Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #3,646 of 4,006
I think I agree with @VideoWork ... if BT is what you are looking for then go with a smartphone, or a BT receiver like Qudelix 5K or FiiO BTR5. Less bulky and you will always carry it around with you anyway. The R6 Pro is quite bulky to be carrying it around to drive wireless IEM and cans - use it when only wired will do. As to me, my R6 Pro is relegated to just being used to drive my external DACs/Amps now.
Good points, but I am in the iPhone world. BT is limited to AAC. Wish I had a DAP with decent BT performance in order to try LDAC, for example.

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,647 of 4,006
Good points, but I am in the iPhone world. BT is limited to AAC. Wish I had a DAP with decent BT performance in order to try LDAC, for example.
As far I can really make any comparison between Qudelix 5K (IER-Z1R, Xelento) in LDAC mode and Airpods Pro, Samsung Buds Live in AAC and SBC connection to my NW-WM1A, I would rather think the BT connection is not a real issue in any case compared to the amp (capacitors) provided in the DAP (NW-WM1A) and the small amps that are provided in the BT earbuds or even a rather more powerful Qudelix-5K (320mW).
I get really powerful and clear impacts in low frequencies when my earbuds are connected with a cable to the WM1A and rather muddy low frequencies with less informations with any type of BT connections (I can't distinguish the LDAC with Aptx HD AAC and SBC as I can do it between Cable link and BT link even in LDAC mode).
I am not sure that with earbuds, there is a real possibility to get powerful and clear impacts with lots of details without any good amps and good capacitors... I like the Galaxy Buds Live a lot (with some PEQ), but it can't give all details like a cable connection.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #3,648 of 4,006
I agree, it all comes down to use case. Dedicated higher end DAPs are much bigger in Asia where space is limited for desktop gear, and IEMs are also far more popular there. For day to day and casual listening, I completely agree, a decent dongle (wired or BT) and good pair of wired IEMs is more than good enough for most people. It's only once you go higher end that you'll want to pay extra attention to the power and quality of your source, which is where a DAP comes in.

As for the new R6, it looks quite promising. Like a mini R8 with the same software features and performance at less than half the price. I'm sure we'll know more over the next day or so, but from what I've gleaned so far:

- smaller and lighter than the R8 with a similar body design
- dual ES9038SQM DAC chips
- full BT 5/dual band WiFi
- 1080P retina screen
- Snapdragon 660 SoC
- 3.5mm and 4.4mm headphone out with separate 3.5mm and 4.4mm line out
- 750mW power out if 4.4mm balanced
- Android 9
- ~$700 retail
Does anyone know about the op amps used in the new r6?

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #3,649 of 4,006
Does anyone know about the op amps used in the new r6?
20201028_143052_HDR.jpg

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #3,651 of 4,006
I am sorry for asking a question that was discussed many times before — do the interference issues with the R6 Pro persist? Does stainless steel vs aluminum casing make a difference? I sit next to a WiFi router and surrounded by networked devices and am nervous about purchasing the R6 Pro. I am also considering the R5, but was put off by reports of swollen batteries — sounds downright dangerous. I did not see this issue mentioned with regard to the R6 Pro, which presumably has better thermal management.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #3,652 of 4,006
I am sorry for asking a question that was discussed many times before — do the interference issues with the R6 Pro persist? Does stainless steel vs aluminum casing make a difference? I sit next to a WiFi router and surrounded by networked devices and am nervous about purchasing the R6 Pro. I am also considering the R5, but was put off by reports of swollen batteries — sounds downright dangerous. I did not see this issue mentioned with regard to the R6 Pro, which presumably has better thermal management.

I've never had significant problems, though I have picked up RFI noise from apparent cellular signals (e.g., when my R6 pro is very near my phone, or when I'm close to a cell tower). Never noticed any problem with WiFi.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #3,656 of 4,006
Question to any and all.

I’m having some issues with album artwork in the hiby software app.

Mostly with wav. Files. From what I understand there is no meta-data or very little in wav. files. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

When I load wave files onto an SD card, they play fine but more times than not, they either display wrong or no artwork whatsoever.

Tried using the The search for lyrics and artwork feature. Each time it came up with nothing, or sometimes it would display artwork from another album I have on the card.

Basically like to know if there are any workarounds that anyone knows of.

I absolutely love this DAP, But the artwork issue is a little irritating.
Thanks in advance

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #3,657 of 4,006
Question to any and all.

I’m having some issues with album artwork in the hiby software app.

Mostly with wav. Files. From what I understand there is no meta-data or very little in wav. files. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

When I load wave files onto an SD card, they play fine but more times than not, they either display wrong or no artwork whatsoever.

Tried using the The search for lyrics and artwork feature. Each time it came up with nothing, or sometimes it would display artwork from another album I have on the card.

Basically like to know if there are any workarounds that anyone knows of.

I absolutely love this DAP, But the artwork issue is a little irritating.
Thanks in advance
Gotta ask, why are you keeping WAV files around when there's a superior way to store losslessly in FLAC and you gain the ability to properly tag your files?

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #3,658 of 4,006
Gotta ask, why are you keeping WAV files around when there's a superior way to store losslessly in FLAC and you gain the ability to properly tag your files?

The specific files are the highest resolution offered from some album download codes.

I would rather have a wave file then an MP3 If those are the only two choices offered.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,659 of 4,006
The specific files are the highest resolution offered from some album download codes.

I would rather have a wave file then an MP3 If those are the only two choices offered.
You should convert your wav files to flac. It's lossless, easy and free. Much easier to manage and they take up much less space too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back