Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Feb 3, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #736 of 4,006
Could it possibly be the memory card? I have had this happen with other devices to discover a faulty card that was replaced under warranty.

Just a thought...

Hope you get it sorted out quickly - I am sure Joe will take care of you!

Cheers,
Tim

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #738 of 4,006
Just as an experiment, I went into the audio settings from the pull down tab which allows adjustment of gain, output, tonality, dsd gain compensatoin, channel balance, and max volume, and I find that I can force the static/popping to occur if I touch the max volume using a 4.4mm balanced connection. Anytime I touch the max volume, a hiss or pop occurs.

If I switch to my single ended 3.5mm litz cable and try to replicate the same volume adjustments to try and make my headphones pop or hiss, they don't.

It's definitely a 4.4mm connector thing from my testing with 3 different balanced cables.

I know a lot of people are looking to buy this device to remedy the R6's output impedance issues using sensitive IEMs, so this might be disappointing since I know a lot of people also wanted to take advantage of the 4.4mm socket. I know I did. I bought cables in advance just for testing purposes, so I'm a little let down.

It's not the end of the world for me personally because I'll just stick to the 3.5mm socket, and it'll still sound great with my Andromedas, but I would've liked to of been able to take advantage of all the R6 pro's features, especially it's more dominantly advertised feature of having a 4.4mm socket.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #739 of 4,006
Well, your solutions that don't involve RMA are getting slimmer, but musicteck is great and may just take care of this quickly given its BRAND new and within their return period, so hopefully you don't have to send to hiby and they just quickly replace it. I'd contact them.

Factory reset, connector spacers (should NOT be an issue) and burn in are probably you're only hail Marys at this point for fixing this unit. Otherwise, this doesn't sound normal in any way.

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #740 of 4,006
Well, your solutions that don't involve RMA are getting slimmer, but musicteck is great and may just take care of this quickly given its BRAND new and within their return period, so hopefully you don't have to send to hiby and they just quickly replace it. I'd contact them.

Factory reset, connector spacers (should NOT be an issue) and burn in are probably you're only hail Marys at this point for fixing this unit. Otherwise, this doesn't sound normal in any way.

I've only had the device for a day, so I'm hoping someone else with highly sensitive IEMs can test the 4.4 connection vs the 3.5 connector and try to replicate a similar scenario. It would break my heart to return this thing since I've been saying up for it since I heard it was coming out. I guess I'll contact musicteck soon, but dang, I really can't help wonder if this is just my device or a global issue.

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #741 of 4,006
I've only had the device for a day, so I'm hoping someone else with highly sensitive IEMs can test the 4.4 connection vs the 3.5 connector and try to replicate a similar scenario. It would break my heart to return this thing since I've been saying up for it since I heard it was coming out. I guess I'll contact musicteck soon, but dang, I really can't help wonder if this is just my device or a global issue.

I don't use IEMs but not had any issues on 4.4mm, it's the only connection i've used.

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #742 of 4,006
So I have a pair of LZ A5s laying around (not the most sensitive IEMs from my understanding), and have tried to use the 4.4mm socket with the LZ A5s. I'm still getting popping and hissing if I tinker with the volume. If I increase or decrease to a certain extent, I can hear pop and hiss even if no music is playing. I wanna say this isn't typical?

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #743 of 4,006
So I have a pair of LZ A5s laying around (not the most sensitive IEMs from my understanding), and have tried to use the 4.4mm socket with the LZ A5s. I'm still getting popping and hissing if I tinker with the volume. If I increase or decrease to a certain extent, I can hear pop and hiss even if no music is playing. I wanna say this isn't typical?
I've not got a hiby r6 pro, but sounds like something is wrong to me

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #744 of 4,006

Sounds like a fault. Have you done a factory reset yet?

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #745 of 4,006
Sounds like a fault. Have you done a factory reset yet?

No, but I actually suspect something is wrong with some of my cables. I'm doing more testing. I have three different balanced cables -- the lc-4.4b by fiio, the lz 4.4c fiio, and a cheapo 20USD brainwavz cable, and I suspect that the popping and hissing don't actually occur on the cheapo brainwavz cable. It seems synonymous with just the Fiio cables. Do cables have some kind of impedance interference? I tried doing the volume experiment on both my ALO 3.5mm litz cable and the 2.5mm to 4.4mm converted brainwavz cable, and I don't actually hear any forced pop or hiss. I'm listening to a few more high quality tracks to see if I can hear any pop or hiss, and I'm about three songs in and haven't heard any popping yet.

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #746 of 4,006
No, but I actually suspect something is wrong with some of my cables. I'm doing more testing. I have three different balanced cables -- the lc-4.4b by fiio, the lz 4.4c fiio, and a cheapo 20USD brainwavz cable, and I suspect that the popping and hissing don't actually occur on the cheapo brainwavz cable. It seems synonymous with just the Fiio cables. Do cables have some kind of impedance interference? I tried doing the volume experiment on both my ALO 3.5mm litz cable and the 2.5mm to 4.4mm converted brainwavz cable, and I don't actually hear any forced pop or hiss. I'm listening to a few more high quality tracks to see if I can hear any pop or hiss, and I'm about three songs in and haven't heard any popping yet.

Maybe the fiio connectors insert too far or not far enough so not all 5 contacts are in place correctly.

Feb 3, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #747 of 4,006
Yeah.

I'm pretty sure it's my Fiio 4.4mm balanced cables. I'm listening to some acoustic Elliott Smith albums, and the popping and hissing were most noticeable during his tracks because there was nothing to mask the popping and hissing. It's just his guitar and his voice. I guess I better invest in a different brand of cables.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #748 of 4,006
Yeah.

I'm pretty sure it's my Fiio 4.4mm balanced cables. I'm listening to some acoustic Elliott Smith albums, and the popping and hissing were most noticeable during his tracks because there was nothing to mask the popping and hissing. It's just his guitar and his voice. I guess I better invest in a different brand of cables.
At least the hiby isn't broken

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #750 of 4,006
No popping or hissing using balanced on my UE18+ with the balanced connector, if that helps.

I got this a few days ago and it's awesome. the dap I've been looking for. Minor UI nitpicks:
  • the UI lags when scrolling down fast through my albums. Surprising since the R3 works beautifully here. I presume it's the loading art from FLAC on SD card causing the slowness.
  • I have no idea why all these DAPs ignore the album artist and album artist sort order fields. Grouping Artist->Album->Song by the track artist is so obviously the wrong thing to do, because any album with multiple artists will be split into multiple entries. And the sort order thing... cmon I don't need 30% of my list to be "albums starting with 'The'".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back