HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) Android digital audio player, Dual ES9038Q2M, Class A / AB amplification switch, Snapdragon 665, Open Android 12 OS, DSD512 / PCM768
Mar 14, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #256 of 1,514
I was of the understanding that the R6 III was able to bypass the android limitation across the whole system - is this not correct?
Yes it is, but the app itself does not support bit perfect playback to internal Android DACs, only to external DACs. So it's the app, not the R6 III. Same thing happens with ANY Android device.
Interesting. Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. So just to clarify, on Hiby DAP's (and most other DAP's that bypass Android system wide resampling), for the avoidance of doubt:
- Native music player app (Hiby Music, etc) - bit perfect
- 3rd party music player apps (Neutron, UAPP, mconnect) - bit perfect
- 3rd party streaming apps (Tidal, Qobuz, etc) - bit perfect
- Roon Arc - not (yet) bit perfect?
Correct. Roon Android app also not bit perfect. Other apps, like Plex and Plexamp, are also limited to 16/44.1/48. If the app itself isn't passing on or supporting bit perfect hi-res information, there's nothing the DAP can do.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #257 of 1,514
Interesting. Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. So just to clarify, on Hiby DAP's (and most other DAP's that bypass Android system wide resampling), for the avoidance of doubt:
I'll also throw in that nether Plexmedia nor Plexamp ore bit perfect and playback at 48K. Screenshots from left to right Plex | Pleaxamp | Hiby

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230314-094126.png
    Screenshot_20230314-094126.png
    589.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230314-094328.png
    Screenshot_20230314-094328.png
    578.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230314-094416.png
    Screenshot_20230314-094416.png
    792.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #258 of 1,514
I'll also throw in that nether Plexmedia nor Plexamp ore bit perfect and playback at 48K. Screenshots from left to right Plex | Pleaxamp | Hiby
Correct. The advantage of Plex is that you can use it as a DLNA server, and therefore access the entire library, including native DSD, using a DLNA-compatible app like UAPP (or HiBy Music). It's not very elegant, mind you, but it works, and sounds great.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #259 of 1,514
Ah, that is a very good point. I'd never thought to use Arc on a DAP in this manner, but I think I might just start. I tend to use the standalone Qobuz and Tidal apps on my DAP, as that lets me offline music (which is not allowed in Arc) and I am mostly using my DAP in situations without internet access. Then when I do have connectivity I mostly use Spotify for music discovery, simply because their catalog is so large. But more recently I've been using my DAP in situations with connectivity much more often, and for those situations Arc does make a lot of sense. Thanks.

Mostly correct as @gLer said except for third party apps. The big 4 (Apple Music, Amazon Music, Qobuz and Tidal) generally work in high-resolution on most DAPs with SRC bypass. Spotify is never high-resolution and Amazon is not bit-perfect as it likes to upsample to 24/192. Sometimes app updates break things as well.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #261 of 1,514
It's not the topic, but Shanling DAPs have the AGLO system (Android Global Lossless Output) for bypassing the android SRC limitation.
Yes, same as HiBy's DTA. Same tech, different name. Most of the Android DAP makers have something similar, other than Sony.

Mar 14, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #262 of 1,514
Yes, same as HiBy's DTA. Same tech, different name. Most of the Android DAP makers have something similar, other than Sony.
I thought that HiBy had something superior implemented. That's disappointing and a deal breaker for me as I was hoping for a self-contained way of using Roon Arc.

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #264 of 1,514
Notice to R6 III owners: I tried to update an app using the downloaded APK. It may happens with some APK that the update is not possible via file launch and therefore cannot be installed. So, you have to uninstall the app first and then install the latest APK.
On a normal smartphone, when this "impossible" update mode takes place, the message "App not installed" appears.
On R6 III that message doesn't appear, but you'll see a scary "HIBY" boot scrren that flashes intermittently for about a minute. The first thought for me was "brick" and now I can use my new device as an expensive paperweight.... no. Don't be scared, don't panic, you have to wait for it to restart by itself. Holding down the power button to restart won't help.
I consider it a bug related to non-updatable apps, launched via File Browser / Manager (not via Google Play nor via OTA automatic update).
I hope it will be fixed in the next update, because I almost passed out.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #266 of 1,514
Have got an XLR ~ 4.4mm adaptor while I wait for my 4.4mm cables to be made. Those adaptors are chunky and I ain't carrying that thing with me.

My default settings
High Gain, Class AB (very little difference to A and in a blindfold test your aint telling the difference), Soundfield plugin maxed, DSD +5db, Volume around 70 for DSD, 50-70+ lossless, (with no MSEB)

Sleaths = They work and are plenty loud, but the R6 seems to lose control a bit on a few tracks. Not really the best combination. Probably should have got the adaptor 1st before ordering a cable for these, but oh well.
660s = Actually a nice headphone for the R6. The Soundfield plugin works nicely, as I'm not a fan of the 660s OG soundstage. Well powered with masses of headroom.
NightOwls = I've always had a soft spot for these (sorry/not sorry) and respond the best with MSEB fiddling. These are my go-to headphone so far. Nice. Be interesting if the balanced cable makes a meaningful difference.

Need some more IEM's, my TinHifi P1's while the detail and verticle soundstage is insane, they lack bass and require a nuclear reactor to power.

Using The MSEB "Analog" profile Temp needs to drop a few digits after which I quite like it overall, but I find the MSEB is very track/SQ dependent just as much as headphones.

Until I update my headphone amp (current; Klipsch Heritage) and computer, I'll use this at home for now. My aging iMac will only play DSD or my SADC ISO rips when there is the letter "e" in the day.

Anyway, that's just some basic thoughts from my basic repertoire of words required for a decent review.

While I'm not a Bowie worshiper, while testing, I forgot just how damn good Ziggy Stardust album is.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #267 of 1,514
Question… MSEB, when people say it is system wide, does that apply to apps playing bit perfect (like Tidal or UAPP)? I have an old R6 Pro and it does not seem to apply, but maybe newer DAPs behave differently.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #269 of 1,514
yes it's system wide.
Thanks. Hmmm. Either that has changed since the R6 Pro, or I am doing something wrong… I can detect easily the affect of MSEB when playing through Amazon, for example, but not Tidal (when Tidal is set to bit perfect).

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #270 of 1,514
Thanks. Hmmm. Either that has changed since the R6 Pro, or I am doing something wrong… I can detect easily the affect of MSEB when playing through Amazon, for example, but not Tidal (when Tidal is set to bit perfect).
Oh, in that case maybe not for bit perfect. It works on everything else. I don't have Tidal, so probably should have stayed quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back