HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Oct 19, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #783 of 1,081
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a zip style small case for this? Something like one of those cheap hard drive cases on Amazon but is as close to form fitting as possible?

Oct 20, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #784 of 1,081
Hi, I’m currently using a Hiby R3 Pro Saber. I very much enjoy using the MSEB to tune the sound to suit my taste. Recently I have been thinking what should it be for my next step. With a limited budget, I find this R5 Gen 2 is a very attractive choice because of the MSEB, the Class A amp and of course the price. With almost the same price, the other choice I have in mind is a second hand WM1A (1st gen). Does anyone here have any experience comparing the two? Many thanks.

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #785 of 1,081
I have Hiby R5G2 and WM1AM2 and previously had the R3 Pro.

You will not be dissapointed with the R5G2. I'm listening with mine now with my Sony IER-M9's and superb.

The 1AM2 is as you would expect for the premium is better but I'd be happy if I only had the R5G2. And I'm not even using class A most of the time. Excellent battery life without class A too.

If you can get a used 1A for £400 thats a great price. Depends if you need streaming support like Tidal etc.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #786 of 1,081
I have Hiby R5G2 and WM1AM2 and previously had the R3 Pro.

You will not be dissapointed with the R5G2. I'm listening with mine now with my Sony IER-M9's and superb.

The 1AM2 is as you would expect for the premium is better but I'd be happy if I only had the R5G2. And I'm not even using class A most of the time. Excellent battery life without class A too.

If you can get a used 1A for £400 thats a great price. Depends if you need streaming support like Tidal etc.
Thanks Psikey, I don't need any streaming support. What's bothering me is choosing between a top notch from 2016 and a mid-level DAP but latest from Hiby. It's not easy. I tend to like Hiby more as their MSEB is very impressive, and it's cheaper too. However I'm not sure if it would be too foolish of me if I don't go for a used 1A given that the price is really a bargain.

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #788 of 1,081
Has anyone else been having issues with the pause button while using streaming apps?

I've noticed while using Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, and Spotify Lite.

Steps to reproduce
  1. Lock the screen while audio is playing
  2. Wait few minutes
  3. Pause using physical play/pause button
  4. Wait a few minutes
  5. Play using physical play/pause button
  6. Audio no longer plays from device until device is restarted. Progress bars in songs will start stop with the physical play/pause button.
I've tried factory reseting, changing the volume, unplug and replug headphones, changing amp and gain settings.

This issue does not appear to affect the Hiby music player.

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #789 of 1,081
Has anyone else been having issues with the pause button while using streaming apps?

Steps to reproduce
  2. Wait few minutes
  4. Wait a few minutes
  6. Audio no longer plays from device until device is restarted. Progress bars in songs will start stop with the physical play/pause button.
I've tried factory reseting, changing the volume, unplug and replug headphones, changing amp and gain settings.

Yeah I’ve had this issue with it on Apple Music for a while. I’ve just been using the onscreen buttons for less headache. It’s like the physical buttons go to sleep after the screens been off a while

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #790 of 1,081

Steps to reproduce
  2. Wait few minutes
  4. Wait a few minutes

This happens on every app that isn't hiby music for me too. A factory reset works for 5 mins. Hiby needs to update this

Nov 14, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #793 of 1,081
Anyone had any issues with Class A amplifier mode stopped working?
I pressed hardware pause button and I have no sound since then. I was thinking this is the issue people are talking about.
But restarting (then power cycle) didn't bring the sound back.
Then I realised it works if Class A amplifier mode is off.

Also I noticed in the past switching between "normal"mode and Class A was silent (rather small gap in playback).
Not there is a click in headphones when I toggle class A amplifier on and off.

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #795 of 1,081
I am contemplating buying Hiby R5G2 , Ibasso DX170 or Fiio M11s. All are mostly in a similar price bracket. Any suggestions on what to buy. I will be streaming 70% and rest local FLAC files. Will drive mainly iems with it. Music Genres are EDM, House, Classical, Pop and I am a Bass Lover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back