HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jan 23, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #2,146 of 3,161
Unfortunately Wavelet won't really work with any HiBy Android player, not because of any inherent problem with the app (whatever those might be), but because the much sought after (by audiophiles) feature of Direct Transport Architecture (i.e. systemwide bitperfect audio) meant bypassing the Android audio stack which Wavelet works exclusively on.

Wavelet worked for me on the R8 with Spotify with no issues. Also other Music Apps might work with Wavelet in Legacy Mode. In Legacy Mode there’s only a feature missing, I don’t care of anyways.

I think Wavelet is pretty much the best Equalizer when it comes to ease of use. It just lets you easily select your Headphone profile and then you can tune the result to your liking e.g. by adding some Bass. Moreover, you can adjust the intensity of the loaded profile from 1-100% and adjust even more. Alle the mentioned features even work without need to pay for the app!

Of course, I supported the developer and purchased this great app.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #2,147 of 3,161
Wavelet worked for me on the R8 with Spotify with no issues. Also other Music Apps might work with Wavelet in Legacy Mode. In Legacy Mode there’s only a feature missing, I don’t care of anyways.

I think Wavelet is pretty much the best Equalizer when it comes to ease of use. It just lets you easily select your Headphone profile and then you can tune the result to your liking e.g. by adding some Bass. Moreover, you can adjust the intensity of the loaded profile from 1-100% and adjust even more. Alle the mentioned features even work without need to pay for the app!

Of course, I supported the developer and purchased this great app.
Except, as Joe mentioned, you're limited to Android audio, so 48khz max. All your hi-res stuff will be downsampled. Not an issue if you're listening to compressed Spotify music, ofc, but then you're not making the most of the R8's audio hardware either.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #2,148 of 3,161
Adding to the post of @gLer's post, the difference between a high end desktop unit like T+A HA200 and TOTL DAPs (I compared R8, DX220MAX and SP2000) is very audible and it is not a fair comparison. There is the DAC component, which you cannot change (maybe you can add a Hugo2 but then you don't need a TOTL DAP), and there is the amplifier component which you can upgrade by using the line out of your DAP and adding an external portable amplifier like Romi BX2+ or Cayin C9. That is, if you want a transportable solution.

I think pairing a DAP with a good portable amplifier is as close as you can get to a desktop setup. Even though R8 is one of the most powerful DAPs out there, it still cannot reach the level of what a portable amplifier can deliver.

If I would know what the BX2+ can deliver, and if R6 2020 would be available at the time that I bought the R8, I would rather probably go for a R6 2020 with a BX2+ duo for my full size headphones for a transportable solution - which is probably what I am going to do, anyway.
Great points and I fully agree. If you're using full size headphones, DAPs can't physically reach the power and drive of a high-end full size desktop amp. But, if you're using IEMs, you don't need that power, in which case even the power of an R8 is overkill. This is the same reason I switched to portable gear, so I wouldn't have to be tethered to desktop DAC/amps.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #2,149 of 3,161
Great points and I fully agree. If you're using full size headphones, DAPs can't physically reach the power and drive of a high-end full size desktop amp
Hope I'm not missing that much with my TH900 mk2, because considering stacking other equipment to my R8 wouldn't be an option for me. So happy with this duo.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #2,150 of 3,161
Hope I'm not missing that much with my TH900 mk2, because considering stacking other equipment to my R8 wouldn't be an option for me. So happy with this duo.
Not at all, I think you'll be getting great sound from that combo. The TH-900 is very easy to drive, so something as powerful and refined as the R8 is ideal. It's bigger planars and high-ohm headphones that are less suited to portable players.

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #2,151 of 3,161

You might maybe get something more with stacking, but R8 is an excellent single device solution.

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2,152 of 3,161
Except, as Joe mentioned, you're limited to Android audio, so 48khz max. All your hi-res stuff will be downsampled. Not an issue if you're listening to compressed Spotify music, ofc, but then you're not making the most of the R8's audio hardware either.
I'd think it was still an issue since it's using the Android OS path vs a dedicated one.

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #2,153 of 3,161

Oh, good point. I wasn‘t aware. I think this might be a psychological problem indeed but I am a guy who truly believes in science. And science proofed that nobody can hear a difference in sound quality from 256kbit/s compressed files as long as they are created from the same / equally good source and in a high quality process like all the streaming services do. But, yes, psychology plays a part in this game and even with all the science I also still fall into this trap.

Great points and I fully agree. If you're using full size headphones, DAPs can't physically reach the power and drive of a high-end full size desktop amp. But, if you're using IEMs, you don't need that power, in which case even the power of an R8 is overkill. This is the same reason I switched to portable gear, so I wouldn't have to be tethered to desktop DAC/amps.

Depends. The R8 was perfectly able to drive my Hifiman Arya, a not so easy to drive planar magnetic. It needs 1W/32Ohms to shine and the R8 delivers. You would need something like a Heddphone or the like to be underpowered by the R8. So, it‘s quite comparable to desktop amps, even more powerful than many (like e.g. L30).

I own the TH900 and the R8 can easily drive them, even through the 3.5mm SE Port!

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,154 of 3,161
Oh, good point. I wasn‘t aware. I think this might be a psychological problem indeed but I am a guy who truly believes in science. And science proofed that nobody can hear a difference in sound quality from 256kbit/s compressed files as long as they are created from the same / equally good source and in a high quality process like all the streaming services do. But, yes, psychology plays a part in this game and even with all the science I also still fall into this trap.

Hi res files are better and It's audible and it's not psychological... but, there is a but my personal take is that bitrate is less important an improvement as bit depth, 24 bit / 48kHz is a good compromise in that regard... the increased dynamic range is very apparent from 16 bits 96dB and 24 bits 144dB of potential with best DAPs take advantage of with 120/125dB dynamic range. More apparent on less compressed music so there is that as well with loudness war most modern stuff is highly compressed so I do get why there wouldn't be much of a perceived difference but for well recorded well mastered stuff it's real and it's there and can be spotted blindfolded.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2,155 of 3,161
If you are convinced, go for it :)

Speaking only for myself: After many years comparing „normal“ vs. high-res (nowadays e.g. Apple Music vs. Tidal MQA and others like Amazon HD, Spotify), I can hear 0 difference in sound quality when both sources are volume matched. Most of the Times, when directly going from Tidal to Apple Music the later is louder and initially „sounds better“. After Volume Matching, they are the same.
*all tested without EQing etc.

But I hear great differences when using different eq settings (even with minimal changes of 1-2 dB) and of course different headphones / IEMs.

I even tried recently and downloaded a free album from „HDTracks“. A single song has a crazy size of more than 100Megebytes! Of course the „High-Res“ files sound exactly the same as on Tidal or Apple Music :)

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #2,157 of 3,161
The new DX300 has a 64 page User's Guide! What does the HiBy R8 "STILL" have..? A one-page quick start guide...:rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::angry::angry:
Ridiculous! I don't want to have to "discover" the features of my player!
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Now be a good little kid and go read your DX300 manual.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,158 of 3,161
Now be a good little kid and go read your DX300 manual.
Easy Sparky, don't make things personal. Whether you agree with me or not on another forum thread shouldn't be any reason to get snippy here. I own an R8 and have many times expressed irritation about a flagship (heck, any) DAP not having a proper user's manual.
As far as the other thread, I made my apologies there.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Thanks for the "kid" moniker. But you'd have to be pretty old to rate being able to call me that.:wink:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #2,159 of 3,161
Easy Sparky, don't make things personal. Whether you agree with me or not on another forum thread shouldn't be any reason to get snippy here. I own an R8 and have many times expressed irritation about a flagship (heck, any) DAP not having a proper user's manual.
As far as the other thread, I made my apologies there.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Thanks for the "kid" moniker. But you'd have to be pretty old to rate being able to call me that.:wink:

Apologies for the quick response being a bit out of place. The MAX subject still irritates me somehow. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back