HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) Android digital audio player, Dual ES9038Q2M, Class A / AB amplification switch, Snapdragon 665, Open Android 12 OS, DSD512 / PCM768
Apr 2, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #466 of 1,511
Any fast V30 card should do at 512GB, the Samsung Pro Plus (160MB/s), Kingston Canvas Go Plus (170MB/s), SanDisk Ultra (150MB/s). Just look for something in budget/ preference (by brand) that has a fast speed. Go with major brands Kingston, SanDisk, Samsung etc, that have known longevity. And check reviews to see if there are common issues. Also micro SD cards can lose storage (if dropped or damaged) - so always recommended to backup same things on an alternate storage (laptop/ desktop/ hard drive etc).
I am using a HAMA 64 GB Class 10 with only 22 MB/second transfer speed in my Hiby R6 gen 3 and works stable and I have mostly FLAC files with Compression 4 or 5 onit.

Apr 2, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #467 of 1,511
I am using a HAMA 64 GB Class 10 with only 22 MB/second transfer speed in my Hiby R6 gen 3 and works stable and I have mostly FLAC files with Compression 4 or 5 onit.
Ah sorry for not clarifying - I was quoting sequential read speeds. The Hama is also pretty fast at 90MB/s and is Class 10 which are meant to be fast. The issue with larger storage devices (256/512GB is they slow down the more data is filled so you want a really fast one to start with so even after it slows at max capacity you still have fast speeds). The transfer speed will be slower on any device than read speeds, but what will affect the performance when used as offline storage is the read speed.

Apr 2, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #468 of 1,511
Where can I buy a decent case for the R6 III here in the UK? Amazon only seems to have the smoked plastic one which doesn’t look great…

I’m excited about getting the R6 III and hope to buy it this week. I recently bought some Fiio FH9 IEMs for use with my aging 2014 Fiio X5, but the battery is dying. The FH9’s are an absolute joy (after returning the shrill FH5s Pro) even with this player, but after researching, the Hiby and its adaptable sound, I’m very keen to get it.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #469 of 1,511
Where can I buy a decent case for the R6 III here in the UK? Amazon only seems to have the smoked plastic one which doesn’t look great…

I’m excited about getting the R6 III and hope to buy it this week. I recently bought some Fiio FH9 IEMs for use with my aging 2014 Fiio X5, but the battery is dying. The FH9’s are an absolute joy (after returning the shrill FH5s Pro) even with this player, but after researching, the Hiby and its adaptable sound, I’m very keen to get it.
I bought one from Hiby's website and it was delivered to the UK within a week.

Apr 2, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #470 of 1,511
I bought one from Hiby's website and it was delivered to the UK within a week.
Ah nice! Did you have to pay any additional duty/ tax/ vat/ fees on it?

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #472 of 1,511
Made a cheat-sheet (image) for the LED color meaning since Hiby's website doesn't have one. Got the info from the manual.
HibyR6III-LED.png

I've updated the post after fixing color for 64K-192K and some typos.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #474 of 1,511
... also if I put the song on pause, then after 3 seconds I get a loud click.
Class A.
I get a slight pop/click after 3 seconds from pausing playback on the 3.5mm out and also (quieter) with Bluetooth. Not used the line or balanced outs. I noticed a click when I changed track from a Flac file to DSD file too.
Newbie here and with DAP’s in general, Hello all. Other than the above minor issues the R6 iii is great, I’m really impressed with it and dithered over getting the R3 Sabre 2022 or this and I’m glad I bought this one in the end.
Is there a option to play all files randomly? So far I can only get it to do random play of albums or artists.
edit, got it I have to add title to view options.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #475 of 1,511
Apr 5, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #476 of 1,511
I tried to install some apps (Google GBoard keyboard and Hype Machine) and they complain that "Google Play Services" is not installed in the device.
When I get into the Play Store, both are installed.
Can this be checked if there is something missing in the firmware?

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #477 of 1,511
Apr 5, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #478 of 1,511
Apr 6, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #479 of 1,511
I have the same experience, I used mine for a while and it got very warm. (good for winter as pocket warmer). and yes it has weight to it.
The excessive heating is probably due to the use of class A amplification. To solve this, just configure class AB and the heat production becomes non-existent, I have not found any qualitative differences detectable with my (old) hearing. The weight...it's a top class product and its weight is commensurate with the level of quality it offers, I got used to its weight quickly.

After a few months I can say that I am satisfied with this player. It offers great listening quality (especially with the balanced output) and its price, commensurate with what you buy, is really excellent.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #480 of 1,511
Got my HiBy R6 Gen 3 today and very impressed. It's a marked step up from my 2014 Fiio X5mk1. One notable difference is how even with Spotify set to 'very high' quality, it sounds pretty poor compared to the huge sound stage from files stored in FLAC on a memory card. To think this was the quality I heard on my iPhone for all those years....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back