HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jan 18, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,131 of 3,161
After Qobuz, I started the Hiby app and it wouldn't play, so rebooted and it is again not working. :frowning2: I am pretty sure it did work but I need to find out the exact procedure I followed.
Yeah same here, never worked properly! I bought the UAPP PEQ but most available PEQ settings are 10 bands and I was just too lazy! MSEB works for me for now!

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #2,132 of 3,161
Yeah same here, never worked properly! I bought the UAPP PEQ but most available PEQ settings are 10 bands and I was just too lazy! MSEB works for me for now!
You can expand the UAPP PEQ to 10 bands (under settings).

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #2,133 of 3,161
OK, I found a deterministic but ugly way. While playing enable the EQ (in Legacy mode), then plug the HP out then plug it back in and restart playing. Then Wavelet EQ works.

The reason I wanted to use it was for offline downloaded Qobuz files. But as mentioned, it is an ugly method.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2,136 of 3,161
Ooooo i likey likey! Thanks, may give it a go! I hardly use the app though ever since PlexAmp came!
I see PlexAmp needs a Plex Pass, which I don't have. Is it worth it? How would you say it's better than UAPP? Does it also integrate Tidal and play hi-res/MQA files from your Plex library?

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #2,137 of 3,161
I see PlexAmp needs a Plex Pass, which I don't have. Is it worth it? How would you say it's better than UAPP? Does it also integrate Tidal and play hi-res/MQA files from your Plex library?
It's not better than UAPP or worse, but sound quality is better compared to the native app. It doesn't do MQA but when I compared the same song with the native app, the native app sounded veiled to my ears. Yes it integrates with Tidal. And since my library is in Gdrive, I don't have to use UPNP which was the case with UAPP.

Jan 19, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #2,138 of 3,161
Oh wow! My Romi BX2+ has arrived and I have to say, it transformed the R8 into something clearer, much more powerful. The pairing with T+A Solitaire P is jaw dropping good for a (trans)portable setup with this test track (try listening to it from a clearer source):

The slam just got bigger, punchier, better controlled, clearer and with more depth detail. You nearly feel the air moving. This is maybe the best €560 I spent for a for a portable device!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #2,139 of 3,161
Oh wow! My Rmi BX2+ has arrived and I have to say, it transformed the R8 to something clearer, much more powerful. The pairing with T+A Solitaire P is jaw dropping good for a (trans)portable setup with this test track (try listening to it from a clearer source):

The slam just got bigger, punchier, better controlled, clearer and with more depth detail. You nearly feel the air moving. This is maybe the best €560 I spent for a for a portable device!

Ahem ahem.... Told you so :D

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #2,140 of 3,161
Do you hear a difference? Because i installed it few months back and got the D9200 EQ from that github project, didn't do anything audible for me, was using Tidal/UAPP/Spotify
Unfortunately Wavelet won't really work with any HiBy Android player, not because of any inherent problem with the app (whatever those might be), but because the much sought after (by audiophiles) feature of Direct Transport Architecture (i.e. systemwide bitperfect audio) meant bypassing the Android audio stack which Wavelet works exclusively on.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #2,141 of 3,161
Unfortunately Wavelet won't really work with any HiBy Android player, not because of any inherent problem with the app (whatever those might be), but because the much sought after (by audiophiles) feature of Direct Transport Architecture (i.e. systemwide bitperfect audio) meant bypassing the Android audio stack which Wavelet works exclusively on.
Ah that's good to know!

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #2,143 of 3,161
Didn't read the whole thread but can anybody compare the R8 to a full endgame desktop setup on something like the utopia?
What do you consider a full endgame desktop setup and does it align with the R8's price point? Generally speaking, if you want to get the maximum out of a high-end desktop headphone, you need a high-end desktop setup. For IEMs, in my experience, the R8 should get most IEMs to their maximum without too much trouble. Less so with high-end headphones. While the R8 is excellent with the HD800 (balanced), driving it with authority, the HD800 will no doubt scale even higher with a high-end tube amp for example. Utopia should be easier to drive portably, so the R8 should do a stellar job with it, especially balanced, though I haven't personally heard the combination to say for sure.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #2,144 of 3,161
What do you consider a full endgame desktop setup and does it align with the R8's price point? Generally speaking, if you want to get the maximum out of a high-end desktop headphone, you need a high-end desktop setup. For IEMs, in my experience, the R8 should get most IEMs to their maximum without too much trouble. Less so with high-end headphones. While the R8 is excellent with the HD800 (balanced), driving it with authority, the HD800 will no doubt scale even higher with a high-end tube amp for example. Utopia should be easier to drive portably, so the R8 should do a stellar job with it, especially balanced, though I haven't personally heard the combination to say for sure.
With full endgame setup i mean around 5× the price of the Hiby.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #2,145 of 3,161
Didn't read the whole thread but can anybody compare the R8 to a full endgame desktop setup on something like the utopia?

Adding to the post of @gLer's post, the difference between a high end desktop unit like T+A HA200 and TOTL DAPs (I compared R8, DX220MAX and SP2000) is very audible and it is not a fair comparison. There is the DAC component, which you cannot change (maybe you can add a Hugo2 but then you don't need a TOTL DAP), and there is the amplifier component which you can upgrade by using the line out of your DAP and adding an external portable amplifier like Romi BX2+ or Cayin C9. That is, if you want a transportable solution.

I think pairing a DAP with a good portable amplifier is as close as you can get to a desktop setup. Even though R8 is one of the most powerful DAPs out there, it still cannot reach the level of what a portable amplifier can deliver.

If I would know what the BX2+ can deliver, and if R6 2020 would be available at the time that I bought the R8, I would rather probably go for a R6 2020 with a BX2+ duo for my full size headphones for a transportable solution - which is probably what I am going to do, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back