Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #2,896 of 4,006
Bhphotovideo will probably give you a legitimate microSD card. While Fulfilled By Amazon is a risk if there are other sellers filling the Amazon warehouse bins.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #2,897 of 4,006
Is there a procedure to move data from one card to the other or do you have to re download EVERYTHING all over again?

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #2,898 of 4,006
Is there a procedure to move data from one card to the other or do you have to re download EVERYTHING all over again?

If it is offline files for a streaming service, then yes you need to re-download. It is all encrypted.

You can copy the entire card if it is for the same device. Otherwise the sd card will be another format for the new device.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #2,899 of 4,006
I wish I did have an update. From what I understand, and I could be wrong, the R5 recently received the MQA update.

If this is the case, hopefully the R6 won’t be too far behind.

As they say in the movies... “fuggedaboutit”. R5 and the upcoming R8 will have MQA. R6 is the odd man out. Makes no sense for them to bring it to R6 - R5 holds down the lower end hi-fi spot, and all the high end goodies go into the R8. Gives people willing to pay more money a reason to. Too much put into the R6 would take away revenue from the R8.

But then I am not in marketing... I would first have to lose a quarter of my IQ... ok, come on, the shot was there... who wouldn’t take it?

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #2,900 of 4,006
If it is offline files for a streaming service, then yes you need to re-download. It is all encrypted.

You can copy the entire card if it is for the same device. Otherwise the sd card will be another format for the new device.
I wonder if it's possible even for the same device, you probably need to clone the card somehow with an advanced programming to fool the Android into thinking you never changed cards...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #2,901 of 4,006
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #2,902 of 4,006
As they say in the movies... “fuggedaboutit”. R5 and the upcoming R8 will have MQA. R6 is the odd man out. Makes no sense for them to bring it to R6 - R5 holds down the lower end hi-fi spot, and all the high end goodies go into the R8. Gives people willing to pay more money a reason to. Too much put into the R6 would take away revenue from the R8.

But then I am not in marketing... I would first have to lose a quarter of my IQ... ok, come on, the shot was there... who wouldn’t take it?
I've had it with people. If you like to think like that, carry on. I'm not gonna care enough to get myself banned for trying to defend my company again. I'll just tell them to mark the update down another ten notches on the priority list maybe?

Last edited:

Jan 23, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #2,903 of 4,006

How do you copy a card? (Using a mac)

Jan 23, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #2,904 of 4,006
I've had it with people. If you like to think like that, carry on. I'm not gonna care enough to get myself banned for trying to defend my company again. I'll just tell them to mark the update down another ten notches on the priority list maybe?
Hang in there Joe! You’ve done a lot of great work connecting the community to the team at Hiby, and I, for one, have high hopes for the future. Let these quick, off-the-cuff comments roll off you like 18Khz on a 40+ year old’s ears (yeah I got the T-shirt) and have a festive CNY.

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #2,905 of 4,006
Hang in there Joe! You’ve done a lot of great work connecting the community to the team at Hiby, and I, for one, have high hopes for the future. Let these quick, off-the-cuff comments roll off you like 18Khz on a 40+ year old’s ears (yeah I got the T-shirt) and have a festive CNY.
I second that, Joe. Your contribution here is invaluable. Without it, many would likely abandon HiBy for more responsive vendors. That said, it would be useful if you could explain any technical hindrances to adding official MQA support in the R6 Pro, when the likes of FiiO are retrospectively adding it to their M11 line of DAPs, and HiBy is doing the same with the R5. I'm also convinced most R6 Pro users would jump at the chance to buy an MQA firmware add-on, much like UAPP does with its various add-on modules.

All this given the context that MQA itself is in financial trouble... Amazon ignoring MQA support was a hard hit for them.

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,907 of 4,006
What does MQA stand for and what is it?

Some company is basically trying to undo the loudness war altering of old published recordings.

Then they try to make the best remaster from better found source.

...that is how I understood it atleast. o_O;

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #2,908 of 4,006
What does MQA stand for and what is it?
Can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure MQA stands for "Snake Oil Authenticated"
It's a proprietary format that is trying to be sold as something new and improved...
When FLAC has already perfected digital delivery.
MQA is nonsense... just move on and leave it alone.
Thank me later.

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #2,909 of 4,006
Woa there @Joe Bloggs . I stated an opinion behind the thinking that is going into R6 decision. Given R3 and R5 have full MQA support for a while and there as been silence on R6 Pro, it is not unreasonable theory or speculation. If it is wrong you can EASILY refute it, but getting upset for a post that expresses a theory is not professional on your part, especially when there was nothing inherently insulting in the post.

If instead you are upset about the mild attempt at humor, well, I will advise slightly thicker skin.

I hope your employer is giving you some time off during Lunar New Year celebrations, as you might benefit from it.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #2,910 of 4,006
Here’s what I know about MQA. And let me say there are huge truck sized gaps in my understanding, but here goes. Essentially it’s a lossy format. Nestled in an inaudible range is information that gives higher sampling rates to the audible range. The first unfold, reads and plays back the basic MQA file. I believe it’s at 88.2K; however, to accommodate the nestled data, I think there is some loss of the original recording. The subsequent unfolds integrate and extend the sample rate up to ~340k.
I think of it like tuning a car. It has higher performance in a narrower range, but for what it was designed for, it performs.
Andrew Robinson asserts that these files are often remastered at higher more compressed (normalised volume) levels and as a result they may appear to the ear as being of higher quality when in fact they are simply louder

My personal opinion is that I can only hear a difference if I critically listen and compare tracks side by side. And in the end I feel we’re pretty spoiled for choice. I hate to say it but, to me, pretty much everything sounds pretty much good. I don’t have the most sensitive ears, but I do enjoy music and formats are not really a barrier to that enjoyment. I’m starting to come around to the perspective that the quality of the recording affects the music more than the format. It also helps to have nice equipment too.
I tried Tidal for a while and there are many nice things about it, but I found greater exposure and access to new music through user created playlists won out over format. Sure there are little differences, but how often do you sit and critically analyse a song you’ve heard 100 times?

Now get off my porch you damn hoodlums!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back