HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) Android digital audio player, Dual ES9038Q2M, Class A / AB amplification switch, Snapdragon 665, Open Android 12 OS, DSD512 / PCM768
May 4, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #601 of 1,526
No, I'm running the latest firmware and not experienced this at all.
Interesting. I've wondered if I have a defective one because my battery never charges above 99%, not that it's necessarily related. I'll try a factory reset on the device and see if that helps.

May 4, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #602 of 1,526
I asked this in the UAPP thread, but didn't get any responses, so maybe it's an R6III-specific issue:

In UAPP, many artists in my library are not appearing as they should in the Album Artist tab. UAPP is definitely reading the files because they show up properly in the Artist tab (and viewing the metadata in the app shows that the Album Artist info is correct), just not the Album Artist tab. With the same exact microSD card and the same exact version of UAPP, this problem does not occur with the FiiO M11S, but I don't know if the R6III itself is the issue or it's somehow an Android 12 issue (the M11S uses Android 10). I've tried clearing the UAPP app data and uninstalling, but the problem persists after reinstalling the app. I usually prefer to use Album Artist because it makes it a lot more streamlined with compilations, so this has been an annoyance for me.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas for solutions? Thanks.

May 5, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #606 of 1,526
Anyone besides me seeing this issue? It seems to happen every 30 minutes or so no matter what music app I'm listening on, whether I'm using my local or online libraries. It seems like something is killing the music task because it typically loses its place in the album when it stops and the hardware buttons won't restart playback until I reopen the app.
Is this with playback through the player's headphone jacks or out to a separate USB DAC/amp?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 5, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #607 of 1,526
Ok… here’s a different scenario with same SR display behaviour (possible bug): Tidal playing same MQA track a) with USB out connection b) with headphones connection. a) reports 88.2 b) reports 705.6 led purple in both cases which means is decoding MQA. Uploaded the 2 images
With USB the player can be responsible for the 1st decode to "MQB" which is what it's reporting out at the top, the SR as it leaves the player. The DAC would be responsible for any further unfolds. I say "can" because the DAC can also be responsible for the full decoding process depending on settings (which may or may not be available to users).

With onboard headphone out the player sees the MQA signal through the whole decoding and unfolding process.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 6, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #608 of 1,526
All the following is with the Tidal Master track Aqui Em Casa:

(photo b/5791 headphone):

My tendency would be to say that your unit is OK in that it shows the 16X unfolded SR in upper screen with the track being played in the Tidal app with your Hiby R6 III. It's receiving a raw streamed MQA sample rate 44.1 track and unfolding it to 705.6 kHz. My Shanling looks exactly like that in the upper right screen.

When you start using Tidal Android app with USB DAC out it's a bit murky as Tidal is not really officially a USB DAC capable player like UAPP. With my Shanling M6 Pro 21 it sometimes takes me two or three tries to get the USB handshake using Tidal app. When it works, the DAC will show MQA OFS and purple light.

For the sake of the argument I did do the Tidal app USB out to Hiby RS2 as DAC and when I got it eventually working, on the DAC it said 44.1 and MQA OFS +purple light. There was no upper right DAP SR readout on my DAP in this case but the purple DAC light indicates that the DAC is unfolding MQA and presumably it's outputting at 705.6kHz unfolded.

In UAPP DAC mode with that cut, while I got no upper right DAP SR readout, in the UAPP player it said USB DAC 705.6 kHz. The Hiby RS2 DAC screen said MQA 44.1 with a green light on the DAC.
Here’s the answer from Hiby - up sampling? Then is no longer “what the artist wants to be…” per definition of MQA.
"The HiBy R6 III and HiBy RS6 support MQA 16x decoding capability. Playing 44.1KHz/48KHz MQA tracks will be upsampling to 705.6KHz/768KHz. The sampling rates displayed in the upper right corner are the actual output information.
When it's used as a USB DAC device to play MQA tracks, the display information on the screen is the original sampling rate of the MQA file. It usually shows MQA, MQA Studio, or OFS. OFS indicates that this is the original sampling rate of the file."

May 6, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #609 of 1,526
Here’s the answer from Hiby - up sampling? Then is no longer “what the artist wants to be…” per definition of MQA.
"The HiBy R6 III and HiBy RS6 support MQA 16x decoding capability. Playing 44.1KHz/48KHz MQA tracks will be upsampling to 705.6KHz/768KHz. The sampling rates displayed in the upper right corner are the actual output information.
When it's used as a USB DAC device to play MQA tracks, the display information on the screen is the original sampling rate of the MQA file. It usually shows MQA, MQA Studio, or OFS. OFS indicates that this is the original sampling rate of the file."

Actually, MQA should always upsample to the DACs maximum capability, either 4x, 8x or 16x depending on the DAC chip (if an MQA decoder/renderer)

https://bobtalks.co.uk/blog/science-mqa/mqa-playback/#

"Generally, MQA decoders automatically ‘unfold’ as far as the hardware permits"

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #611 of 1,526
We're only doing what MQA asked us to do. Whether they're true to their definition, or whether MQA can even be defined as such, is a question for another day.

May 6, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #612 of 1,526
Hey guys! Here's my take on HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) DAP and CR06 dock. Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy the read, cheers!

HiBy R6 III Featured Image.jpg

May 7, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #615 of 1,526
Very good take- maybe you could elaborate more on the CR-06 and it’s digital outputs (coaxial & optical)-it deserves.

Thanks! I've been thinking of using the optical connection just so that I can connect it to my audio interfaces to use my studio monitors calibration file via Sonarworks Reference but for the review, I mostly limited it to the analog connections because I didn't want to complicate things by adding in more digital devices and them in turn adding their own flavour to the path and influencing the final sound.

To fix CR06 as a final stay in my desktop setup, best would be me connecting it to the audio interfaces using the optical connection rather than alternating the input on my monitors. When I do, I'll jot down and add impressions and pictures of the same in my review and post an update here too. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back