HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Feb 4, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #5,462 of 6,622
Guys, anyone tried R6 with Etymotic ER4 XR/SR? How is the sound, is it good combination?
I upgraded from the Etymotic ER4PT to the ER4SR when it was first introduced a year or so ago. I've had the R6 for a couple of months.( Owning a Opus #1 previously) I'm very satisfied with the ER4SR /R6 combination. I listen to chamber music, jazz, orchestral and rock/pop/folk FLAC and HiRes downloads. I feel they pair up well and am happy so far.

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #5,464 of 6,622
IMG_3760.JPG

Feb 4, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #5,465 of 6,622
its a dual dac dap better in sound quality than signle dac dap?. this came to my mind because both HIBY R6 and R3 use the same dac (ES9028Q2M SABRE) but the R6 has two of them so i was thinkng if there is a real difference in sound quaility or its just the output power.

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #5,466 of 6,622
Yes, technically it;s better. It use each DAC in mono configuration. So each channel is separated and when this correctly realized also in output stage, then you can enjoy really in balanced output.
I do listen R6 from balance out and can confirm it;s really shine and sweet. You just realize what you payed for. Strongly advice.
Now, is there are also benefits if you go single ended is a good question.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #5,467 of 6,622
Yes, technically it;s better. It use each DAC in mono configuration. So each channel is separated and when this correctly realized also in output stage, then you can enjoy really in balanced output.
I do listen R6 from balance out and can confirm it;s really shine and sweet. You just realize what you payed for. Strongly advice.
Now, is there are also benefits if you go single ended is a good question.
Based on dialog I had with Joe Bloggs in the R6 Pro thread the dual DAC implementation for both the R6 and R6 Pro has both DAC's generating both L & R analog signals. Only the balanced output combines the outputs from both DAC's to effectively double the signal whereas the single ended and line outputs use only one of the DAC's. There are other devices which do employ a dual mono architecture where each channel is processed by each DAC separately (iBasso DX90 was this way with no balanced output). In the R6 Pro thread I asked multiple times if there were specifics advantages to each system design configuration but there was no constructive feedback on that. Maybe because there is no significant difference but just 2 ways of achieving the same end result.

If anyone else has thoughts on this please do share.

Cheers,
Tim

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #5,468 of 6,622
Feb 5, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #5,469 of 6,622
Based on dialog I had with Joe Bloggs in the R6 Pro thread the dual DAC implementation for both the R6 and R6 Pro has both DAC's generating both L & R analog signals. Only the balanced output combines the outputs from both DAC's to effectively double the signal whereas the single ended and line outputs use only one of the DAC's. There are other devices which do employ a dual mono architecture where each channel is processed by each DAC separately (iBasso DX90 was this way with no balanced output). In the R6 Pro thread I asked multiple times if there were specifics advantages to each system design configuration but there was no constructive feedback on that. Maybe because there is no significant difference but just 2 ways of achieving the same end result.

If anyone else has thoughts on this please do share.

Cheers,
Tim
so, in theory R6 and R3 should sound the same in unbalanced output right?

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #5,470 of 6,622
@CobraMan

I don't know what you mean. But official R6 page clearly indicate ESS9028Q2M x2 one for each channel.
https://store.hiby.com/products/r6
Yes - I know that is what it states. However, Joe clarified when I was asking about the block diagram shown for the R6 Pro on their website which does not label L/R channels from each DAC and therefore was ambiguous on how exactly single ended/line outputs only use one DAC while the balanced uses both DAC's if this is indeed a dual mono configuration. Take a look at the block diagram shown for the R6 Pro and the discussion in the R6 Pro thread and let me know what you think.

Ocelot 80 - that is most likely a valid conclusion barring any other circuitry/amplifier differences between the 2 devices.

Cheers,
Tim

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #5,471 of 6,622
Question for anyone using Tidal offline tracks. Did you do the Oreo update? Did you have to redownload all of your Tidal offline tracks on your sd card?
Has anyone successfully reinstalled tidal and been able to keep their Tidal offline download tracks on the sd card and carry them over to the new installation?

Any help is appreciated.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #5,472 of 6,622
I was asking about the block diagram shown for the R6 Pro on their website which does not label L/R channels from each DAC and therefore was ambiguous on how exactly single ended/line outputs only use one DAC while the balanced uses both DAC's if this is indeed a dual mono configuration. Take a look at the block diagram shown for the R6 Pro and the discussion in the R6 Pro thread and let me know what you think.

Ocelot 80 - that is most likely a valid conclusion barring any other circuitry/amplifier differences between the 2 devices.

Cheers,
Tim

Could you link to diagram pls.
Can't see it

here again.. one per channel

hib6.png

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #5,474 of 6,622
Question for anyone using Tidal offline tracks. Did you do the Oreo update? Did you have to redownload all of your Tidal offline tracks on your sd card?
Has anyone successfully reinstalled tidal and been able to keep their Tidal offline download tracks on the sd card and carry them over to the new installation?

Any help is appreciated.

I had to re-download all my off-line tracks even though they were saved to sd card.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #5,475 of 6,622
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back