HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jul 7, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #376 of 3,161
Jul 12, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #379 of 3,161
Battery life of R8 vs MAX, continously playing DSD512 from an internal SD Card. The flat part on R8 graph is where I forgot it connected to the USB, so you can subtract one hour from the result. I used the iBasso provided load / burn-in cable instead of a headphone. R8 result:
1594568423457.png

MAX:
1594568510924.png

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #380 of 3,161
Battery life of R8 vs MAX, continously playing DSD512 from an internal SD Card. The flat part on R8 graph is where I forgot it connected to the USB, so you can subtract one hour from the result. I used the iBasso provided load / burn-in cable instead of a headphone. R8 result:
1594568423457.png

MAX:
1594568510924.png
So 10 hours to 21% on R8 & 4 hours to 12% on Max?

Max result feels so bad that it seems like a flawed measurement. Less than 5 hours playtime from full charge — when the maker says 14 hours ‘average’. I guess the 14 hours could be for 128k mp3 files into efficient earbuds out of SE.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, just saying that is a very surprising result. Or perhaps I’m mis-interpreting your post.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #381 of 3,161
So 10 hours to 21% on R8 & 4 hours to 12% on Max?

Max result feels so bad that it seems like a flawed measurement. Less than 5 hours playtime from full charge — when the maker says 14 hours ‘average’. I guess the 14 hours could be for 128k mp3 files into efficient earbuds out of SE.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, just saying that is a very surprising result. Or perhaps I’m mis-interpreting your post.

I think we are not here to discuss the MAX, and it should better be done at the MAX thread (and I am sure you will have a lot of fun doing that). There is nothing surprising here. The MAX has 4400 mAh of battery for digital section and an old processor, so it is normal that it dies so quickly. I am sure the citizens of the MAX thread will be very happy to discuss with you what 14 hours of play time means. :)

The test result is impressive for R8, that even playing DSD512 it can reach up to 11-12 hours of play time.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #383 of 3,161
I think we are not here to discuss the MAX, and it should better be done at the MAX thread (and I am sure you will have a lot of fun doing that). There is nothing surprising here. The MAX has 4400 mAh of battery for digital section and an old processor, so it is normal that it dies so quickly. I am sure the citizens of the MAX thread will be very happy to discuss with you what 14 hours of play time means. :)

The test result is impressive for R8, that even playing DSD512 it can reach up to 11-12 hours of play time.
Yes, the result for the R8 is impressive.

But the result for the Max i surprising, and not consistent with what other have posted on the Max thread. Sorry if my request to the original poster for clarification upset you.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #384 of 3,161
Sorry if my request to the original poster for clarification upset you.

No, not at all. I know the MAX customers are very protective of their players and I just wouldn't want to see the mess from the iBasso threads being carried over to here.

By the way, this test seems to be an extreme case, playing DSD512. A more reasonable test would be playing a mixture of FLAC files, and I would not be surprised R8 hitting 13-14+ hours, with its 10000 mAh battery.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #385 of 3,161

I think satisfying you request would render this forum pretty useless for many people, because then questions like "how this DAP sounds compare to that DAP" shall not be asked, not to mention the answers and the following discussion.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #387 of 3,161
Jul 14, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #389 of 3,161
Here is the 44.1kHz FLAC test for R8. Unfortunately I forgot it in low gain instead of mid and 50% volume.

This is excellent! The LTE version will consume more power while streaming, but this is anyway expected. This DAP is a streamer dream come true. :)

Does anyone have any measurements? like could it fit in my pocket if I'm out and about ?

There are some photos comparing R8 to FiiO M15 in previous posts. It is a bit bigger and heavier, but not by a big margin. And if you want a device with such a large battery, LTE reception, lots of power output, powerful SoC / CPU, I think this is as good as it can get.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #390 of 3,161
This is excellent! The LTE version will consume more power while streaming, but this is anyway expected. This DAP is a streamer dream come true. :)

There are some photos comparing R8 to FiiO M15 in previous posts. It is a bit bigger and heavier, but not by a big margin. And if you want a device with such a large battery, LTE reception, lots of power output, powerful SoC / CPU, I think this is as good as it can get.
I can't seem to find any listing of the actual dimensions. I'm particularly interested in how 'thick' the device is as (for me) that affects its 'pocketability'. From the comparison pics, looks to be slightly less thick than the MAX, a bit thicker than M15. Correct?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back