Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Apr 11, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #1,666 of 4,006
I have the LG V35 ThinQ which has the same quad dac standard that LG is putting in all their flagship phones nowadays. The difference with the R6 Pro, even without messing with the EQ, is night and day. The Soundstage and instrument separation cannot be done as well with simple DAC setups like LG is doing. And the frequencies feel much smoother and balanced on the R6 Pro even in my car speaker system. You're going to love your purchase, given that you have at least some decent chi-fi or mid to hi-fi headphones or IEMs to use with it.

Thank you! I was feeling a bit woozie after plunking down $800 for a DAP and wasn't sure what to expect. I have the Tin T2, MEE Pinnacle P! and hopefully I'll hear the difference with my Sinnheiser MTW buds and Nuraphones.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #1,667 of 4,006
Many thanks to everyone trying to answer my global eq questions. I appreciate manufacturers' priority is their own playback app but I am a Qobuz fan - so keen to use eq on its playback.

Thanks again.

EQ is only in the HiBy Music App. Applies only to music on the device played through that app.
MSEB parametric based DSP also only in HiBy Music Player App.

No EQ for Tidal or other apps unless built in to the app itself. Not sure if there are future firmware plans to include Tidal within the HiBy app like on the R3.

However, the HiBy R6 Pro does have settings for tonality changes that will globally affect all music played.

When I use the R6 Pro as a preamp source for my Tube Amp and Burson Amp at home I set tonality to Reference. When I use as an amp for Headphones or IEMs I set tonality to Warm.

So far I’ve been real happy with the results and really don’t miss having an EQ with Tidal.

One thing I haven’t tried is to see if third party stand alone EQ Apps for Android work with the HiBy R6 Pro.

With Hiby DTA, this should be doable as all these app is just UI and audio data are handled bit perfect. If EQ and MSEB is/can be applied to lowest level system which process the bit perfect input, theoretically EQ/MSEB setting can be applied to all audio stream. Based on my understanding of DTA, of course.

On the R6 pro (and R6 since Oreo, apparently), you can tap "MusicFX" in a music app (e.g. Poweramp) that that explicitly supports MusicFX and be taken to a system equalizer, which I've tested works with Poweramp.

You can also download a Play app called 'Equalizer - System Equalizer Shortcut' to have a shortcut to this same system equalizer whether or not your music app supports it or not. However I have not tested when this would have an effect on other apps like TIDAL and such.

On my R6Pro, if I activate the equalizer in Deezer it shows me "Snapdragon Audio+" as equalizer. Doing this on a Galaxy Note activates a different equalizer page/options. Does this mean that Deezer is actually using whatever system wide equalizer is supported, and for R6 Pro this is based on some processor (Snapdragon) functions? If yes, maybe you can 'override' it to use Hiby's 8 magic balls?

Equalizer - System Equalizer doesn’t seem to truely activate a system EQ on the R6 Pro. It will show Snapdragon Audio+, but has no dsp effect on Tidal, HiBy, YouTube, etc. so I’m guessing that HiBy stripped out the EQ in its Oreo OS.

However I just tried Bass Booster & Equalizer by Coocent and it works with Tidal, so I’m assuming globally also. Another plus is that it stays active even when closed. Should make everyone happy. Only 5 band EQ, but I’m sure some other apps will work. So just experiment. I don’t really EQ because the cans and IEMs I use seem to have good resolution and don’t clip on the R6 Pro. so my search stops here. Was just researching for others.

Actually might use it with Tidal, it’s surround effect is interesting and it doesn’t seem to degrade sound in Tidal.

Apr 12, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #1,668 of 4,006
Based on reviews the sound is improved on the R6 Pro. However I only have the Pro.
As for warranty work. Did you buy the R6 direct from Hiby? Also double check with another set of IEMs to be sure the problem really is the R6 and not iem. If you really are giving up on getting it fixed try compressed air to clear possible debris in the port.

Yup already source the problem that the 2.5mm port is faulty. Already pm Hiby and they requested for me to send them the device.

Maybe i'll just purchase the r6 pro and send my r6 to them. When it comes back will try and sell it then

Apr 12, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #1,669 of 4,006
Yup already source the problem that the 2.5mm port is faulty. Already pm Hiby and they requested for me to send them the device.

Maybe i'll just purchase the r6 pro and send my r6 to them. When it comes back will try and sell it then
I would contact Hiby and see about the possibility of warranty/exchange/upgrade your R6 to a Pro... maybe they’d be willing to let you send it in, pay a difference and just get the new one? Who knows? I would definitely send it in to get it fixed though... too much money on these devices to not have them function properly.

Apr 12, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #1,670 of 4,006
I would contact Hiby and see about the possibility of warranty/exchange/upgrade your R6 to a Pro... maybe they’d be willing to let you send it in, pay a difference and just get the new one? Who knows? I would definitely send it in to get it fixed though... too much money on these devices to not have them function properly.

Wow i never thought of that.
I certainly wouldn't mind topping up some cash in exchange for an upgrade to R6 pro. Thanks for the idea :pray:

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,671 of 4,006
I'm enjoying my R6 Pro quite a bit. For now, the pros outweigh the cons.

Pros:
1. Incredible sound quality and amplification
2. Nice looking chassis
3. excellent specs for a DAP
4. UI of their app + Android 8.1
5. USB C

Cons
1. Interference caused by other electronics seems to be about a 12-inch radius for my R6 Pro
2. WiFi randomly drops (hoping there is a firmware fix)
3. The screen protectors are total garbage...but at least they were included. There are scratches and scrapes all over mine, and I've been gentle.
4. No BT5. What
Thankfully, I haven't experienced any WiFi drops so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

But, yes, that screen protector is.. just bad. There's no other way to put it. It got scratched whilst it was in its (new) protective pouch. I'm going to have to hunt for a glass protector; I don't foresee the current one lasting any longer than a month before it becomes unusable.

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #1,673 of 4,006
Many thanks to everyone trying to answer my global eq questions. I appreciate manufacturers' priority is their own playback app but I am a Qobuz fan - so keen to use eq on its playback.

Thanks again.

I picked up RE Equalizer. It has 10 band eq and can do systemwide. The only time I found it to get bypassed was with Tidal Masters, Tidal HighFi was effected by RE EQ..

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #1,674 of 4,006
Can anyone recommended a good screen protector for this device? Ideally, one that’s easily available in the UK.
I found one in eBay; they ship from HK, though.

Search for 'iProtek HiBy R6 / PRO Tempered Glass Screen Protector'.

I've just purchased it. I'll let you guys know about it once I receive it.

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #1,675 of 4,006
I picked up RE Equalizer. It has 10 band eq and can do systemwide. The only time I found it to get bypassed was with Tidal Masters, Tidal HighFi was affected by RE EQ..

Thanks again. I will want it to operate on hires files and not down sample them.

Apr 13, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,676 of 4,006
So I can report that I have had an interesting resolution to the RFI/EMI noise issues that my R6 Pro has been plagued with. I have so far used earphones with 2.5mm balanced plug, hence needed an adaptor for the 4.4mm R6 Pro connection. The adapter I have used from day one and until now was supplied by the HK dealer I ordered the Pro from a few weeks ago:

So all along that past few weeks I have used the above Hiby adapter as the only way to connect my earphones to the Pro. For form factor reasons, I had also separately ordered from the Musictek an angled adapter (the Cayin shaped one), which I only received yesterday:

Since I have switched to the newer adapter, its been like night and day difference: the EMI and RFI noises have almost entirely gone, even with the JH Roxanne which have exhibited much of these noises. Of all the reasons and culprits I had suspected, I must say that the last thing I thought as the enabler for these EMI noises, was the adapter.

The only noise I get now is if I bring my iPhone to within an inch of the Pro (the usual phone proximity buzzing noise) and this noise only lasts for a brief one or two seconds (just as I bring the phone to the proximity of the Pro) and then goes away - even if I leave the phone next to the Pro. I gather this "one off" noise is normal (as confirmed by a previous poster here). No other noises can be heard .. no crackling, no bopping, no hissing, no frequent buzzing (all these I used to hear almost constantly).

All I would say is if you are using adapter, do check if this is the root cause for your EMI noises. I am not exactly sure why the Hiby adapter was causing these noises, could it be because the interconnecting adapter wire was acting like an antenna absorbing and then transmitting interference etc?

I know the above my not perhaps solve everyone EMI noises issues, but I can now count myself as one of those whose device is fine, it was the adapter all along. I hope this can help a few Pro owners eradicate their noise issues too.

In terms of the adapter I am now using, its not (strictly speaking) the Cayin one, as it doesn't have the Cayin logo. But from everything I have checked and seen, its exactly the same adapter as the official Cayin one (which is anycase made by that same third party manufacturer, as Cayin don't make adapters), except it doesn't have the Cayin logo on top, hence Musictek sell it for USD 25 (and the official Cayin one is priced at USD 50).

I would very much be interested in hearing of others experiences if they switch adapters they are using.

p.s. my device production date stamp is 22 January 2019, international version.
I am reading this thread from the very beginning, so still 30 some odd pages to go. I am sure by now that others have responded... the adapter with wire is acting like an old fashioned antenna (like the kind on your father’s or grandfather’s old car - the metal rod sticking up). This is likely due to poor shielding in the wire section of this adapter. Won’t necessarily be an issue for all types of adapter with wire, but this model yes. If I am correct, there isn’t a firmware fix for this, there is only a hardware fix... get a new adapter. Obviously, my observation applies only to EMI when using this adapter (or any other poorly shielded adapter). Other situations may have other causes & fixes.

Of course with 30 pages more to read I am sure to find out more on this vexing issue!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,677 of 4,006
Strange,
People in this thread report issues with the Cayin adapter having noise too. I heard HiBy is working on an iEM Match adapter to fix the 4.4mm port noise issue. Expected some time in April.
I am still wading through all 112 pages, and still 12 to go... so this may already be addressed... apologies for any redundancy...

There are two “noise” issues, and some people are confusing them...

Issue 1 - EMI. Interference from external electronic signals. At least one culprit is adapters that connect 2.5 to 4.4 with a wire in between, if that wire is poorly shielded (it is acting like an antenna)

Issue 2 - noise floor of the R6 Pro... it is relatively high (supposedly because of the very high output power of this DAP). This will be picked up by very sensitive IEMs. IEMatch is a good solution (I have sensitive IEMs and the IEMatch I bought makes a huge difference). This issue is not unique to the R6 Pro - I have the same issue with the same sensitive IEMs on my iFi xDSD, and use an IEMatch on that as well.

Sorry if this redundant.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #1,678 of 4,006
No, all good

Apr 13, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #1,679 of 4,006
Can anyone recommended a good screen protector for this device? Ideally, one that’s easily available in the UK.
Go to a cellphone case shop. Pretty sure they have either a regular screen protector or tempered glass to fit the r6 pro.

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,680 of 4,006
I found one in eBay; they ship from HK, though.

Search for 'iProtek HiBy R6 / PRO Tempered Glass Screen Protector'.

I've just purchased it. I'll let you guys know about it once I receive it.
Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out for your thoughts.

How is everyone finding the battery life on this device so far? Particularly, when Wi-Fi is switched off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back