HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jul 3, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #331 of 3,161
Appreciate the impressions. I love the SQ of the Max and honestly it ticks all my boxes, but this hobby is too fun not to try the newest stuff! I’ll be keeping an eye out here for when its available in the states and for more impressions, may give it a whirl.

Last year I left the hobby, now I have 3 DAPs. :p

Jul 3, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #333 of 3,161
It is technically excellent and close to N8 bottom end (actually in general reminds of N8) but highs are a bit in the direction of MAX. Mids are not overblown and in your face, but also not dull. I would describe the sound as very clean and well separated rather than just transparent. it is fun, very fun that I can follow some great e-bass lines and the harmonics without much of an effort. And maaan, I love it. But it is a quite detailed and textured bass, but of course the texture is from the upper harmonics. It could be the samba piece that I sent before, or the bass lines of Steve DiGiorgio in Testament metal recordings. If sound stage and transparency are for MAX (which caught my attention from the first instance), instrument separation and cleanness are for R8.

At least one of my players other than R8 will have to go. I still haven't fully made up my mind, though.
How would you compare the soundstage between the max and r8? You said that r8 have better separation than max. You mentioned the term transparency, can you please provide more details about that term. Thank you!

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #335 of 3,161
How would you compare the soundstage between the max and r8? You said that r8 have better separation than max. You mentioned the term transparency, can you please provide more details about that term. Thank you!

Hi. I am not a reviewer or a critical listener for a comparison. I don't think anyone of them is missing in either department. The stage on MAX is shocking good, when you put them on, it is the first thing that hits you. When you put the R8 on, it first gives you the feeling of being able to focus on instruments, and not having any bleed between them - I don't know how to describe it, I don't speak audiophile. :) That is what I mean clean. With R8 you hear denser textures, I have the feeling. I prefer the R8, as for me it sounds enough excellent and has very good system performance.

But again as I said, they are both excellent sounding devices - two of the best sounding DAPs. But especially if you are a streamer, R8 is I think the best all around option.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #336 of 3,161
Let me describe it with one sentence: This thing is streamers wet dream. :p

Hi. I am not a reviewer or a critical listener for a comparison. I don't think anyone of them is missing in either department. The stage on MAX is shocking good, when you put them on, it is the first thing that hits you. When you put the R8 on, it first gives you the feeling of being able to focus on instruments, and not having any bleed between them - I don't know how to describe it, I don't speak audiophile. :) That is what I mean clean. With R8 you hear denser textures, I have the feeling. I prefer the R8, as for me it sounds enough excellent and has very good system performance.

But again as I said, they are both excellent sounding devices - two of the best sounding DAPs. But especially if you are a streamer, R8 is I think the best all around option, I think.
This is good to hear since I wanted a DAP that could stream with a sim card, let's headache of wifi sharing and storage cards, and finally my 4g plans will be used!!!

How did you get hold of one if I may ask?

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #337 of 3,161

But again as I said, they are both excellent sounding devices - two of the best sounding DAPs. But especially if you are a streamer, R8 is I think the best all around option.

How’s the battery life so far?

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #338 of 3,161
How does this compare to say a hugo2 or ifi black label?

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #339 of 3,161
How does this compare to say a hugo2 or ifi black label?
The R6 Pro sounds better than the BL (at least with IEMs) so I imagine the R8 will sound significantly better. The Hugo2 is another matter entirely. Haven't heard one myself so I'd also be interested in that answer.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #340 of 3,161
Automatic screen rotation: Play and album selection screens...
1593852241169.png

1593852335982.png

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #344 of 3,161
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #345 of 3,161
Tested the screen double tap to wake and it works.
That's excellent. So far the only 'downside' of the R8, for me, is that the headphone ports are at the bottom. Doesn't make much sense when you're out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back