is a very user friendly device, and I like its design and user friendliness (location of ports, having all types of outputs etc) more than anything else. But R8 is _really_ good sounding and very well designed device.

For MAX, it is difficult to say. I think one should listen and decide. None is lacking anything in the sound quality. As also previously mentioned, it is also about your use cases and IEMs, HPs and how well they pair with each other, the types of music you listen to.
What HPs have you tried with R8 so far? I am more into IEM but I would love to have the Verite Closed in the house but not through a desktop system. Already had the one but sold it since I didnt like the idea of sitting down at one place to listen!

If this can power Verite Closed or Stellia, then for me its a no brainer to get this!

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #349 of 3,161
What HPs have you tried with R8 so far? I am more into IEM but I would love to have the Verite Closed in the house but not through a desktop system. Already had the one but sold it since I didnt like the idea of sitting down at one place to listen!

If this can power Verite Closed or Stellia, then for me its a no brainer to get this!

I tried it with Stellia and A18t. I also have the HD800, which I didn't try yet. I don't have any other HPs. It has the Turbo mode and 3 levels of gain, so let's say 6 stages, and I am only using the low gain without the turbo mode, meaning the first of the 6 stages. With Stellia at that stage after about 50-53% volume it becomes too loud.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #350 of 3,161
I tried it with Stellia and A18t. I also have the HD800, which I didn't try yet. I don't have any other HPs. It has the Turbo mode and 3 levels of gain, so let's say 6 stages, and I am only using the low gain without the turbo mode, meaning the first of the 6 stages. With Stellia at that stage after about 50-53% volume it becomes too loud.
Great so enough to power what I am looking for, thats a relief!

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #351 of 3,161
How does this great song sound on it ?

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #352 of 3,161
I'd love to hear your impressions on the HD800. That's always been my test. It's very easy to get the HD800 loud enough - the challenge is synergy and driving it to its full potential so that if doesn't sound thin or too bright (a sure sign of poor synergy or a poor amp). I haven't as yet encountered a DAP that can do that, even in balanced mode.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #356 of 3,161
Jul 4, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #358 of 3,161
If anyone's wondering: USB-OTG harddisk connection works. Here I have a 2TB (€75) disk connected to my R8. I can even play DSD512 without any problems. Internal storage, SD card and 2TB harddisk...

20200704_205357.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #359 of 3,161
Jul 5, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #360 of 3,161
Today, I did some more extensive listening this time together with my wife, on Focal Stellia. I think for transparency, details and extension, MAX is the king. R8 is still great and with denser textures and fuller sound, but MAX is the MAX for a reason. But it is a weird Frankenstein's monster with dual chargers etc., heavy body and slow system. I wanted to sell the MAX, but I cannot. First time I am deciding to keep two DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back