HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #1,141 of 1,971
I'll play around with the settings tonight and see if I can move all the sliders into an agreeable position.
I've already tuned the LCD-2s on my ADI-2 so I'll try to use that as a reference point.

If anyone has any further suggestions, I am all ears.
Also, for S+G I've discovered that this thing plays Android Games really well -not that I need the distraction.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,142 of 1,971
I'm getting a consistent music database sorting bug in the Hiby app. In the files metadata, I named the Album Artist of all of the tracks of one certain compilation album as "Various Artists" but the Hiby app refuses to show the artists of the tracks in this one album as such and instead uses the info from Artist. It's so annoying.. funny thing is that the album is part of a multi CD compilation and none of the other CDs have this problem - the Album Artist shows up as "Various Artists" in each one except for this one..

Tried deleting and recopying the music to the Hiby, tried overwriting the Album Artist info in the files metadata, tried clearing Hiby app's data and cache, tried restarting.. it's still screwed.. Any ideas? The same album is working properly and showing correct metadata info in UAPP

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #1,143 of 1,971
My 4.4mm cable just arrived and now I'm eager to EQ my Audeze LCD-2 headphones.

I've not played around much with the MSEB but the sliders seem sort of arbitrary and less precise than a traditional EQ -as if each slider is doing more than just one thing behind the scenes. This is my first DAP let alone my first HiBy, so I'm not entirely familiar with how 3rd party apps like UAPP would work to EQ apps like Qobuz/Tidal.

What is the best way to EQ headsets on this beast?
Anyone have any suggestions on where to start?
Is there a way to save presets or does it remember the preset depending on the plug being used? If possible, I would like one for over ears and one for IEMs.

Thanks all.
For what's it's worth, my favorite EQ method for precise headphone correction has always been to run any number of parametric bands (even multiple passes with same / different programs are possible) over a K-delta impulse and save the result as a wav file for a convolver *such as the one available on all R android players with recent firmwares*. The MSEB then has all the flexibility you need for taste EQing for individual music tracks and is indeed the better tool for the job than any parametric EQ. And yes they can be used in conjunction.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #1,144 of 1,971
I'm getting a consistent music database sorting bug in the Hiby app. In the files metadata, I named the Album Artist of all of the tracks of one certain compilation album as "Various Artists" but the Hiby app refuses to show the artists of the tracks in this one album as such and instead uses the info from Artist. It's so annoying.. funny thing is that the album is part of a multi CD compilation and none of the other CDs have this problem - the Album Artist shows up as "Various Artists" in each one except for this one..

Tried deleting and recopying the music to the Hiby, tried overwriting the Album Artist info in the files metadata, tried clearing Hiby app's data and cache, tried restarting.. it's still screwed.. Any ideas? The same album is working properly and showing correct metadata info in UAPP
I'm sorry but I can't follow what you're saying in the bolded part. See especially the bold italics.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #1,145 of 1,971
My R6 2020 arrived today from Musicteck. Super fast arrival. Thanks Andrew!

From reading the forums, I bought UAPP and now have a subscription to Qobuz (I'd never heard of either 2 week's ago). I'm using a pair of AKG K553 Pro. I let the player run and charge while I was at work.

This thing is AWESOME!!! I'm still doing research to figure out what set of headphones I'm going to purchase. I have a set of Fiio fd5 that I haven't listened to on it.

Thanks for all the info on this forum. I still need to buy an SD card. Any recommendations?

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #1,146 of 1,971
My R6 2020 arrived today from Musicteck. Super fast arrival. Thanks Andrew!

Thanks for all the info on this forum. I still need to buy an SD card. Any recommendations?
I bought my R6 2020 thru Andrew as well. Great service. Congrats on your new DAP, it truly is a great player for the price.

For SDs I usually go SanDisk, Samsung, or Lexar. Normally they don't needed to be reformatted. Just beware of counterfeit Samsung cards. I normally buy thru Amazon and once I received Samsung from 3rd party seller and it turned out to be a fake and had lots of read/write issues. Amazon exchanged no problem but now I only buy if sold & shipped by Amazon, not a 3D party. Or buy in a local store for peace of mind.

Enjoy!

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #1,147 of 1,971
For what's it's worth, my favorite EQ method for precise headphone correction has always been to run any number of parametric bands (even multiple passes with same / different programs are possible) over a K-delta impulse and save the result as a wav file for a convolver *such as the one available on all R android players with recent firmwares*. The MSEB then has all the flexibility you need for taste EQing for individual music tracks and is indeed the better tool for the job than any parametric EQ. And yes they can be used in conjunction.

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a guide somewhere for making the wav file the way you describe? I was lost at “K-delta” impulse and would very much like to learn more about this method.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #1,148 of 1,971
Excuse my ignorance, but is there a guide somewhere for making the wav file the way you describe? I was lost at “K-delta” impulse and would very much like to learn more about this method.
This was described better in my original introductory post in the R5 thread:
Finally, it is even possible to use this to apply any manner of parametric EQ or other effects to your R player, by simply first applying those effects to this base file
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEgfYLzA64ieH1dAeGPw?e=I1sCll

e.g. in foobar by putting this file into the playlist then Converting it into a new file with a parametric EQ DSP in the DSP chain

then putting the resultant file in your R player and loading it in the convolver module.

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #1,149 of 1,971
The R6 2020 is already compatible with Roon by simply going to the Google play store and downloading the Roon Remote app. Same as you would with any android player. Install the app and you can access your Roon core no problem.

The only drawback with the R6 and Roon is that Roon downsamples everything to 24 bit 44.1 kHz, due to the whole android internal mixer issue. Now I know that the R6 bypasses that problem (which is one of it’s best features), but Roon simply sees an android device and automatically downsamples the stream. This is the only negative I have really found with my R6, but it has nothing to do with the R6 itself. If you’re like me and want Roon to solve this problem let them know!

The short answer is you can absolutely use Roon with the R6.
Roon has all the knowledge to fix those issues, but I guess they would rather force the manufacturers to have the "Roon Ready" certificate and cash money from them, than provide all the bells and whistles of their software with a simple Android application. That is what has happened with A&K - I might of course be wrong.

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #1,150 of 1,971

Try to edit the ID3 Tags (a.k.a. Metadata) as follows:
Fill the following fields with the same name (as the name of the artist)
- Artist
- Album artist
- Performer

When you ready, use “Reset database” on your DAP and “Search for all tracks”. Maybe it’ll help.
Many DAPs use the so called “Incremental database”. That is why you need “Reset database” first.

Edit: or write the name of the artists into the file names...

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,151 of 1,971
Roon has all the knowledge to fix those issues, but I guess they would rather force the manufacturers to have the "Roon Ready" certificate and cash money from them, than provide all the bells and whistles of their software with a simple Android application. That is what has happened with A&K - I might of course be wrong.
Hmmm... you may be right, but I don’t know. Roon isn’t a big enough player to force big manufacturers to do anything. I think if Roon’s subscriber base demanded it they would do it. iOS devices work just fine so why not android?

I know nothing about the A&K situation so maybe there is something there that I’m just unaware of...

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #1,152 of 1,971
I'm sorry but I can't follow what you're saying in the bolded part. See especially the bold italics.
Sorry, there was indeed an error. Corrected: In the files metadata, I named the Album Artist of all of the tracks of one certain compilation album as "Various Artists" but the Hiby app refuses to show the Album artists of the tracks in this one album as such and instead uses the info from Artist.

Try to edit the ID3 Tags (a.k.a. Metadata) as follows:
Fill the following fields with the same name (as the name of the artist)
- Artist
- Album artist
- Performer

When you ready, use “Reset database” on your DAP and “Search for all tracks”. Maybe it’ll help.
Many DAPs use the so called “Incremental database”. That is why you need “Reset database” first.

Edit: or write the name of the artists into the file names...
Thanks for your suggestions. I delved a little deeper into the metadata of the files and discovered that there were two Tags for Album Artist buried into the files (the other one was spelled as "Albumartist"). One of these had the Artist name instead of the Various Artists I had edited in. So I deleted the extra tags and it's fixed! =)
SO Hiby Music must've used one of these tags for the info, while UAPP used the other one.. peculiar

In short: SOLVED

A few suggestions: Imo the Hiby Music app could use a reset/clear database function. Also, the Music scan function could have an option to add music to the existing database, instead of replacing the whole database with the contents of the last scanned folder(s) - for larger collections it's a bit gruelling to have to rescan thousands of tracks every time you want to add an album.
Or if these functions already exist but I'm too dumb to see them, please school me :p

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #1,153 of 1,971
Hmmm... you may be right, but I don’t know. Roon isn’t a big enough player to force big manufacturers to do anything. I think if Roon’s subscriber base demanded it they would do it. iOS devices work just fine so why not android?

I know nothing about the A&K situation so maybe there is something there that I’m just unaware of...

To me the somewhat odd thing is that the A&K players that are now certified "Roon Ready" endpoints did not simply modify the Roon Remote app to bypass the Android mixer. They are set up more like a wireless DAC/DAP/Speaker or UPnP renderer. The library browsing, etc still have to be done from another device.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,155 of 1,971
How do I know if I have the latest firmware? If not, how do I update?

Swipe down notification bar (twice), go to Android Setting (gear icon like in any android phone), scroll down to System -> System Update and click on Check version. If update required, it will be downloaded and installed automatically. Of course, wifi has to be on :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back