Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Mar 30, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,531 of 4,006
The tonality settings simulate distortions added by different pieces of equipment. Equalizers apply linear corrections to the frequency response according to your instructions. If you think even applying corrections (!) to the sound according to what you hear makes the result worse / less accurate, then you should have even less reason to mess with the tonality settings, which literally do nothing but make the sound "wrong" in the name of taste.
Joe, I thought that that tonality setting could be something like hardware setting. I believe that this kind of settings(f.e. Centrance dacportable switches or cayin n8 amp type selector) doesn’t make sound worse.

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #1,532 of 4,006
Joe,

Can any of the adjustments possible on the R6 Pro work with Tidal Masters (MQA)? I would think it is possible only if the adjustments occur after the DAC as part of the amp... thank you in advance.
The tonality adjustments will apply just fine on any source, including MQA TIDAL, provided that the MQA may be decoded in software--which is being made difficult these days

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 30, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,533 of 4,006
Joe, I thought that that tonality setting could be something like hardware setting. I believe that this kind of settings(f.e. Centrance dacportable switches or cayin n8 amp type selector) doesn’t make sound worse.

There's nothing magically fidelity-degrading about software options or fidelity-preserving about hardware options. It's all in the details of each actual option.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,534 of 4,006
There's nothing magically fidelity-degrading about software options or fidelity-preserving about hardware options. It's all in the details of each actual option.
Joe, I believe only in my experience and my ears. And they tell me Soft eq - bad, hard eq and filters - good. The second is like you change amps for the dap. The first - you are trying to sound your iema/phones better than they are because they are not quite good by itself.

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #1,535 of 4,006
The tonality adjustments will apply just fine on any source, including MQA TIDAL, provided that the MQA may be decoded in software--which is being made difficult these days
If I understand the way Tidal works - and that is a big IF - Tidal does the first unfold, licensed hardware the remaining unfold(s). However, MQA is very finicky about anything mucking around with the data - once the data is changed from the original MQA encoding the encoding will not occur. So it all depends on where in the processing chain adjustments are made... it could be that adjustments are made after the first unfolding in software but before the hardware does the remaining unfolding, at which point no further unfolding occurs... on the other hand if it happens after the DAC (e.g. like a Loki EQs the sound after the DAC, MQA is not even in the picture). So where the adjustments are made in the audio chain makes a difference...

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #1,536 of 4,006
If I understand the way Tidal works - and that is a big IF - Tidal does the first unfold, licensed hardware the remaining unfold(s). However, MQA is very finicky about anything mucking around with the data - once the data is changed from the original MQA encoding the encoding will not occur. So it all depends on where in the processing chain adjustments are made... it could be that adjustments are made after the first unfolding in software but before the hardware does the remaining unfolding, at which point no further unfolding occurs... on the other hand if it happens after the DAC (e.g. like a Loki EQs the sound after the DAC, MQA is not even in the picture). So where the adjustments are made in the audio chain makes a difference...
As of the present play store version TIDAL isn't doing any unfolds at all.

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #1,537 of 4,006
As of the present play store version TIDAL isn't doing any unfolds at all.

I think you are correct where Android is concerned (I think the iOS version may now, though, as of just a few days ago). Windows desktop app version most definitely does the first unfold (I see the data stream that is reported by my DAC).

I know UAPP does do the first unfold, and on an LG v30 the remaining unfolds as well in conjunction with the hardware (since v30 supports MQA). I will largely use UAPP with mymR6 Pro anyway, so not overly concerned about the native Tidal app.

I believe I read that R6 Pro does not support MQA right now - is that correct? If that is correct any plans to support it in the future I (I think R3 support was added recently).

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #1,538 of 4,006
@Joe Bloggs

Maybe you can help. My order seems to have gotten lost, and by lost I mean your order website says DHL had trouble delivering it to my address, and the DHL website says it is still in Hong Kong and has not been handed over to DHL. Clearly they can’t both be correct.

So, I sent email to hello@hiby.com, but I have not heard anything back. My next step is to open a dispute with PayPal and have them refund my money. Before I go there I would like to try, again, to go through Hiby channels to get this sorted out. Is there a different email? I really don’t want this to get unfriendly or ugly - I want either my R6 Pro delivered, or my money back. At this point I am OK with either outcome. But I have very little patience, and want answers quickly - I paid for that right.

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #1,539 of 4,006
@Joe Bloggs

Maybe you can help. My order seems to have gotten lost, and by lost I mean your order website says DHL had trouble delivering it to my address, and the DHL website says it is still in Hong Kong and has not been handed over to DHL. Clearly they can’t both be correct.

So, I sent email to hello@hiby.com, but I have not heard anything back. My next step is to open a dispute with PayPal and have them refund my money. Before I go there I would like to try, again, to go through Hiby channels to get this sorted out. Is there a different email? I really don’t want this to get unfriendly or ugly - I want either my R6 Pro delivered, or my money back. At this point I am OK with either outcome. But I have very little patience, and want answers quickly - I paid for that right.

Dear Miller,
Sorry about your problem. I will get it sorted out as soon as you tell me some identifying details about your order, such as your order no., the email you sent your enquiry from, etc., to my pm. :)

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #1,540 of 4,006
@jsmiller58
If your order number is 1870, please be advised that the DHL website has the correct info and they should receive our package in Hong Kong on 4th or 5th April. :)

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,541 of 4,006
@jsmiller58
If your order number is 1870, please be advised that the DHL website has the correct info and they should receive our package in Hong Kong on 4th or 5th April. :)
Thank you for your prompt attention to this. That is the order number. I look forward to receiving the R6 Pro.

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #1,542 of 4,006
@Joe Bloggs

Mine said the same thing - that it is in Hong Kong and also that they tried to deliver yesterday (Sunday). Says they will try to deliver tomorrow. Not sure what to believe. DHL is the worst.

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #1,543 of 4,006
I've been listening to the Pro for about 30 days now and I have to say the audio quality is incredible. The operating system is fast too. I was flying recently and noticed the EMI issue as my phone was right next to the Pro.
I just turned on airplane mode and all was well.

Way better than the Fiio M9 . Its not close , though that device is 300 bucks.

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #1,544 of 4,006
Looks like I had WASAPIS for some reason... went back installed WASAPI and everything is right with the world again!

So some of my DSD files play beautifully with just WASAPI selected, while others sound like there is a waterfall in the background.
When I switch to DSD: WASAPI: the waterfall disappears, but then other DSD albums won't play at all.
I noticed that the files with high noise are albums from one specific vendor...

Thoughts on settings in Foobar2k or on the unit I should change?

Apr 1, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,545 of 4,006
Mine said the same thing - that it is in Hong Kong and also that they tried to deliver yesterday (Sunday). Says they will try to deliver tomorrow. Not sure what to believe. DHL is the worst.
You should check DHL site again. Now DHL says my shipment is on its way. We will see, but a bit more encouraging than yesterday when I was getting disgruntled about the difference between HiBy’s site and DHL tracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back