HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Feb 15, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #961 of 1,971
I think I'm staying single ended for now and liking the Corrected Minimum Phase Fast Roll-off filter on this player now that it has some hours on it. I'll need to compare again later with more cuts. Still al;so like Min phase slow but it is a bit softer. I'll revisit players as well but I think both Hiby and UAPP are good but different.

I prefer the pace and edges of single ended to the rounded smoothness of balanced here though both are good and results can always vary by associations. Can't speak to noise floor differences because it doesn't come up with the less efficient iems I prefer here.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #962 of 1,971
Just wanted to comment about how much I love the R6 2020 so far. it has been great with all my IEM's and Cans.
I am actually planning to buy a LessFox BX-2 plus to pair with it for my more power hungry cans, that being said the R6 2020 does awesome with my Denon D7200 and LCD-XC already, but the thread on the BX-2 implies that it really takes DAP's up a notch when paired with them, so my Ifi Micro IDSD Signature is up for sale to fund the purchase of a BX-2 Plus.

Would you happen to have done DAC line out comparisons between the R6 2020 and the iDSD? How about with IEMs? :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #964 of 1,971
Would you happen to have done DAC line out comparisons between the R6 2020 and the iDSD? How about with IEMs? :)

Sorry I have not used the DAC lineout of the IDSD at all, only headphone out. I did listen with IEM's but honestly not for any extended period and did not have time to do any critical comparisons between it and the R6.
unfortunately the IDSD does not have any analogue inputs so I couldn't connect the the lineout from the R6 to the IDSD.
I have used the Idsd hooked up to the R6 via USB OTG though. Honestly it didn't sound much better than the R6 with my D7200 and LCD-XC.
The IDSD really didn't get much use at all from me so that's why I'm selling it, want to try out the BX2+ instead.

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #965 of 1,971
Sorry I have not used the DAC lineout of the IDSD at all, only headphone out. I did listen with IEM's but honestly not for any extended period and did not have time to do any critical comparisons between it and the R6.
unfortunately the IDSD does not have any analogue inputs so I couldn't connect the the lineout from the R6 to the IDSD.
I have used the Idsd hooked up to the R6 via USB OTG though. Honestly it didn't sound much better than the R6 with my D7200 and LCD-XC.
The IDSD really didn't get much use at all from me so that's why I'm selling it, want to try out the BX2+ instead.
The BX2+ does look really sweet. The BX1 looks pretty nice too. Curious who you intend to purchase it from. I'm interested too but I live in the US and it doesn't seem anyone sells it over here but I could be wrong

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #966 of 1,971
Feb 16, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #967 of 1,971
Have received my R6 2020 - very first impressions - it’s fast, it’s really responsive. Definitely not the sluggish experience I once had with an older Android DAP. Haven’t gotten the chance to use the balanced 4.4mm output, but the 3.5mm SE sounds great driving my Denon over-ears (which are admittedly not very power hungry).
Using Amazon Music as my main source and therefore will be waiting for a fix, since it seems that the app doesn’t recognize that Hiby can do more than 48khz.
The whole process and impressions of buying it from Musicteck were exceptional, which adds to the positive experience. 😃👍

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #969 of 1,971
Have received my R6 2020 - very first impressions - it’s fast, it’s really responsive. Definitely not the sluggish experience I once had with an older Android DAP. Haven’t gotten the chance to use the balanced 4.4mm output, but the 3.5mm SE sounds great driving my Denon over-ears (which are admittedly not very power hungry).
Using Amazon Music as my main source and therefore will be waiting for a fix, since it seems that the app doesn’t recognize that Hiby can do more than 48khz.
The whole process and impressions of buying it from Musicteck were exceptional, which adds to the positive experience. 😃👍
Have you updated to the latest firmware (may require several updates) and app version?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #970 of 1,971
I think I'm sticking with the Min phase slow roll filter(most natural) and UAPP player with integer upsampling, single ended. I personally feel the Corrected Minimum Phase Fast Roll is next best or if I just want sharper edges or more perceived delineation.
can you really tell the difference? i've tried different ones and honesty i cant lol

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #971 of 1,971
can you really tell the difference? i've tried different ones and honesty i cant lol
Sure but I only use wav files etc. It's certainly subtle but consistent. I really like the perspective and openness of the Min phase slow roll. It's not as crisp around the edges but nothing's missing and most open. Corrected Minimum Phase Fast Roll is what I'd use if I wanted to snap things up a bit. I sometimes post too soon after a quick listen and getting a result I wanted without letting all the other aspects settle in. Next listen always puts my thought in order. The best filters are usually custom passive multi pole setups not available in DAPs.

I currently opt to the Moondrop S8 with an 8 core silver litz cable and Grado/Ortofon smallish medium tips for deepest full insertion. Have the same cable in balanced and single ended. Cable/tips/insertion balances them well and I'm a fan of their phase character with a good amount of information. Got them on a whim and found them worth the effort. :ksc75smile: Not really into megabuck portable things anymore. I've had an LPG, jh13FP, PP8 etc. LPG was just too big and heavy for my use and the others were not better than the S8 depending on your preference but I like things relatively neutral sounding.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #972 of 1,971
Have you updated to the latest firmware (may require several updates) and app version?

Hi there! Yes, have updated Amazon Music HD to the latest version available on Google Play, and currently have the 1.10G_20201208-1431 build/firmware on the R6 2020 (refreshing and tried to update several times during the day by clicking “check version” - says “current version is the latest version”).

The issue remains - when playing a 192Khz track in Amazon Music HD, it says:
Track quality: 24 bit / 192 Khz
Device capability: 24 bit / 48 Khz
Currently playing at: 24 bit / 48 Khz (matches the “48K” icon on the player in top right corner).

Is there a new firmware available, or is there anyone for whom Amazon Music HD is working properly?

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #973 of 1,971
Hi there! Yes, have updated Amazon Music HD to the latest version available on Google Play, and currently have the 1.10G_20201208-1431 build/firmware on the R6 2020 (refreshing and tried to update several times during the day by clicking “check version” - says “current version is the latest version”).

The issue remains - when playing a 192Khz track in Amazon Music HD, it says:
Track quality: 24 bit / 192 Khz
Device capability: 24 bit / 48 Khz
Currently playing at: 24 bit / 48 Khz (matches the “48K” icon on the player in top right corner).

Is there a new firmware available, or is there anyone for whom Amazon Music HD is working properly?

Same for me. Amazon HD has never worked above 24/48 on this device. I have mentioned this a few times in this thread, but there has been no official reply or status update. Every time I get an Amazon app update, I try it again but no luck so far, including today.

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #974 of 1,971
Just got mine from Musicteck (great service and highly recommended dealing with them).
Would appreciate opinions on pairing it with either Dunu Dk-3001-pro or SA6. My current Iem is a 1More triple, that was being used with a Cowan s9 (yes Im old).

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #975 of 1,971
I certainly hope the Amazon HD 48khz limit issue can be resolved. Amazon HD works fine on the R5; but the process of actually using Amazon HD is a bit sluggish on that device. I am hoping for a moderately priced unit that is snappy with Amazon HD. I know Amazon can work OK; it is quite snappy on my latest generation iphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back