HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Aug 19, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #1,516 of 1,971
Had been contemplating the same two DAP's for the past week or so. Neither or them are available for listening in my area, otherwise that would've been the deciding factor. I was leaning towards the M11 Plus, simply because it ships overnight and comes with the longer EU warranty. What kept me from ordering is that the R6 2020 is quite a bit more appealing to me with its "normal" rotary and nicer software (based on my trying HiBy and Fiio Android apps).

After reading this thread and seeing I can have the R6 2020 for EUR 685 (vs 749) I ordered the HiBy today.
Share your impressions of it, after it reaches you.

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #1,517 of 1,971
Had been contemplating the same two DAP's for the past week or so. Neither or them are available for listening in my area, otherwise that would've been the deciding factor. I was leaning towards the M11 Plus, simply because it ships overnight and comes with the longer EU warranty. What kept me from ordering is that the R6 2020 is quite a bit more appealing to me with its "normal" rotary and nicer software (based on my trying HiBy and Fiio Android apps).

After reading this thread and seeing I can have the R6 2020 for EUR 685 (vs 749) I ordered the HiBy today.
Where did you get the HiBy for 685 euros? Here in Spain it is 849 euros!

Aug 21, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #1,518 of 1,971
I'm trying out the Apple Music Beta with hi-res lossless, seems to work well for 24/96 but any album that is available in 24/192 is only outputting at 24/96. I know it's a beta so don't expect it to work but hopefully, once out this can be fixed. Lossless and 24/96 is really nice to have though!

Screenshot_20210615-085953.png
Does the latest version of Apple Music work at maximum resolution in the R6 2020? And Amazon Music HD?

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,519 of 1,971
Does the latest version of Apple Music work at maximum resolution in the R6 2020? And Amazon Music HD?
Yes, I have tried it on the latest Apple music and able to play lossless up to 24/192k. Edit: updated to latest system software and it is also able to output digitally bitperfect into dac on streaming App, including Apple Music 😊

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,520 of 1,971
Hey, I've been looking at this DAP! I've got an R5 right now which I quite like, but one of my huge pet peeves is that the tactile buttons suck. They feel very squishy and are not responsive unless you hold them down. How is the new R6 in this regard?

Aug 22, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #1,521 of 1,971
For me this is the worst DAP I've ever owned. If I could return it I would! Bluetooth connection is abysmal! Was going to use it to-and-from work, but it will be chucked in a drawer. Also, support is bad, they told me to keep it backside-out as that is where BT antennas are. This makes absolutely no difference. My Fiio m11 has none of these problems, safe to say this will be my first and last purchase of a Hiby product!

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,522 of 1,971
For me this is the worst DAP I've ever owned. If I could return it I would! Bluetooth connection is abysmal! Was going to use it to-and-from work, but it will be chucked in a drawer. Also, support is bad, they told me to keep it backside-out as that is where BT antennas are. This makes absolutely no difference. My Fiio m11 has none of these problems, safe to say this will be my first and last purchase of a Hiby product!

Tbh, if BT performance is the deciding factor and the most important feature at the top of your list, why buy a pricey dap that focuses on processor speed and OS optimization and powerful analog output and line out and mqa 16x decoding, and so on? You don't need any of that for Bluetooth, might as well stick with a smartphone or some cheap budget dap with Bluetooth (Hiby R2 is under $100 and feature-packed and even has built in tidal and qobuz streaming app). Especially if you are using tws earphones, daps are not optimized for those. Just my 2cents.

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #1,523 of 1,971
Tbh, if BT performance is the deciding factor and the most important feature at the top of your list, why buy a pricey dap that focuses on processor speed and OS optimization and powerful analog output and line out and mqa 16x decoding, and so on? You don't need any of that for Bluetooth, might as well stick with a smartphone or some cheap budget dap with Bluetooth (Hiby R2 is under $100 and feature-packed and even has built in tidal and qobuz streaming app). Especially if you are using tws earphones, daps are not optimized for those. Just my 2cents.

I have to agree. FYI, if you really need a DAP with excellent BT/wifi performance, the Sony A100 and ZX500 series are probably the best performers. I have a R6 2020 myself but I have never even used the BT as that's not what I bought it for. Thankfully the wifi seems to work well for streaming.

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #1,524 of 1,971
Better save money and buy a Qudelix 5K like me. Best BT coverage LDAC DAC amp USB dongle in the market for less than 100 bucks! 50 m without losing BT max quality LDAC streaming! I will buy the HiBy R6 for wired connection...FiiO M11 Plus has a lot of bugs in SoC music streaming apps (Apple Music, Amazon Music, UAPP etc. not working in full resolution)

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #1,525 of 1,971
How does everyone feel about the battery life on this thing?

I have an R6 Pro that I love, but I hit the 2 year mark of ownership a few weeks ago, and almost like it was on some kind of timer, the battery life became terrible overnight.

Since the R6 2020 isn't 2 years old yet, I guess the same thing could happen to it next year and nobody would know yet.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #1,526 of 1,971
Is the MQA files 'pop' sound and noise solved with the last firmware 1.94G?

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,527 of 1,971
Where did you get the HiBy for 685 euros? Here in Spain it is 849 euros!
HiFiGo. They offer multiple shipping options, one of which includes all necessary taxes for EU. (Somehow this does not cost the buyer anything extra. I trust that they know their stuff.)
Share your impressions of it, after it reaches you.
Received it today - quicker than expected. First impressions:

The unboxing was a bit of a letdown. First the entire back-plate came off when I removed the player from the (very snug) foam tray. I guess it's good to know the battery is easy to reach, but I wasn't quite expecting that. Adhesive on the back-plate seemed fine, so I placed it back on and it hasn't come off (or moved) since.

Second letdown - though my own doing - was the pre-applied screen protector. It's one of those two-layer protectors where you pull off the top layer after application. Unfortunately, in my case, this pulled off the entire thing. Will be more careful next time. (There's another protector in the box.)

Beyond that the player has a very nice an premium feel to it. Size is perfect for single-handed operation without compromising on screen real-estate too much.

Comparing to my Sony NW-A105 with DT770 PRO (250) and MDR-1AM2. Disclaimer: I'm not an audiophile by any means. I just really enjoy the light-weight MDR while working and the DT770 for more focused listening.

The most notable difference, especially with the DT770, is the crispness of the HiBy. I'm not sure what the correct articulation is, but it sounds just a tad more "Hi-Fi", bringing you closer to a stage performance feel without having to resort to louder volumes or EQ.

That said, I never disliked the Sony sound and both players let you tweak things to your liking. Primary reasons for switching away from the Sony are its small screen (fine for the built-in Sony player, but unwieldy when using Apple Music or other apps) and lack of volume rotary. (It has 7 little buttons in a row and I too often press wrong when operating it blindly.)

Some other observations:

Android performance is comparable to a low/mid-range phone. Noticeably slower than a flagship, but not annoyingly so. Unless you want to use a ton of non-music apps like you may do on your phone, the performance is absolutely fine.

The LED can get pretty bright in dark environments, but can be turned off.

USB debugging was enabled by default and could only be switched off after enabling Developer Mode.

Audio rate is shown for all apps. The Sony wouldn't, but the HiBy will show me when I hit that (still quite rare) 192K track on Apple Music.

Power usage seems to be very close to what my PC is feeding it, with the battery indicator going both up and down while I'm using it. Will have to try a proper brick.

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #1,528 of 1,971
I am testing the R6 2020 and I get a background "static" or electronic interference noise when I play music with different streaming apps and move the cable of 2 different IEMs using the 3.5 mm input (and a 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter)..I have noticed that what my mobile phone is near the HiBy the background noise is more frequent. Anyone has the same problem? Does.the 4.4 mm input have less background noise?

Sep 5, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #1,529 of 1,971
I am testing the R6 2020 and I get a background "static" or electronic interference noise when I play music with different streaming apps and move the cable of 2 different IEMs using the 3.5 mm input (and a 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter)..I have noticed that what my mobile phone is near the HiBy the background noise is more frequent. Anyone has the same problem? Does.the 4.4 mm input have less background noise?
I’ve had the same issue but cannot pin it down to any specific thing. I agree that it’s more noticeable when phone is nearby .Was going to check if it’s as a result of differ bit rates of each track on the streaming app as the noise is noticeable between tracks. It has then same sound as a doggy earphone cable which is what I thought it was at the beginning ( but it’s not )

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #1,530 of 1,971
I’ve had the same issue but cannot pin it down to any specific thing. I agree that it’s more noticeable when phone is nearby .Was going to check if it’s as a result of differ bit rates of each track on the streaming app as the noise is noticeable between tracks. It has then same sound as a doggy earphone cable which is what I thought it was at the beginning ( but it’s not )
It seems that the noise is caused by interference between the HiBy and my phone (with NFC or Bluetooth). Bad circuitry shielding against electronic interferencesm. Noise disappears when I put my phone 1 or 2 m away from the R6, especially with NFC on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back