HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) Android digital audio player, Dual ES9038Q2M, Class A / AB amplification switch, Snapdragon 665, Open Android 12 OS, DSD512 / PCM768
Mar 10, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #226 of 1,537
I have an R5 gen 1 that I like quite a bit, except for the small screen and slow system, so I’m thinking of upgrading. Has anyone gone from the R5 i to the R6 iii and would be willing to describe the SQ differences?

Also: At only $50 more, the R6 iii looks like a far better DAP than the R5 ii. So what’s the point of the R5 now?
Hi, as I said in an earlier post I had an R5 1 but didn't have the opportunity to A/B with the R6 III as they were ships passing in the night. I'm very happy with the upgrade for a number of reasons. I'm quite sure there is a noticeable improvement in the sound detail and separation of instrument layers between the two devices, but I can't be sure. It's also possible Amazon upgraded the quality of my reference track. Anyway, I would upgrade as there certainly isn't a regression in sound.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #227 of 1,537
The issue with the MSEB has been communicated properly to engineering and should be fixed in the next update or two. Actually, it's been fixed before but a regression has bit us in the back, but if we've fixed it once...
This is great news! Thanks for the support, I'll look forward to the fix. :tools:
And also for the tip, I found everything to update... infinitely grateful! :clap::clap:

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #228 of 1,537
PEQ please I see this request so often please Hiby listen to your audience.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #229 of 1,537
Question about Bluetooth and DAC audio lag. Loveing this DAP more and more everyday.. working on a longer term review.. but am having issues with lagginess while in Bluetooth and DAC Mode that is really driving me crazy. When connected in Bluetooth Recieving mode. no mater the Codec, ACC on Apple Device or LDACLL on my Samsung S21 Ultra, I can't seem to get ride of bluetooth audio syncing issues. I also have not been able to succesfully pair the R6 III to my ATV 4K. I'm having similar sync issues while using this devcice as a DAC on my MacBook Pro laptop and audio in general feeling very laggy. Any advice on how to get consistent and better results using my R6 III as a bluetotth reciever & in DAC mode would be greatly appreciated. I am getting sick of having to pull out my FiiO BTR5 and BTR3K when I much prefer the sound from this DAP.. especially with the MSEB controls.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #230 of 1,537
Hi, A got a few q for R6 III owners:
1. Do You really hear the differences in sound between class A and AB - for me it is very subtle.
2. MSEB is great software but it works weird, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It shoud be fixed.
3. Cooperation with the iPhone is complicated :) I can't, for example, use the phone as a source of the Internet. Even though both devices are paired.
4. Hiby music - great application but e.g. Tidal in Hiby Music works less stable than as in separate application. It happens to stop (communicates as an error or no network) which has never happened in the Tidal standalone app.

The DAP itself is sonically excellent. I really like the sound quality, the execution only needs to be improved by these small elements :).

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #231 of 1,537
1. Do You really hear the differences in sound between class A and AB - for me it is very subtle.
2. MSEB is great software but it works weird, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It shoud be fixed.
3. Cooperation with the iPhone is complicated :) I can't, for example, use the phone as a source of the Internet. Even though both devices are paired.
4. Hiby music - great application but e.g. Tidal in Hiby Music works less stable than as in separate application. It happens to stop (communicates as an error or no network) which has never happened in the Tidal standalone app.

The DAP itself is sonically excellent. I really like the sound quality, the execution only needs to be improved by these small elements :).
Hi,
as I have Android and I don't use Tidal in HiBy Music, I can reply only to:

1. Totally agree, no audible difference for my ears switching between AB and A. I thought to find some when I plugged my Beyerdynamic DT990 BSE 250 Ohms, but no. Honestly I don't know when / why I should use it in A mode (and more battery drain as well).

2. This seems what I've spotted in my previous post and I really hope to get it fixed in the next HiBy app update.

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #232 of 1,537
1. A/AB - I am curious if it is possible to fix this in the next firmware update I mean a bigger difference in sound in favor of class A, cause in fact, apart from battery drain after switching to class A, I did not feel any increase in sound quality.
Hi,
as I have Android and I don't use Tidal in HiBy Music, I can reply only to:

1. Totally agree, no audible difference for my ears switching between AB and A. I thought to find some when I plugged my Beyerdynamic DT990 BSE 250 Ohms, but no. Honestly I don't know when / why I should use it in A mode (and more battery drain as well).

2. This seems what I've spotted in my previous post and I really hope to get it fixed in the next HiBy app update.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #235 of 1,537
Hey guys, my full review of the HiBy R6 III is now online here.

R6III_04.jpg

Feel free to ask questions by PM or on this thread. Enjoy!

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #236 of 1,537
Hey guys, my full review of the HiBy R6 III is now online here.

R6III_04.jpg

Feel free to ask questions by PM or on this thread. Enjoy!
Awesome review! I am so tempted to pick up the R6 III, but I will wait to see what (how much) will be the R6 Pro 2023 (or whatever it will be called)…

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #237 of 1,537
Streaming Qobuz every day no problem.
How well has it been handling the downloading/off-lining process in Qobuz (or other streaming apps)? On my R5 II files download so slowly that it's impractical to use it with offlined music. Downloads take an average of about 20 minutes per song. Similar with Tidal, although Tidal has a whole host of other issues on that device. I'm interested in upgrading to the R6 III, but only if it plays nice with streaming apps and offlined music.

Anyone else using R6 III with streaming apps? Curious to hear more reports about how well it performs both streaming over wifi and offline.

hiby please gives us PEQ
PEQ please I see this request so often please Hiby listen to your audience.
Yes, please. +1 for PEQ on Hiby DAP's!

Also: At only $50 more, the R6 iii looks like a far better DAP than the R5 ii. So what’s the point of the R5 now?
I was wondering the same thing, since I currently have the R5 II, which I bought specifically for its battery life. I think that is the only advantage of the R5 II at this point. And in my experience the R5 II is so slow and laggy due to the processor and version of android its running that the extra battery life is not worth the inconvenience. The user experience is really pretty poor unless you are ONLY using local files with the Hiby player, and not using 3rd party apps or streaming services.

I can only speak from my experience with the R5 II, but on that model the difference was present, but very slight to my ears. I'd expect the implementation to be similar on the R6 III. Perceptible, but only if you arepaying extremely close attention. I value battery life above most other features of a DAP, so for my use case it generally isn't worth the battery life hit to run in class A. But it may be worth it for you if battery life isn't as important.

ETA: If anyone has experiences with both the R5 II and the R6 III I'd love to hear some comparisons on OS performance, latency, etc when using multiple apps beyond just the stock Hiby app. R6 III seems like it should be a clear upgrade in the performance department, but would be great to hear for sure before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #238 of 1,537
Hmmmm....so the R6 Pro will feature AKM? Does it also get Class A/AB?
I like the specs of the R6 III machine with the exception of ESS chipsets. I really prefer AKM sound. I suppose I need to hear some R2R....

Does the R6 III support Android Auto (or whatever it is called this week)?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #239 of 1,537
Hmmmm....so the R6 Pro will feature AKM? Does it also get Class A/AB?
I like the specs of the R6 III machine with the exception of ESS chipsets. I really prefer AKM sound. I suppose I need to hear some R2R....

Does the R6 III support Android Auto (or whatever it is called this week)?
The R6 does not support Android Auto, which I’m more than a bit gutted about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back