HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jul 4, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #3,137 of 3,161
Donā€™t know if any of you are Roon users, but Roon Arc is installable on R8 from Google Play store. Itā€™s starting to be a reliable app and now with the MUSE DSP function you can apply EQ in the app to all your audio devices- i find it adds to the R8ā€™s own global MSEB EQ (indeed MSEB must be taken into account in Roon Arc EQ settings). It is amazing to me how this little player is holding up over time. Last year I bought a Cayin N6mkii for backup when I need to send the R8 to China for battery replacement. The N6mkii had to go for repairs first- R8 is still grooving along.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #3,139 of 3,161
Donā€™t know if any of you are Roon users, but Roon Arc is installable on R8 from Google Play store. Itā€™s starting to be a reliable app and now with the MUSE DSP function you can apply EQ in the app to all your audio devices- i find it adds to the R8ā€™s own global MSEB EQ (indeed MSEB must be taken into account in Roon Arc EQ settings). It is amazing to me how this little player is holding up over time. Last year I bought a Cayin N6mkii for backup when I need to send the R8 to China for battery replacement. The N6mkii had to go for repairs first- R8 is still grooving along.
I just started to play around Roon. Very nice to use user interface. Unfortunately bitperfect playback is not supported. If you use EQ it is not bit perfect anyway.

Jul 9, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #3,141 of 3,161
I just started to play around Roon. Very nice to use user interface. Unfortunately bitperfect playback is not supported. If you use EQ it is not bit perfect anyway.
If you are using R8, USB Audio Player Pro is probably better for that - it does have bit-perfect playback.

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #3,142 of 3,161
Aug 6, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #3,143 of 3,161
Hey Guys, I'm having a problem with my R8, it's connected to the internet, apps are working, and I can go online, but when I hit play on any of my music apps the response is that thereā€™s not a connection.

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #3,145 of 3,161
Hey Guys, I'm having a problem with my R8, it's connected to the internet, apps are working, and I can go online, but when I hit play on any of my music apps the response is that thereā€™s not a connection.
Sorry for the late reply. Can you check that you are in the right time zone, date and time?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #3,147 of 3,161
Alcantara might be less likely to get scratches...

006KWzx5gy1hk9tllipeij31jk3347wh.jpg
006KWzx5gy1hkegj1oap3j31jk3347wh.jpg
006KWzx5gy1hkfle2yuntj32bc334npd.jpg

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #3,148 of 3,161
Hi @Joe Bloggs , I have been having a somewhat disturbing issue with my R8 unit. It's been going once in a while, but it happened for the 3rd time yesterday (and before, it happened like once in every 10 months):

I plugged my R8 to a USB C cable out of a screen at work. It charged just fine. Then I had to find another screen. So I unplugged the R8 to plug it to another USB C cable coming out of another screen (still being at work). As I don't see the red LED nor the screen powering up, I try pressing the power button. Nothing. Ok, I long-press the power button. Still nothing. Turns out the R8 is bricked basically. I tried connecting the unit to a Windows computer, no peripheral is showing up.

As I said, it already happened twice before, but that time is special since the R8 doesn't heat up (thus, leading to believe it was stuck in some kind of random loop that hangs the CPU). So contrary to the previous times, I'm skeptikal about the possibility of letting it discharge overnight and re-charge it once the battery is 100% drained. That was the "solution" I applied successfully before.
Fortunately, after 2 days of patient waiting, it turns out the R8 seemingly drained itself out 100% because when I tried plugging it this morning, the screen lighted up! It is now still charging, but I have good hope to have it back on.

My question then: are similar issues known on other R8? And is there any way to get rid of this (either by software update or repair service)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #3,149 of 3,161
R8 fellow users- I had some additional input from Andrew @MusicTeck on the
issue to which @xenithon so helpfully and promptly responded (many thanks again!) Andrewā€™s recommendation was first to keep R8 on a charger for 2-3 hours, then unplug it and connect to usb port of a laptop or PC and leave it for an hour. If it doesnā€™t help to re-start it, then to do the soft hw reset: hold power button and next track button for about 30sec - as @xenithon recommended

I informed him that I had already done the soft hw reset (this was apparently fine and in future I will just try that first as it took about 30 sec to resolve the problem as opposed to ~4 hours the other way- I asked him about that and it seems ok to do as long as R8ā€™s battery is not fully discharged).

I then provided additional info: I recently acquired an Eletech 4.4 mm Socrates dual interconnect (copper based), for using the R8 with my Cayin C9 portable amp. At the time I last powered off the R8 device before the ā€˜freezeā€™ occurred it was connected using that to the C9. I stopped music play, turned the C9 off first then powered off the R8 but they were still connected. Neither was connected to a USB charger (there is potential for short circuit due to a grounding issue in the C9, ie the rule isā€™ donā€™t charge both devices at the same timeā€™ and to be safe I don't charge either at all while playing). I asked was this possibly related to what happened on the R8?

@MusicTeck ā€™s response: ā€œWe donā€™t think any of this is related to how you used R8 and C9 before, since you shut down the DAP afterwards. Itā€™s OK to power down C9 and then R8 when they are interconnected, though, itā€™s a good idea to first power down the source (R8) and then external amplifier (C9). Sometimes things happen, after all, these are Android devices like your smartphone, mini ā€œcomputersā€ with operating system and their own software. Another thing, R8 is a smart device, if it detects anything related to a short or power spike, it will enter overprotection mode, which could be another reason for what happened to you. In a future, if something locks up, try that soft hw reset first after making sure the device is fully charged up.ā€

So there you have it. R8 has a protective mode. Try to avoid to trigger R8ā€™s protective mode by turning it off while connected to C9 or another external amp and before powering off the amp. In future I will be much more careful.

Ok, so I guess my issue comes down to this explanation.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #3,150 of 3,161

Users who are viewing this thread

Back