Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
May 27, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #2,026 of 4,006
Doing some experimenting with Tidal. I am curious...
Is version 2.11.3 the only one that will properly handle MQA or has that been updated?

Also, per the post I saw from @Joe Bloggs I think... does Tidal still upsample everything?
I've been seeing everything I play that is not a Master come out as 88k... Masters in 96k.

Is this still the expected outcome?

Lastly... is 96k the highest resolution that Tidal plays... or are there also 192k streams?

Thanks in advance

. 2019-05-27 19.20.28.jpg

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #2,027 of 4,006
Doing some experimenting with Tidal. I am curious...
Is version 2.11.3 the only one that will properly handle MQA or has that been updated?

Also, per the post I saw from @Joe Bloggs I think... does Tidal still upsample everything?
I've been seeing everything I play that is not a Master come out as 88k... Masters in 96k.

Is this still the expected outcome?

Lastly... is 96k the highest resolution that Tidal plays... or are there also 192k streams?

Thanks in advance

My understanding on your questions...

2.11.3 is still the only version to use

Tidal upsamples everything so even real 44.1 or 48 will show up as 88.2 and 96. I think - and I might very well be wrong - this is only with offline tracks, and online streaming will show 44.1 or 48... I am not anywhere near my R6 Pro right now so I can't confirm this.

EDIT: On my R6 Pro, in both offline an online mode, it appears everything on Tidal is upsampled, so the LED light and the sample rate reading don’t really provide any information.

88 2/96 are the highest MQA sample rates that the Tidal app can support with software only. To get higher than 88.2/96 from MQA the hardware has to support the subsequent "unfolds" and currently the R6 Pro hardware does not support this.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #2,028 of 4,006
88.2/96 are the highest sample rates that the Tidal app can support with software only. To get higher than 88.2/96 from MQA the hardware has to support the subsequent "unfolds" and currently the R6 Pro hardware does not support this.

Is this strictly a hardware thing, or could a possible future firmware update change the way the R6 Pro handles Tidal's masters?
For the most part, I kind of see MQA as some hogwash nonsense trying to get us to buy into needing to get our music in a new format when it is not necessary.

But... for the purposes of experimentation... I have been curious to know what I am working with.
Will be interesting to see if this player can handle the full unfolding process with a future update (unless, of course, it is actually a hardware limitation).

Thanks for the info.

May 28, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #2,029 of 4,006
Is this strictly a hardware thing, or could a possible future firmware update change the way the R6 Pro handles Tidal's masters?
For the most part, I kind of see MQA as some hogwash nonsense trying to get us to buy into needing to get our music in a new format when it is not necessary.

But... for the purposes of experimentation... I have been curious to know what I am working with.
Will be interesting to see if this player can handle the full unfolding process with a future update (unless, of course, it is actually a hardware limitation).

Thanks for the info.
It's MQA licensing issue. It's up to manufacturer to judge if it's worth the cost or not.

May 28, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #2,030 of 4,006
It's MQA licensing issue. It's up to manufacturer to judge if it's worth the cost or not.
Oh yeah, I knew it was a licensing issue... I just was not clear as to whether the current hardware of the R6 Pro could handle the full MQA implementation should Hiby decide to pay for it.

I know their R3 does (at least I know it "supports MQA") - I am wondering if the R6 Pro, given a firmware update with all the proper licensing in place could do the full job.

May 28, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #2,031 of 4,006
Oh yeah, I knew it was a licensing issue... I just was not clear as to whether the current hardware of the R6 Pro could handle the full MQA implementation should Hiby decide to pay for it.

I know their R3 does (at least I know it "supports MQA") - I am wondering if the R6 Pro, given a firmware update with all the proper licensing in place could do the full job.
@Joe Bloggs would have to answer... But when I essentially asked a related question on this thread he came across as less than hopeful. Licensing is a big part of it, but possibly some technical limitations as well...

Having said that, I believe the R3 was recently changed through firmware updates to enable the full MQA unfolding, so maybe there is hope...

May 28, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #2,032 of 4,006
@Joe Bloggs would have to answer... But when I essentially asked a related question on this thread he came across as less than hopeful. Licensing is a big part of it, but possibly some technical limitations as well...

Having said that, I believe the R3 was recently changed through firmware updates to enable the full MQA unfolding, so maybe there is hope...
Interesting... well I will keep an ear to the ground on this one.
Curious to see how it all shakes out.

Thanks as always for the helpful info.

May 30, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #2,033 of 4,006
After having some weird problems with my unit (running unusually warm, laggy operation), I tried to enter the reboot menu (or what the manual calls the "robot menu" lol) to see what I could see. I guess I'm hoping there's something I can do short of a factory reset (or worse). Per the manual, I turned the unit off and then held the volume up button while pressing the power button. Instead of getting an android reboot menu, I got the below screen, which seems exceedingly bad. After about a minute of displaying that, it goes through a regular power up process. Anyone seen this or know what to do?
20190530_090001.jpg

May 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #2,034 of 4,006
After having some weird problems with my unit (running unusually warm, laggy operation), I tried to enter the reboot menu (or what the manual calls the "robot menu" lol) to see what I could see. I guess I'm hoping there's something I can do short of a factory reset (or worse). Per the manual, I turned the unit off and then held the volume up button while pressing the power button. Instead of getting an android reboot menu, I got the below screen, which seems exceedingly bad. After about a minute of displaying that, it goes through a regular power up process. Anyone seen this or know what to do?
I once worked at a company that as part of an effort to improve usability of its software would publish a regular mock “User Error Message of the Month” award... one month the winning error message was “This is bad. This is very, very, very bad.”

May 30, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #2,035 of 4,006

Hold power button and volume up until it resets and you see hiby logo. Let go of power but keep hold of volume up, you will enter recovery with the droid on his back and it will say 'no command'. Now to get the hidden menu, hold power button and tap volume up, you will get the menu. With the volume keys select factory reset and tap power button it will reset to factory.

May 30, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #2,036 of 4,006
Hold power button and volume up until it resets and you see hiby logo. Let go of power but keep hold of volume up, you will enter recovery with the droid on his back and it will say 'no command'. Now to get the hidden menu, hold power button and tap volume up, you will get the menu. With the volume keys select factory reset and tap power button it will reset to factory.

Hey, thanks! It was more complicated than I understood... as per usual. :)

May 31, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #2,037 of 4,006
The battery on my R6 Pro ran down overnight (sitting in my desk draw). When I plugged it in, it restarted over and over. Now it is completely dead. :frowning2:

Edit: Did the volume+power thing and chose reboot from the hidden menu. Seems ok now. But why?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #2,039 of 4,006
On my current trip to Taiwan I managed to seek out a R6 Pro for what is 23500 TWD and £200 cheaper than the UK. There were 2 things that concered me
Whether or not the R6 pro had just chinese or not and if so was it a chinese model. The guy in the shop assured me it was the same price as Hong Kong so I took the blind purchase
(since he made a point of telling me he didnt have a demo unit) and bought it. Found English on it right away on the setup and it has Google play preinstalled so im assuming this is the International model.

Im fairly pleased with it however Im waiting on USB Audio Player Pro to give proper support for bitperfer mode as I cant seem to get it to work in the hiby app and I just prefer UAPP..
Ive gone from a Fiio M7 to this and the only reason I bought the M7 was it also had a radio in it which turns out is as deaf as a post.
The weight is certainly different and Ive also noticed the R6 pro does not work with headset controls on my HD630VBs which surprises me as my Fiio M7 did.
It also runs very warm

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #2,040 of 4,006
On my current trip to Taiwan I managed to seek out a R6 Pro for what is 23500 TWD and £200 cheaper than the UK. There were 2 things that concered me
Whether or not the R6 pro had just chinese or not and if so was it a chinese model. The guy in the shop assured me it was the same price as Hong Kong so I took the blind purchase
(since he made a point of telling me he didnt have a demo unit) and bought it. Found English on it right away on the setup and it has Google play preinstalled so im assuming this is the International model.

Im fairly pleased with it however Im waiting on USB Audio Player Pro to give proper support for bitperfer mode as I cant seem to get it to work in the hiby app and I just prefer UAPP..
Ive gone from a Fiio M7 to this and the only reason I bought the M7 was it also had a radio in it which turns out is as deaf as a post.
The weight is certainly different and Ive also noticed the R6 pro does not work with headset controls on my HD630VBs which surprises me as my Fiio M7 did.
It also runs very warm
It also sounds a lot better than the Fiio M series . And the interface is fast whereas Fiio’s operating system is very slow and lags even with gigabit network speeds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back