HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Aug 27, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #751 of 1,092
how big of a difference in terms of both sound quality and loudness is there from se to bal. the output numbers are pretty large but i am wondering how much that translates when listening. thanks.

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #752 of 1,092
how big of a difference in terms of both sound quality and loudness is there from se to bal. the output numbers are pretty large but i am wondering how much that translates when listening. thanks.
From what I understand, it depends much on what you're driving, I.e.: the iem or headphone that you're using. The power draw is dependent on that. That said my experience with HD650 iirc is that the difference is not huge. Not more than 10/100 volume adjustments required to normalize

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #753 of 1,092
Mine arrived yesterday, and so far I’m pretty impressed. Have a few observations/questions though. Apologies if any of this has already been covered elsewhere; I’ve only yet made a small dent in reading this thread!

This thing gets really hot! When I first booted it up and started installing streaming apps and offlining albums (over wifi) it heated up to the point it was a bit uncomfortable to hold. The strange thing is that after the initial setup I continued to spend about 3 hours continually downloading content to Tidal and Qobuz, but after about the first hour or so the player cooled down to a normal temperature. The unit was not playing audio during this time so I doubt it’s the typical Class A “hotplate” effect. Does this seem normal?

Also, does anyone know of a way to efficiently offline/download a large Tidal library besides clicking “download” on individual albums and playlists? My entire library will easily fit on my 512gb SD card. It would be nice if I could just hit one button to offline everything and let it run overnight. It’s inefficient and annoying to have to click download on everything that’s already been added to my library prior. And if there’s any way to speed up Tidal and/or Qobuz offlining process I’m all ears. Maybe by hard wiring to a computer or via a usb to ethernet adapter?

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #754 of 1,092
This thing gets really hot! When I first booted it up and started installing streaming apps and offlining albums (over wifi) it heated up to the point it was a bit uncomfortable to hold. The strange thing is that after the initial setup I continued to spend about 3 hours continually downloading content to Tidal and Qobuz, but after about the first hour or so the player cooled down to a normal temperature. The unit was not playing audio during this time so I doubt it’s the typical Class A “hotplate” effect. Does this seem normal?
Have you updated your firmware yet?

Aug 31, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #755 of 1,092
Have you updated your firmware yet?
Yep, that's the first thing I did. Fully up to date. But come to think of it, it seems to be running cooler since the initial phase of installing/downloading/updating. So maybe one of the latter updates fixed the heat issue. Going to try to batch download a bunch of files now and see how it does.

Aug 31, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #756 of 1,092
Mentioning firmware just because personally I thought the latest update seems to not activate the Class-A amp when not in use. Previously leaving that turned on while on standby drains much battery.

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #757 of 1,092
I am going to jump on this thread and speak my mind about owning this.
Bought this thing off the official Aliexpress store back in May, arrived June. I love the player, sounds great and pairs well with anything I throw at it. My main problem is the lack of software updates that could fix like DT2W, more granular volume control if wanted, and a full OS upgrade. There are playeres out there right now that are coming with android 10. I am unable to run some apps, Wavelet being one of them all because of Android 8. Using the player has been amazing, it is fast enough for my usage and haven't had any real bugs in the OS. I do think that with all the players coming out, Fiio M11S comes to mind, estimated to cost 500$, a better cpu, and android 10, would be great to see a newer software. I hope others agree with me on this one, as for long term use, it would hinder app downloading because android 13 is already out.

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #758 of 1,092
I am going to jump on this thread and speak my mind about owning this.
Bought this thing off the official Aliexpress store back in May, arrived June. I love the player, sounds great and pairs well with anything I throw at it. My main problem is the lack of software updates that could fix like DT2W, more granular volume control if wanted, and a full OS upgrade. There are playeres out there right now that are coming with android 10. I am unable to run some apps, Wavelet being one of them all because of Android 8. Using the player has been amazing, it is fast enough for my usage and haven't had any real bugs in the OS. I do think that with all the players coming out, Fiio M11S comes to mind, estimated to cost 500$, a better cpu, and android 10, would be great to see a newer software. I hope others agree with me on this one, as for long term use, it would hinder app downloading because android 13 is already out.
You knew it was Android 8 before you bought it which is less demanding on CPU/RAM to keep the price low, and at £320 I paid is a bargain IMO.

In contrast, my Andorind 11 DAP, the Sony WM1AM2 rrp is £1,399 and other Android 11 DAP's at least double the price of the Hiby.

In other words, you got what you paid for 🙂

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #759 of 1,092
You knew it was Android 8 before you bought it which is less demanding on CPU/RAM to keep the price low, and at £320 I paid is a bargain IMO.

In contrast, my Andorind 11 DAP, the Sony WM1AM2 rrp is £1,399 and other Android 11 DAP's at least double the price of the Hiby.

In other words, you got what you paid for 🙂
Fiio m11s, android 10 and cost 50$ more...it cost 450$ usd for the player. Being able to spend 50$ more just for a more modern OS now is going to make this less relevant.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #761 of 1,092
You cant forget the iBasso DX170...a 469$ usd device with android 11 built in....
Wasn't out when I bought the Hiby but yes, that looks a great devise, but won't have a 30+ hour battery or option to use of a Class A amp.

States upto 11hrs playtime only. Plus no 2.5mm ( I like Hiby has all 3 ports).

Suppose it depends on whats priority for the money. For Hiby I wanted its long battery life in Eco mode for a Android device that can support streaming services.
If iBasso is only 11hrs max its not going to be great streaming.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #762 of 1,092
Wasn't out when I bought the Hiby but yes, that looks a great devise, but won't have a 30+ hour battery or option to use of a Class A amp.

States upto 11hrs playtime only. Plus no 2.5mm ( I like Hiby has all 3 ports).

Suppose it depends on whats priority for the money. For Hiby I wanted its long battery life in Eco mode for a Android device that can support streaming services.
If iBasso is only 11hrs max its not going to be great streaming.
At this point, If hiby wants to have their device stay relevant they might wanna give an Android update.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #763 of 1,092
there was also something in the beginning and I was going crazy about it on a discord server, about how the device was going to be coming with android 9. Then, all of a sudden I went to check out once it came out, and it showed that it was only android 8.1, so I went to check the one review that was out and it confirmed.

Sep 9, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #764 of 1,092
some more pics
Hey @wmischke it looks like you're using the Nugs.net app on your R5II? I've been unable to get it working on mine, can't get past the login screen. Any advice?

Seems like it might be an issue with nugs.net not playing nice with the default Via browser, which it seems to launch for account authentication. Try as I might, I haven't been able to force it to use chrome instead.

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #765 of 1,092
Hey @wmischke it looks like you're using the Nugs.net app on your R5II? I've been unable to get it working on mine, can't get past the login screen. Any advice?

Seems like it might be an issue with nugs.net not playing nice with the default Via browser, which it seems to launch for account authentication. Try as I might, I haven't been able to force it to use chrome instead.
Hey there. Interesting. I definitely used the nugs.net app on my R5II, along with every other android DAP that I've owned, without any significant issues that I can recall. I probably won't be much help since I no longer own the R5II. But I can say that I typically always have uninstalled the Via browser and installed Microsoft Edge instead. Maybe try completely disabling the Via browser. I'm sure there is someone else here who is much better suited to answer this question. But I can confirm that nugs.net did work fine for me (including MQA) on the Hiby R5 gen 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back