Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Jan 17, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #2,866 of 4,006
My R6 Pro was delivered Thursday so I grabbed it from my apartment's office before leaving for work for the night. In my haste I forgot to grab my headphones so I had it in my hands with no way to listen to it. Fortunately I had my laptop and micro SD card so I was able to load it with music and get Poweramp configured to my liking. I wasn't able to get home until around noon today to finally give it a listen.

I was skeptical about using a DAP in the age of capable enough phones. It may be the honeymoon phase kicking in but I'm thoroughly satisfied. It sounds great with my Anole VX and the interface is snappier than expected.

I'm being flooded with nostalgia, reminiscing about the days of my old Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 and various Zune devices. There's something great about having a player meant just for music. Fewer distractions. I was tempted to avoid Android DAPs because of the urge to load it with distracting apps but I couldn't find one that looked like the right fit for me. I'm happy with the R6 Pro. Using screen pinning allows me to emulate that dedicated DAP feeling while keeping some of those Android conveniences on hand. I love Poweramp so this seems like it was the right choice.

As of right now my only gripes are the lack of tap-to-wake on the screen and the media control buttons seem like they're labeled wrong. I've adjusted to them already but when you look at the straight on, they definitely function opposite of how they appear. Neither of these are deal breakers. I don't have to turn the screen on very often when I'm shuffling tracks and I'm already adjusted to the buttons.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #2,868 of 4,006
Glad to hear that you're enjoying your new piece of kit With the buttons, I've also found that if the screen is off and the music is paused, pushing the play button doesn't respond right away. I've gotten into the habit of waking the screen with the power button and pressing play. It's sorta like a wat-cha-ma-call-it... uh, feature! Yeah, that's it! A play lock feature.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #2,869 of 4,006
Not trying to be a smart ass here but honestly the best advice is to find headphones that don't need eq.

EQ is good to get you out of a bad situation - but from a purist point of view eq can add phase issues and other bad voodoo. It's best avoided.

There won't be a silver bullet setting.

Eq will depend on

The headphone type
Your indevidual hearing

So it's best to dive in and make a project out of tweaking around.Using suggested paramiters will be like playing pin the tail on the donkey.

Play with it.
Ha thanks for the advice, Much appreciated!

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,870 of 4,006
Great answer! Speaking for myself, when I first got my hands on the R6, I Tinkered with the EQ and then Turned it off.

My cans (Sony MDR-1A) Actually sounded better to me Without any added EQ.

Of course MMV Obviously
Thanks Karl, music sounds great on some Lola’s MaxwellDot helped me pick out. My 3 methods are: wired to R6, wired to iPhone via an Audioquest Dragonfly Red, or ES100

I just heard people talk and talk about MSEB and thought I might be missing something

I’d say the weak link for me right now is wireless listening. I have some Jabra Elite 65t’s that sound... not terrible but damned close when compared to the Lola’s or my Audeze LCD-2’s

waiting to see if somebody comes out with some true wireless buds with LDAC and AptxHD

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #2,871 of 4,006
This is whyI love my Audeze products because they eq so well without distortion/phasing.

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #2,872 of 4,006
Thanks Karl, music sounds great on some Lola’s MaxwellDot helped me pick out. My 3 methods are: wired to R6, wired to iPhone via an Audioquest Dragonfly Red, or ES100

I just heard people talk and talk about MSEB and thought I might be missing something

I’d say the weak link for me right now is wireless listening. I have some Jabra Elite 65t’s that sound... not terrible but damned close when compared to the Lola’s or my Audeze LCD-2’s

waiting to see if somebody comes out with some true wireless buds with LDAC and AptxHD

Just looked up those cans of yours. A little too rich for my blood, but I’m envious ha ha.

Just started breaking in my Hidizs MS4’s, and so far, it’s pairing very well with the Pro.

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #2,873 of 4,006

Me too

But in the meantime could buy an ldac Bluetooth neckband for your iems. I have one on order.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2,874 of 4,006
Any update on when MQA is coming to this DAP? For me it's a must have.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #2,875 of 4,006
This is whyI love my Audeze products because they eq so well without distortion/phasing.
Hey it looks like you have a lot of great gear! I have some LCD-2’s, which were the first higher end headphones I’d listened to. Before I listened to them I thought Bose were the pinnacle :)

How do you like the Seinhesser Momentum Truly Wireless? Would they be a big step up in sound quality from Jabra’s 65? Maybe I’ll pick up a pair

(edit...) are there are other true wireless buds that you’d recommend that are better than the Sennheiser’s? that would be great advice too. Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2,877 of 4,006
Just looked up those cans of yours. A little too rich for my blood, but I’m envious ha ha.

Just started breaking in my Hidizs MS4’s, and so far, it’s pairing very well with the Pro.
Haha that’s nice of you to say. It’s a little intimidating on the forums sometimes seeing people with such high end gear

Honestly, I was driving and saw an audio store that looked interesting. I went in and then had a whole bunch of high end headphones. I tried them all and fell in love with the look and feel of the Audeze’s and the sound was breathtaking, since I know almost nothing about this stuff and I’d never listened to headphones over $300

what really made them sound amazing with the R6 pro is a custom balanced cable I bought from Bryan @ Zynsonix. Even to me the difference was shocking.

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #2,878 of 4,006
Fiio make a (new) one so do plussound.

I have a plussound on order expected shipping later this month.

I would like to see reviews for both they are too new I fear. So I am taking a punt.

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #2,879 of 4,006
Hey it looks like you have a lot of great gear! I have some LCD-2’s, which were the first higher end headphones I’d listened to. Before I listened to them I thought Bose were the pinnacle :)

How do you like the Seinhesser Momentum Truly Wireless? Would they be a big step up in sound quality from Jabra’s 65? Maybe I’ll pick up a pair

(edit...) are there are other true wireless buds that you’d recommend that are better than the Sennheiser’s? that would be great advice too. Thanks

Seinhesser truly wireless has some major flaws in terms of convenience.

The app made for them has a silly EQ that is annoying. And they need to be charged nightly because they don't go on standby mode.

While the fit and sound is great, I would suggest going for a competitor for this generation of truly wireless products.

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #2,880 of 4,006
A pity. The R6 Pro HE edition solves that specific issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back