Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Apr 10, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #1,652 of 4,006
Is there a global eq on the R6 pro? or is it only applied to its own player? (and not Tidal or Qobuz)

EQ is only in the HiBy Music App. Applies only to music on the device played through that app.
MSEB parametric based DSP also only in HiBy Music Player App.

No EQ for Tidal or other apps unless built in to the app itself. Not sure if there are future firmware plans to include Tidal within the HiBy app like on the R3.

However, the HiBy R6 Pro does have settings for tonality changes that will globally affect all music played.

When I use the R6 Pro as a preamp source for my Tube Amp and Burson Amp at home I set tonality to Reference. When I use as an amp for Headphones or IEMs I set tonality to Warm.

So far I’ve been real happy with the results and really don’t miss having an EQ with Tidal.

One thing I haven’t tried is to see if third party stand alone EQ Apps for Android work with the HiBy R6 Pro.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #1,653 of 4,006
EQ is only in the HiBy Music App. Applies only to music on the device played through that app.

No EQ for Tidal or other apps unless built in to the app itself. Not sure if there are future firmware plans to include Tidal within the HiBy app like on the R3.

However, the HiBy R6 Pro does have settings for tonality changes that will globally affect all music played.

When I use the R6 Pro as a preamp source for my Tube Amp and Burson Amp at home I set tonality to Reference. When I use as an amp for Headphones or IEMs I set tonality to Warm.

So far I’ve been real happy with the results and really don’t miss having an EQ with Tidal.

One thing I haven’t tried is to see if third party stand alone EQ Apps for Android work with the HiBy R6 Pro.

With Hiby DTA, this should be doable as all these app is just UI and audio data are handled bit perfect. If EQ and MSEB is/can be applied to lowest level system which process the bit perfect input, theoretically EQ/MSEB setting can be applied to all audio stream. Based on my understanding of DTA, of course.

Apr 11, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #1,654 of 4,006

On the R6 pro (and R6 since Oreo, apparently), you can tap "MusicFX" in a music app (e.g. Poweramp) that that explicitly supports MusicFX and be taken to a system equalizer, which I've tested works with Poweramp.

You can also download a Play app called 'Equalizer - System Equalizer Shortcut' to have a shortcut to this same system equalizer whether or not your music app supports it or not. However I have not tested when this would have an effect on other apps like TIDAL and such.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 11, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #1,655 of 4,006
On my R6Pro, if I activate the equalizer in Deezer it shows me "Snapdragon Audio+" as equalizer. Doing this on a Galaxy Note activates a different equalizer page/options. Does this mean that Deezer is actually using whatever system wide equalizer is supported, and for R6 Pro this is based on some processor (Snapdragon) functions? If yes, maybe you can 'override' it to use Hiby's 8 magic balls?

Apr 11, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,656 of 4,006
On the R6 pro (and R6 since Oreo, apparently), you can tap "MusicFX" in a music app (e.g. Poweramp) that that explicitly supports MusicFX and be taken to a system equalizer, which I've tested works with Poweramp.

You can also download a Play app called 'Equalizer - System Equalizer Shortcut' to have a shortcut to this same system equalizer whether or not your music app supports it or not. However I have not tested when this would have an effect on other apps like TIDAL and such.

Equalizer - System Equalizer doesn’t seem to truely activate a system EQ on the R6 Pro. It will show Snapdragon Audio+, but has no dsp effect on Tidal, HiBy, YouTube, etc. so I’m guessing that HiBy stripped out the EQ in its Oreo OS.

However I just tried Bass Booster & Equalizer by Coocent and it works with Tidal, so I’m assuming globally also. Another plus is that it stays active even when closed. Should make everyone happy. Only 5 band EQ, but I’m sure some other apps will work. So just experiment. I don’t really EQ because the cans and IEMs I use seem to have good resolution and don’t clip on the R6 Pro. so my search stops here. Was just researching for others.

Actually might use it with Tidal, it’s surround effect is interesting and it doesn’t seem to degrade sound in Tidal.

A5FD75E7-98F9-4767-9492-843B87099B40.png

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #1,658 of 4,006
@ Ziggomatic…. highly appreciate you for quickly directing me to the review where the sound comparison between Hiby Pro 6 and WM1A is pretty comprehensive...

I incline to pull trigger on Hiby R6 Pro now...

As the result.... I decided to pull the trigger and will get Hiby R6 Pro by tomorrow morning.... getting excited !

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,660 of 4,006
Have anybody heard about aluminum version?
I got pro version but want smaller weight.
As far as I know, only the original R6 has an aluminium version.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 11, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #1,662 of 4,006
Just pulled the trigger for a new R6 Pro. Should I be able hear a difference between the R6 Pro and my current everyday carry, my LG G7 ThinQ?
I have the LG V35 ThinQ which has the same quad dac standard that LG is putting in all their flagship phones nowadays. The difference with the R6 Pro, even without messing with the EQ, is night and day. The Soundstage and instrument separation cannot be done as well with simple DAC setups like LG is doing. And the frequencies feel much smoother and balanced on the R6 Pro even in my car speaker system. You're going to love your purchase, given that you have at least some decent chi-fi or mid to hi-fi headphones or IEMs to use with it.

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #1,663 of 4,006
Sorry if this was asked here earlier. Will there be a subtle notice in the sound if i were to upgrade from r6 to r6 pro? Pairing it with my Jomo iem.

Been using my current r6 mainly through 2.5mm but recently it is having problem whereby it output only one side and its a hassle for me to send back to hiby for servicing.

So i thought of just buying the r6 pro.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #1,665 of 4,006
Sorry if this was asked here earlier. Will there be a subtle notice in the sound if i were to upgrade from r6 to r6 pro? Pairing it with my Jomo iem.

Been using my current r6 mainly through 2.5mm but recently it is having problem whereby it output only one side and its a hassle for me to send back to hiby for servicing.

So i thought of just buying the r6 pro.
Based on reviews the sound is improved on the R6 Pro. However I only have the Pro.
As for warranty work. Did you buy the R6 direct from Hiby? Also double check with another set of IEMs to be sure the problem really is the R6 and not iem. If you really are giving up on getting it fixed try compressed air to clear possible debris in the port.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back