Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Jan 24, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #2,926 of 4,006
I'm looking into buying the r6 pro. I wanted to know the difference between the aluminum and stainless steel besides a $150 price difference. Also, whats a good inexpensive iem that I can pair with these? Or if anyone knows a set of good portable headphones.
Well, what do you mostly listen to and what do you listen to it with and where does all this happen?
I ask this, because it may be better to work with what you have rather than go for a nuclear option. What would you like more or less of with your current listening setup?

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,927 of 4,006
Yup aluminum is lighter. Stainless is less likely to get scratched,

But scratches is probably not a factor if you are keeping them both in the case that comes in the box.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #2,928 of 4,006
Well, what do you mostly listen to and what do you listen to it with and where does all this happen?
I ask this, because it may be better to work with what you have rather than go for a nuclear option. What would you like more or less of with your current listening setup?
I mostly listen to hiphop and pop with a mix of anime OST's etc. My current setup is a Hifiman He-500 with an R2R 11. My mobile setup is a pair of cheap sony earbuds with a fiio M1. I've had it for four years thus far.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #2,930 of 4,006
If you want a cheap upgrade for the HE-500, I would suggest getting the E1da PowerDac V2. It has p-EQ setting that will make the HE-500 sound better. Or you can manipulate it to sound however you want. The guy that created it actually made it for his Hifimans!

As for a portable in-ear...for Japanese music. You probably want something for female vocals and not warm sounding. I would suggest the Shuoer Tape as a great affordable iem for such...but it seems to have issues being fragile.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2,931 of 4,006
If you want a cheap upgrade for the HE-500, I would suggest getting the E1da PowerDac V2. It has p-EQ setting that will makr the HE-500 sound better. Or you can manipulate it to sound however you want.

As for a portable in-ear...for Japanese music. You probably want something for female vocals and not warm sounding.
i'm not looking for an upgrade for my room setup. I'm more than satisfied with the HE-500. It has lasted me 4 years and serves all my needs. I like to buy things once and forget about buying something else for a while. This is why I'm making such a jump for portable stuff. I want to keep this DAP for at least 4-5 years before I upgrade.

Additionally, I listen to all sorts of music. I don't have a bias for a particular genre. If something sounds good to me, I listen to it. So I suppose, I would be looking for something thats an all rounder.

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,932 of 4,006
It sounds to me like you want something that’s portable and has solid sound quality that will last you a while. I think the R6 pro has that and it has a lot of connection options. I have to say the build quality of the stainless steel is spot on, but I haven’t gotten my hands on the aluminium version yet. I have to say the weight for me as a pocketable option is a bit much, so if this is for running around, you may want to look into the aluminium option.
I find the battery life on single ended easily goes all day, but I also use the 4.4mm and that does draw a bit more power. I think the firmware is pretty dialled in and the battery drain issues have been resolved.
As for IEMs, I haven’t tried the Shuoer Tape, but I would think that isolation would be a priority and maybe infoseeker can speak to that.
My recommendation for IEM are the Acoustune HS1551CU. They’re a single dynamic driver and a solid metal case. These things are tough and are good all-rounders. They don’t isolate very well because they are ported, but they will certainly last.
link to showcase : https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/acoustune-hs1551-cu.22670/
Hope that helps

Jan 24, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #2,933 of 4,006
Happy Chinese New Year to everyone. Wishing you all a happy, healthy and successful year of the Rat. 恭喜發財

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #2,934 of 4,006
Here’s what I know about MQA. And let me say there are huge truck sized gaps in my understanding, but here goes. Essentially it’s a lossy format. Nestled in an inaudible range is information that gives higher sampling rates to the audible range. The first unfold, reads and plays back the basic MQA file. I believe it’s at 88.2K; however, to accommodate the nestled data, I think there is some loss of the original recording. The subsequent unfolds integrate and extend the sample rate up to ~340k.
I think of it like tuning a car. It has higher performance in a narrower range, but for what it was designed for, it performs.
Andrew Robinson asserts that these files are often remastered at higher more compressed (normalised volume) levels and as a result they may appear to the ear as being of higher quality when in fact they are simply louder

My personal opinion is that I can only hear a difference if I critically listen and compare tracks side by side. And in the end I feel we’re pretty spoiled for choice. I hate to say it but, to me, pretty much everything sounds pretty much good. I don’t have the most sensitive ears, but I do enjoy music and formats are not really a barrier to that enjoyment. I’m starting to come around to the perspective that the quality of the recording affects the music more than the format. It also helps to have nice equipment too.
I tried Tidal for a while and there are many nice things about it, but I found greater exposure and access to new music through user created playlists won out over format. Sure there are little differences, but how often do you sit and critically analyse a song you’ve heard 100 times?

Now get off my porch you damn hoodlums!

No disrespect intended as your write up is thoughtful, and I largely agree. However...

Whether a particular individual hears a small or big difference, or doesn’t hear a difference, in a way is irrelevant... ultimately some of us would like to have the feature supported for whatever reason and are seeking information. I really like my R6 Pro, and whether it is upgraded to full MQA unfolding support or not, I will still like it. But I would like to have the product support full unfold of MQA. It is somewhat strange that the R3 and R5 received this support but not the R6 Pro. The lack of an answer / definitive statement, and instead @Joe Bloggs snapping at my post, is not a good sign for customer support.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #2,935 of 4,006
I got one of the HiBy R6 Pro earlier this week.

I like it, but I'm getting occasional stutter on playback of my hi-res flac files. These same files play fine on all my other DAPs.

Anyone else having this issue? If it is persistent I will likely return the unit and try another brand but I'd prefer to keep it.

Thanks,
Randy

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #2,936 of 4,006
Hi All,
I'm newer to the R6 Pro Aluminum, and having an issue with spdif output, and usb out put to a dac using the hiby Music app.

First, is there a spec that says what should be possible for each digital output - like to an external dac - as far as xx bit, yy khz for each?

Currently my unit is just good for up to 96khz out to coax - won't lock or play higher bit rates, and a fixed 96lhz out via usb no matter the originating file frequency??

The only apps I've downloaded so far are Amazon Music, Swiftkey, and a Jazz radio app that I uninstalled - as it sounded @#$%&*.

The above issue is with only the Hiby Music App open, and Swiftkey running in the background.

I started a search on this, but any info or links would be appreciated!

Also my metrum octave won't lock with this player yet, anyone solved this issue?

Thanks very much!!

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #2,937 of 4,006
I got one of the HiBy R6 Pro earlier this week.

I like it, but I'm getting occasional stutter on playback of my hi-res flac files. These same files play fine on all my other DAPs.

Anyone else having this issue? If it is persistent I will likely return the unit and try another brand but I'd prefer to keep it.

Thanks,
Randy
It seems like there might be an Android hang up that can be configured and fixed.
Here’s why I think this. I was picking up my R5 from service and needed to test it. I took out the card from my R6 and stuck it directly into my R5. It mounted the drive and in Hiby music I scanned the card. All of that went fine. I played a FLAC file and so far so good. I tried a DSD at 5.6MHz and it stuttered.
i almost gave it back to the service guy right then and there. But before doing that I thought about Google Play Services and how it drains a battery if it isn’t configured correctly.
I then went into the permissions for google play services, turned them all on and also granted phone permissions for the HiBy app. I powered off the device and gave it a little wait then restarted.
when everything loaded back up again. The card and the music read fine.
When I got home and mounted its own SD card in the R5 it worked fine and had no issues.
Hope that works for you, but if not try copying a high res file to the internal storage and playing it from there. If that doesn’t work then you may have more serious issues with the device.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2,938 of 4,006
I second that, Joe. Your contribution here is invaluable. Without it, many would likely abandon HiBy for more responsive vendors. That said, it would be useful if you could explain any technical hindrances to adding official MQA support in the R6 Pro, when the likes of FiiO are retrospectively adding it to their M11 line of DAPs, and HiBy is doing the same with the R5. I'm also convinced most R6 Pro users would jump at the chance to buy an MQA firmware add-on, much like UAPP does with its various add-on modules.

All this given the context that MQA itself is in financial trouble... Amazon ignoring MQA support was a hard hit for them.
Do note that MQA asks for money from vendors as well as from customers, perhaps more so. Any investment into MQA for a player, even if technically completely trouble-free, is never a straight money grubbing effort so much as a long term investment with uncertain financial outcome in terms of brand recognition and extra sales vs the money spent. Then again, maybe we just don't like each other enough to spend all our time and money on each other. I certainly have had less than glowing recommendation for the format outside of official circles :confused:

Here you go @jsmiller58

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #2,939 of 4,006
Do note that MQA asks for money from vendors as well as from customers, perhaps more so. Any investment into MQA for a player, even if technically completely trouble-free, is never a straight money grubbing effort so much as a long term investment with uncertain financial outcome in terms of brand recognition and extra sales vs the money spent. Then again, maybe we just don't like each other enough to spend all our time and money on each other. I certainly have had less than glowing recommendation for the format outside of official circles :confused:

Here you go @jsmiller58

Shorter version: “HiBy has no intention of supporting MQA on R6 Pro.” You could have simply said that, @Joe Bloggs , instead of lowering yourself by responding the way you did earlier. That’s fine, if that is how you and your employer believe customers should be treated it does speak volumes.

I would ask why, with the logic you just provided for not supporting MQA on the R6 Pro, HiBy chose to roll out MQA support on other products, but given that this seems to be a topic that presses an emotional hot button for you, I‘ll spare you that discomfort.

As I mentioned in my last post, I quite like my R6 Pro no matter the lack of full MQA support. I am glad to have such a wonderful product. However, given you represent HiBy, and I find your responses to be rude, unprofessional, and way over the top and unjustified given the simple topic, I will be happy to spend my money elsewhere in the future.

Be well.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #2,940 of 4,006
I confess that MQA is not a major Need for me. Nonetheless, would be nice to Have the option.

Especially because the R5 already has it.

Other than that, I’m very happy with my R6 Pro. It is my first foray into the high resolution world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back