HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Sep 11, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #766 of 1,076
Hey there. Interesting. I definitely used the nugs.net app on my R5II, along with every other android DAP that I've owned, without any significant issues that I can recall. I probably won't be much help since I no longer own the R5II. But I can say that I typically always have uninstalled the Via browser and installed Microsoft Edge instead. Maybe try completely disabling the Via browser. I'm sure there is someone else here who is much better suited to answer this question. But I can confirm that nugs.net did work fine for me (including MQA) on the Hiby R5 gen 2.
Why did you sell your unit?

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #767 of 1,076
I probably won't be much help since I no longer own the R5II. But I can say that I typically always have uninstalled the Via browser and installed Microsoft Edge instead. Maybe try completely disabling the Via browser.
Dude, no you've been a massive help! Thanks so much for replying! I had been searching for a way to disable or uninstall Via, and force chrome usage. That didn't work, and also chrome did not play nicely with nugs.net either--even when trying to use the browser version. I spent over an hr trying to get this to work, but simply installing MS Edge seems to have disabled Via, and I was able to log in, and everything is working fine now!

For anyone who is running up against issues with Via, MS Edge seems like it might be a better solution than chrome in some cases.

Why did you sell your unit?
I'm curious as well, although if I know one thing about this hobby it's that there's always something better sounding or better featured out there.

Edit: spelling/grammar

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #768 of 1,076
Is anyone else experiencing unusably slow downloads with Tidal (or other streaming apps) on their R5II? As time goes on they are getting slower and slower for me.

Initially when I first got the device, tracks would download relatively quickly--only slightly slower than on my iPhone 12. Now downloads take about 3-4 minutes per track, which is unacceptably slow.

I have Tidal set to download to the SD card, which currently has over 300GB free. I'm getting 100+ Mbps down on my network both at home and at work, so it shouldn't be a storage or bandwidth issue. I emailed Tidal and they said the problem is not on their end, and I reached out to Hiby but they have not yet gotten back to me.

Sep 19, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #769 of 1,076
Is anyone else experiencing unusably slow downloads with Tidal (or other streaming apps) on their R5II? As time goes on they are getting slower and slower for me.

Initially when I first got the device, tracks would download relatively quickly--only slightly slower than on my iPhone 12. Now downloads take about 3-4 minutes per track, which is unacceptably slow.

I have Tidal set to download to the SD card, which currently has over 300GB free. I'm getting 100+ Mbps down on my network both at home and at work, so it shouldn't be a storage or bandwidth issue. I emailed Tidal and they said the problem is not on their end, and I reached out to Hiby but they have not yet gotten back to me.
Hi there,

What's the amount of tracks you have downloaded over time and the amount you are trying to download these days?

Joe
HiBy Music

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 19, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #770 of 1,076
Hi there,

What's the amount of tracks you have downloaded over time and the amount you are trying to download these days?

Joe
HiBy Music
Hi Joe. So I've only had the device for 2 weeks, and I'm still in the initial phase of loading it up with music in preparation for an upcoming trip. I'm not sure how many tracks I've downloaded in that period, but I'm guessing it's in the 1000-2000 range. A few times per week I'll sit down and browse a bunch of albums or playlists I want to offline. I'll mark say anywhere between 5 and 15 albums for download, and let it run all evening or overnight.

To date this has all been on Tidal. But interestingly, just this evening I installed the Qobuz app as well. I marked a few playlists to download, totaling about 200 songs. And now Qobuz seems to be following a similar pattern as tidal. The first few dozen tracks downloaded super quick. But it's getting progressively slower. Now each track takes about 3 min to download.

Edit/Update: Clearly there is something majorly wrong with this device. After my downloads have finished I set everything to offline mode, turn off wifi, reboot, open up Tidal. Tidal can't even play any of my downloaded songs. Click a song and it takes 4 minutes to start playing the song (I timed it). Once it starts "playing" it stutters so bad that it's literally unlistenable. Song will play for about 3 seconds, stop for a second, play another 3 seconds, stop for another second, repeat. Qobuz is better, takes 10 seconds to start playing the first downloaded song, but subsequent songs seem to buffer a little quicker. But some of my downloaded playlists are not recognized. They are listed under my Offline Library but when I click on them the playlist appears empty.

What a colossal waste of time and money this device has been. So far it's essentially useless for my intended use case of using it with offline streaming services.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #772 of 1,076
Hi Joe. So I've only had the device for 2 weeks, and I'm still in the initial phase of loading it up with music in preparation for an upcoming trip. I'm not sure how many tracks I've downloaded in that period, but I'm guessing it's in the 1000-2000 range. A few times per week I'll sit down and browse a bunch of albums or playlists I want to offline. I'll mark say anywhere between 5 and 15 albums for download, and let it run all evening or overnight.

To date this has all been on Tidal. But interestingly, just this evening I installed the Qobuz app as well. I marked a few playlists to download, totaling about 200 songs. And now Qobuz seems to be following a similar pattern as tidal. The first few dozen tracks downloaded super quick. But it's getting progressively slower. Now each track takes about 3 min to download.

Edit/Update: Clearly there is something majorly wrong with this device. After my downloads have finished I set everything to offline mode, turn off wifi, reboot, open up Tidal. Tidal can't even play any of my downloaded songs. Click a song and it takes 4 minutes to start playing the song (I timed it). Once it starts "playing" it stutters so bad that it's literally unlistenable. Song will play for about 3 seconds, stop for a second, play another 3 seconds, stop for another second, repeat. Qobuz is better, takes 10 seconds to start playing the first downloaded song, but subsequent songs seem to buffer a little quicker. But some of my downloaded playlists are not recognized. They are listed under my Offline Library but when I click on them the playlist appears empty.

What a colossal waste of time and money this device has been. So far it's essentially useless for my intended use case of using it with offline streaming services.
Hi,
Can I check that this is with the latest TIDAL version and the latest firmware? If you can provide a screenshot of both the player firmware version and the TIDAL app version that would be great.

Also can I confirm that you are in the US?

Cheers,
Joe

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 6, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #773 of 1,076
I've noticed that the dap exhibits some unusual behavior when power is completely drained.

When I charge from a dead battery, the battery percentage gets stuck on 1% regardless of how long its charged. I have to power on the dap for it to charge properly from this point.

On top of that I get some unusual errors like it will get stuck on the hiby logo and won't boot into android unless I press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Then on top of that sometimes I get this error message. Which to get out of this is to hold and press the power button for 30 seconds until it turns off, then I start the whole process again hoping it doesn't repeat the cycle.

I hope this is addressed in the next firmware update. This is getting quite annoying.

20221006_013840.JPG

Oct 6, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #774 of 1,076
I've noticed that the dap exhibits some unusual behavior when power is completely drained.

When I charge from a dead battery, the battery percentage gets stuck on 1% regardless of how long its charged. I have to power on the dap for it to charge properly from this point.

On top of that I get some unusual errors like it will get stuck on the hiby logo and won't boot into android unless I press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Then on top of that sometimes I get this error message. Which to get out of this is to hold and press the power button for 30 seconds until it turns off, then I start the whole process again hoping it doesn't repeat the cycle.

I hope this is addressed in the next firmware update. This is getting quite annoying.

I tend to turn mine off after use and even with plenty of battery I get above for no apparent reason and have to soft reboot by holding the buttons for 10s.

Must have happened about 8 times for me now and never let battery go anywhere near zero.

Think I get a message line in white at the top too.

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #775 of 1,076
I tend to turn mine off after use and even with plenty of battery I get above for no apparent reason and have to soft reboot by holding the buttons for 10s.

Must have happened about 8 times for me now and never let battery go anywhere near zero.

Think I get a message line in white at the top too.
I’ve had the same happen to me

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #777 of 1,076
I’m wondering about the LDAC support. I just bought a pair of Anker Q35’s. On my R3 I can select LDAC , aptx etc, but not on the R5. How do I know it’s using LDAC?
Need to activate the developer settings and change the option to ldac. May also need to do it in the app that you're using.

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #779 of 1,076

It seems an issue with the SD Card rather than the unit itself. Granted, it could be the SD card reader in the unit rather than the card itself.

Have you tried replacing that first?

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #780 of 1,076
"HiBy R5 gen 2 firmware update 2.02G is released today!
Changelog:
1. Fixed issues of standby current;
2. Fixed issue where notification LED light may light up during standby mode when WiFi is connected."

EDIT: Hiby said this was a typo and the update is only for the R5 and the R5 Saber.
Also just saw this, but my device is at R5IIInt_1.03G released on the 21th of July it seems.
Is 2.02G only for non-EU or something like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back