HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Aug 14, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #736 of 1,076
"HiBy R5 Gen 2 firmware update 1.03G is released today!
Changelog:
1. Added "double tap to wake" function and on-off toggle (system settings-system-gesture);
2. Fixed issues of standby current."
Seems like this update kinda alleviates the battery drain when "Class-A" amp is left on while on standby. Been a few weeks where there isn't a significant difference to standby battery drain whether Class A was turned on or not.

Very much appreciate it!

Aug 17, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #737 of 1,076
"HiBy R5 gen 2 firmware update 2.02G is released today!
Changelog:
1. Fixed issues of standby current;
2. Fixed issue where notification LED light may light up during standby mode when WiFi is connected."

EDIT: Hiby said this was a typo and the update is only for the R5 and the R5 Saber.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #738 of 1,076
Just got my R5 Gen 2 to have a more compact dap to compliment my DX300 and i must say i'm mighty impressed with its performance. It does play well with my EE Odin and EE Legend X. Very musical,

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #739 of 1,076
Just got my R5 Gen 2 to have a more compact dap to compliment my DX300 and i must say i'm mighty impressed with its performance. It does play well with my EE Odin and EE Legend X. Very musical,
My Hiby R5II compliments my recent WM1AM2. Does justice to all my IEM's including recent IER-M9. Don't really need two DAPs but its too good to let it go.

I'm even happy with it in eco mode so amazing battery life!

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #740 of 1,076
i was expecting greater power output with class a amplification. was comparing based on specs to the new shanling m6 ultra, which outputs a lot more, even though (i assume) no class a.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #741 of 1,076
i was expecting greater power output with class a amplification. was comparing based on specs to the new shanling m6 ultra, which outputs a lot more, even though (i assume) no class a.
Don't use Headphones only IEM's so power never really a consideration for me.

Most demading I have is only volume 45 on low gain.

Aug 22, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #742 of 1,076
Class A doesn't really do anything for output power. Its the way the circuit processes amplification, it offers higher fidelity at the sacrifice of power efficiency.

The output transistor is on all the time and it is very inefficient, usually anywhere from 25%-50% efficiency, meaning it only uses 25-50% of the power for amplification, the rest of the power is consumed but not used and is lost as heat.

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #743 of 1,076
Just have a quick question. Seen so many reviews, and can't decide, have hd650, what player would I be better buying, the Hiby r5 or DX170. Mostly use Poweramp as my player and I've seen so many things saying its not great on the R5. Opinions?

Aug 23, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #744 of 1,076
Just have a quick question. Seen so many reviews, and can't decide, have hd650, what player would I be better buying, the Hiby r5 or DX170. Mostly use Poweramp as my player and I've seen so many things saying its not great on the R5. Opinions?
I have poweramp, I tried it on the r5g2. Didn't seem like anything was wrong with it.

I prefer neutron player myself because its seems to be the only one that I can get dsd upsampling to work with the r5g2.

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #746 of 1,076
Hey guys! Here is my long overdue review of the R5 Gen 2. Have a read and let me know if you have any questions or would like more pair-ups with specific IEMs, headphones or comparisons with another DAP I've reviewed. Cheers!

HiBy R5 Gen 2

Hiby R5 Gen 2 Solo.jpeg

Aug 24, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #747 of 1,076
Hey guys! Here is my long overdue review of the R5 Gen 2. Have a read and let me know if you have any questions or would like more pair-ups with specific IEMs, headphones or comparisons with another DAP I've reviewed. Cheers!

Wow! 75/100 is loud? I have my R5II limited at 50/100 volume level as I don't even go to 40 while using my HD650. :D

@Cryanheh I believe this review might help? He also has the correct hardwares for your needs.

Aug 24, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #748 of 1,076
Wow! 75/100 is loud? I have my R5II limited at 50/100 volume level as I don't even go to 40 while using my HD650. :D

@Cryanheh I believe this review might help? He also has the correct hardwares for your needs.
Hey! 40/100 is loud for you with the HD650? Really? It actually depends on how loud the music you listen to is mastered and what app you use to listen to music. For example, Spotify with Volume Normalised outputs lower than Apple Music. But amongst my friends and industry colleagues, I listen to music at lower volumes relatively than they do, which is generally lower than the standard 80-85dBs we audio engineers generally like to monitor at (hint - Fletcher Munson curve theory). So, for me 45-55/100 on HD6XX is comfortable and past 70/100 is loud! I wouldn't call 40/100 loud on R5 Gen 2 + HD6XX with the kind of music I listen to.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #750 of 1,076
Hey! 40/100 is loud for you with the HD650? Really? It actually depends on how loud the music you listen to is mastered and what app you use to listen to music. For example, Spotify with Volume Normalised outputs lower than Apple Music. But amongst my friends and industry colleagues, I listen to music at lower volumes relatively than they do, which is generally lower than the standard 80-85dBs we audio engineers generally like to monitor at (hint - Fletcher Munson curve theory). So, for me 45-55/100 on HD6XX is comfortable and past 70/100 is loud! I wouldn't call 40/100 loud on R5 Gen 2 + HD6XX with the kind of music I listen to.
Ah! I should qualify: personally loud for continuous commute usage, I.e.: >30min or so.

On IEMs, my commute volume don't go over 30; typically 25, and 28 if it's exceptionally noisy outside.

The occupational health folks at my ex-workplace once had a booth to educate about NID. Had a set-up like them in-ear phones reviewers have. Roughly:

Step 1 listen own selected tracks using their in-ears on own device

Step 2 adjust volume to match own norms

Step 3 keep this configuration and place it on their test rig to note the SPL(dB)

Suffice to say: I shall continue to stick to my norms, as I recall it's on the 70dB range, and I'm usually have something stuck to my ears throughout the day. :D

Addendum: my daily playlist is indeed about 30-40% filled with mainstream pop, as seen on my signature. (Range depends on your region, inclination, etc. YMMV). And by default I'll turn off any normalizations on any app.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back