HiBy R6 pro II + HiBy Crystal 6 Gen II / HiBy Zeta Easter 2023 inaugural tour--first impressions rolling in!
Apr 15, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #61 of 100

Hiby R6 Pro 2: Unboxing and First Impressions​

INTRO

I just got the latest medium-end DAP from Hiby (available for pre-order today on their website), the R6 Pro II (hereinafter R6Pro2), as part of HiFiGo’s review tour. Before anything else, I’d like to thank HiFiGo and Hiby for the opportunity to review some awesome audio gear, particularly the R6Pro2 (spoiler alert!). That being said, all content, opinions, conjectures, and errors expressed herein are entirely my own. I try not to be biased as far as humanly possible.

Out of the Box

The unboxing experience is straightforward and simple, yet stylish, setting the tone for my initial impressions. Upon opening, you are immediately greeted by the device itself, the tour unit coming in wearing sexy black (there’s a more popular purple colorway too). Its large screen is the first thing I noticed; much larger than my FiiO M11 Plus. It’s also considerably thinner than the M11 Plus (please see included photos for size comparison). I’m digging the overall design language, particularly the “waveform” design at the back, which probably helps dissipate heat. The included accessories, spartan but complete, are also well appreciated, particularly the faux leather case, the type A adapter for the type C cable, and the extra screen and back protectors. No need to look for essential aftermarket accessories. Very thoughtful.

At First Blush

Of course, I couldn’t help but boot it up immediately after unboxing. Initial boot time took just about 3 to 5 seconds. The introduction screen and dialogue boxes are straightforward and easy to follow since I’m familiar with Android from the M11 Plus. However, the R6Pro2 uses Hiby’s proprietary OS, which is a first for me.

Although I couldn’t test the touted 2 terabyte capacity of the R6Pro2, I’m happy to report that it had no problems with my 1 terabyte microSD card. The DAP was able to scan around 380 gigabytes worth of music in less than a minute.

Logging into my Apple Music account was also a breeze. However, loading my entire Apple Music Library took a bit longer, around 2 minutes. In fairness, I have accumulated a relatively extensive library and created several playlists, as I’ve been using Apple Music for quite some time now. Once that was complete and Apple Music was up and running, I immediately noticed that playback abruptly cut at the tail end of songs. My theory is that I would need to tweak the playback settings. I’ll report back to you guys once I’ve confirmed this.

Sound Impressions

My initial listen was done with the settings on class A amp mode at high gain using Letshuoer Cadenza 12 playing, as per usual, the Eagles’ Hotel California (24-bit 192 kHz) at 32 to 38 dB. Here’s my initial take, all in comparison to the FiiO M11 Plus:

• I couldn’t help but notice immediately how nicely warmer the sound replay was. As I prefer a warmish neutral sound signature, this is right up my alley.
  • Bass was a tad richer, with the bass guitar at the intro full and accomplished (note replay from beginning to end is complete and accurate).
  • During this initial listen, I hazard to say that the sound replay is akin to tube amps, perhaps with less natural distortion. I must say that they really complement the Cadenza 12’s technical capabilities. It reveals more nuances of the tracks played by the Cadenza 12, with micro details pleasantly and subtly revealed but nothing overboard or unnaturally pushed forward.
  • At this point, I veered from my usual initial listening routine as I couldn’t help but immediately throw a few DSD files at it to test how well it could handle them. With the Cadenza 12, the details are wonderfully revealed, with a touch of warmth that ticks off my first impressions like boxes.
  • I did notice some noise when music is on pause at the class A amp and high gain setting, but nothing distracting or annoying. This could depend on the IEMs used; in this instance, it’s the Cadenza 12.

OUTRO

So these are my initial thoughts on the R6Pro2 based on a very short time with it. I look forward to spending more time getting to know it. I’m very excited to try them with Hiby’s Crystal6 version 2, explore possible synergies with other audio gears (headphones, IEMs, and Bluetooth devices), and compare this DAP extensively with my trusty FiiO M11 Plus ESS. Thank you for taking the time to read this short take, and I hope to see you in the next one.

#HibyR6ProII #DAP #Unboxing #InitialImpressions #MALEAudioReviews
To clarify, this is part of the HiBy tour. It was intended to ship the unit first to all the Filipino applicants on head-fi and then further circulate a unit through other participants found by @Zerstorer_GOhren in the country, but owing to a slip-up in communication @male73 was misidentified as one of those head-fi applicants and shipped the unit first. But the other members in the Philippines are cool with it :) Nice first impressions @male73 👍🏻

I believe he has photos and other stuff to add to this, just having some technical difficulties on head-fi being quite new here :D

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 19, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #62 of 100
Just a heads up guys, we have decided to put out more units for the tour, and in light of the above are reopening applications for a limited time. Prior applications will also be re-evaluated. :)

Everyone will be getting the R6pro II, some with the Crystal6 ii IEMs, some with our new flagship Zeta IEMs :ksc75smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 19, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #64 of 100
Just a heads up guys, we have decided to put out more units for the tour, and in light of the above are reopening applications for a limited time. Prior applications will also be re-evaluated. :)

Everyone will be getting the R6pro II, some with the Crystal6 ii IEMs, some with our new flagship Zeta IEMs :ksc75smile:

Really good news. Thanks for this

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #65 of 100
𝗛𝗜𝗕𝗬 𝗥𝟲 𝗣𝗥𝗢 𝗜𝗜: 𝗗𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗔 𝗣𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗿(𝗗𝗔𝗣)
This is just an impressions and not yet the full take. I only started last night since i already received it in the midnight so without further ado lets start the impressions and preliminary review of the HIBY R6 PRO II.
-----
𝑫𝒆𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒏 𝑪𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒈𝒐𝒓𝒚
in the back of this player you can see the carbon fiber design, the hiby branding and some wavy lines. The placement of the buttons are very easy to reach and navigate with one hand.
-----
𝙊𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙎𝙮𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙢
This runs on open android 12 which is you can install any apps inside the playstore such as Spotify, Tidal and other music apps
-----
𝑫𝒊𝒔𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚
The display size is 5.9 and with a display type of IPS LCD with resolution of 1080x2160, refresh rate i guess 60hz
-----
𝙋𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙨
This 4 ports that conists of 2 balanced port and 2 3.5 mm ports. Since i dont have any idea the functions of the ports but in my experience the right balanced port is for headphones and iems and the other balance port is for the line out. The 3.5mm ports is also simillar to the balance ports the left 3.5mm is for auxilary and the 3.5mm is the authentic raw power. Since this is first time to experience with this kinds of port my idea might be wrong.
-----
𝙃𝙮𝙗𝙧𝙞𝙙 𝙎𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙎𝙩𝙮𝙡𝙚: 𝙑𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝘿𝙧𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙏𝙮𝙥𝙚 𝙎𝙞𝙜𝙣𝙖𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙚
Since this is an initial impressions i would use this term for this intial takes, This has many sound options you can modify just to suite your preferences. I always use high gain but dont worry before i switch to high i always remove all volume and set it to zero. In terms of the sound style, its either warm-neutral or balanced-neutral since this is an initial impressions it might change in long usage use
-----
𝙃𝙮𝙗𝙧𝙞𝙙 𝙋𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧
This is the other term that i will used in my full review, basically this refers to the power output and performance. While doing some researches to the Hiby R6 Pro ii it may lack that power compare to its previous gen, but honestly i dont have any issue to it becuase it gives that sufficient power i want in my gears and to my tracks.
-----
𝙁𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙡 𝘼𝙩𝙩𝙖𝙘𝙠 𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙧
So for my outro in my initial impressions of the Hiby R6 Pro ii, I would say that it is a well-designed music player with easy-to-navigate buttons and a responsive user interface. and the sound is very pleasing and enjoyable to listen to.

341854452_252485083843535_8856558370775400941_n.jpg

341277485_1300405307489948_3111001188653596373_n.jpg

341334115_6857220707628650_3284636464536795287_n.jpg

341588455_240240251829862_8268385977943794568_n.jpg

Apr 28, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #67 of 100
Hi Joe,

1.) English language

2.)
Present and former Gear:
Ath m50
Sennheiser Momentum
Shure 535
Westone 4R
Sennheiser Amperior
Ibasso dx90
Fidue a83
Hifiman he400i
Jds labs o2
Fiio x5ii
Shure se846
Xduoo x3
Sony a55
Opus #1
Questyle Qp1r
Aaw w300
Beyerdynamic dt1770
AK t1p
Lz a3
Eternal Melody em5
Pioneer ch9t
Oriveti New Primacy
Empire Ears Supra 2
Audeze Sine
Sony wm1a
Acoustune 1650
Onkyo dps1
Colorfly c10
Fiio x7
Mr speakers aeon Closed
Sony z7m2
Shanling m5s
Audio technica ckr90
Aune Jasper
Ibasso dx160
Astell and Kern ak380
Moondrop Chu
Tanchjim Tanya
KZ edx
Ibasso dx200
Final Audio e5000
Hifiman svanar

3) review: https://m.facebook.com/groups/286563245020718/permalink/323009384709437/?mibextid=Nif5oz (private group might not be viewable) I can provide a screenshot though

As a Guest reviewer: https://audiorealviews.site/sony-mdr-z7m2-review/

4.) Location Philippines

Headfi member since 2013 😅
I haven't tried any Hiby product before.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #68 of 100
It would be great to be on the tour. The native language is English.

Current portable gear for an integrated is an aging Cayin N5II. I have sold or retired any number of units over the year, including both versions the first Hiby R5, and a R5II. My main issue was the slow performance with apps on previous units. This unit looks promising.

I do have a few dongles lying around; a Ztella entry level (3.5), a Shanlin with the 2.5 mm connector, and a FIIO with AKM chipset and 2.5, 3.5, and 4.4.

I have written quite a few reviews over the years. I will agree to photos as requested; though often I have been so low in the queue that quite a few photos have already been posted by the time I get to writing.

Live in Minneapolis, MN.

Apr 29, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #69 of 100
Hello, this sounds amazing and I would love to be a part of the review tour!

Name: Chris Love with mobileaudiophile.com

Gear: iBasso DX240 with Amp8 MK2, Shanling M6 Ultra, Ifi Go Blu, Qudelix 5k, Moondrop Dawn 4.4, Fiio KA3 and some older gear which I break out from time to time for review purposes.

Review experience: I write audio reviews for mobileaudiophile.com and have many on the site. I also share all of my reviews to Head-Fi as well. Here is a few links: Simgot EA500, Kinera Hodur, Hidizs MS5 and many more at the website. I share the exact reviews to Headfi as well.

Region that I live in: I live near Cleveland Ohio in the United States

This sounds awesome and I would be thrilled to feature these products. Thank you for the opportunity!

May 2, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #73 of 100

HIBY Zeta First Impressions:​

• Minimalist packaging with superb inclusions (even includes a cute pouch for each earpiece!)
  • Insanely good overall build quality (to be expected for a kilobuck)
  • Only 4.4 termination
  • Fun L/V Shaped sound signature
  • Insanely good bass presentation with deep hitting but punchy presentaton
  • Slightly recessed midrange
  • Well elevated treble with subpar extension and air
  • Kilobuck levels of resolution and note definition
  • Decently wide stage barred by the overly emphasized bass
  • Superb imaging, layering and separation

The Hiby Zeta features a whopping 19-Driver system (4 EST, 4 BA, 1DD each side) with a 5-way crossover and 5 independent tubes all housed in a CNC machined Titanium Alloy Shell.

A kilobuck IEM deserves kilobuck accessories, and the Zeta delivers in that regard. You get 8 pairs of tips with 3 pairs being akin to comply, 3 pairs that are a nice silicone narrow bore tip and 3 tried and tested KBEar/AET07-like tips. The cable, being infused with Lapuz lazuli, feels fitting for a kilobuck IEM due to how sturdy, premium, and well braided the strands are. The build is no slouch either and feels like a million dollar in the hands. And as for sound, bassheads without budget rejoice because the Zeta has one of the deepest, most impactful bass that I’ve heard in the kilobuck range that does not sacrifice midrange and treble quality. Its detail retrieval and note definition is also very impressive for the amount of bass that it has as it is still able to pick out details in even more complex tracks. And to top it all off, it has imaging, layering and separation that superb for the asking price.

However, the Zeta only comes in 4.4mm termination which, I know at this price people probably have sources that have balanced output (or you can just change the cable) but it would’ve been nice if they included a 3.5mm cable or, better yet, a modular cable. Despite being 9 ohms, the 100db sensitivity makes it scale in power quite well and a modular cable would allow it to be pushed further. Speaking of being pushed further, the bass can definitely be argued to have been pushed up way too much as there’s a considerable amount of emphasis that can occasionally leave some midrange instruments and vocals a tad bit recessed. I also found the treble to lack that last bit of extension and air that my treblehead ears picked up upon my first listen. This, along with the the midbass boost affecting the overall midrange timbre affects the openness and overall stage.

And to really nitpick, I’d say the vibrant cable felt like an afterthought with the Zeta’s industrial design cue. You could argue it’s contrasting but I just don’t think it fits.

The Hiby Zeta stands atop a price that is taken by legends like the Monarch MKII, CA Andromeda and to an extent, the Z1R. And while I need to spend more time with it, I can confidently say that the Zeta can stand its ground with its fun, V/L Shaped tuning with enough resolution and technical chops to make it sit by the big boys.

Thank you to @Joe Bloggs for giving me and my fellow Filipino reviewers the opportunity to review the Zeta! This is such a fresh sound in the kilobuck segment.

Stay tuned for my full review!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    878.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 5.png
    5.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 6.png
    6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 7.png
    7.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 8.png
    8.png
  • 9.png
    9.png
May 3, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #75 of 100
Crystal 6 IEMs up loading unboxing video now.
I have been using them for a couple days and this is my view as a music lover and not really an audiophile.
I used them with the R6ProII and suddenly discovered just how much musical content I was missing out on with my other IEMs.

I used my go to third party player on the R6ProII, Poweramp Pro( it's what I'm used to) and the balanced output on the R6.
With all setting on the EQ set to zero I listened to a full range of music from classical to reggae.

Sound was ok but with a few setting changes the Crystal6 came alive.
I used the tips supplied and my own and for comfort reasons used a set of large silicon tips.
I found them very light and very comfortable to wear over long periods of time, and had no wearer fatigue.

The Sound. Treble was very crisp but not over powering or tinny.
. Mids were clear and open ended, they blended in with the highs and lows, something I had not heard before in my other lower priced IEMs
. Bass was there but not thumping or overpowering, I didn't get bass fatigue, it was just well rounded and comfortable.

I'm not an audiophile but these little IEMs really opened my eye's and ears to new sounds Hi-Res was a dream :)

crystal.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back