HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
May 10, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #376 of 1,076
Here is my humble review of the Hiby R5 Gen 2 :

Pros:
- Class A Amplifier in a Portable DAP
- Bit perfect and full body sound reproduction from the Class A Amp
- Wide variety of jacks and ports to connect
- Hi-Resolution Wireless audio output with LDAC
- Dual DAC chips product Clean, analytical and linear sound
- Little to no distortion sound reproduction

Cons :
- Android 8.1
- Small on-board storage space of 16GB
- Finicky volume buttons, i wished it was a knob
- low resolution screen (sorry i am too used to looking at mobile phone screens)
- Thick and bulky
- DAP gets quite warm when the Class A amp is running

Please watch my video review here :

When you describe the sound you mention that some may find this DAP too clinical and a little too dry. Dry is the exact word I thought of when trying to describe the R5G2's sound. I played around with the MSEB equalizer settings and they help, but that "dryness" never really goes away. I can fully appreciate that many people will love the sound of the R5G2, but I tend to like DAPs that lean into the round, full and lush side of neutral and not the brittle, edgy and clinical side. Maybe brittle and edgy is a little harsh but to me that's what the dryness in the R5G2's presentation sounds like. I wanted to love it, but for now I'll have to keep my N3Pro until I find a worthy replacement. I've put my R5G2 up for sale in the Head-Fi classifieds. If no one bites, I'll return it to Musicteck. It's a great little player--just doesn't suit my tastes exactly.

May 10, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #378 of 1,076
When you describe the sound you mention that some may find this DAP too clinical and a little too dry. Dry is the exact word I thought of when trying to describe the R5G2's sound. I played around with the MSEB equalizer settings and they help, but that "dryness" never really goes away. I can fully appreciate that many people will love the sound of the R5G2, but I tend to like DAPs that lean into the round, full and lush side of neutral and not the brittle, edgy and clinical side. Maybe brittle and edgy is a little harsh but to me that's what the dryness in the R5G2's presentation sounds like. I wanted to love it, but for now I'll have to keep my N3Pro until I find a worthy replacement. I've put my R5G2 up for sale in the Head-Fi classifieds. If no one bites, I'll return it to Musicteck. It's a great little player--just doesn't suit my tastes exactly.
Yup, i think dry and thin is about what i felt when listening to this and at the same time with the Class A amp on it sounds full with clinical delivery. It depends on your music library actually, you might like a more musical and warmer type of DAC. Your ears are the boss, so listen to your boss :)

May 10, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #379 of 1,076
Hmm, ok cool. oh and i find that the buttons are a bit stiff and i need to apply quite a bit of pressure for it to respond, but it maybe just me.
Or build variability? Buttons on mine (used through case) respond as expected each time.

I know many do like a volume wheel, but ever since having a Rio Carbon all those years ago and wheel sheared off I've avoided wheels so now prefer buttons.

Agree with other poster that the Hiby is neutral and can be dry which is why it will be the complement to a warm/lush Sony 1AM2 when I can import a Japanese one.

Of my 3 IEMs it sounds much nicer to me with the single Beryllium dynamic driver in the FD7 over the multi BA's in my K10U.

Saying that, not spent much time with class A yet as sticking with economy mode for long battery life for now.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #380 of 1,076
Been doing some back to back listening across a couple Tidal MQA tracks with the Hiby and an iPhone 13 mini with its rather good £10 3.5mm/lightning DAC thingy.

The iPhone with dongle is surprisingly good and really pristine (with sensitive IEMs) and during my listening I thought I could hear micro glitches with the Hiby, like ms hiccups that you think you imagined.

Well swapping between the two I think the Hiby is glitching with Tidal. To rule out external interference I downloaded Tidal tricks to Hiby & iPhone then turned WiFi/BT off on both and set to offline. Tried Hiby with ESS & class A amps.

Tried these two tracks to ensure not an issue with just the one track. Anybody else can detect ?

20220510_192338.jpg
20220510_192407.jpg

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #381 of 1,076
Been doing some back to back listening across a couple Tidal MQA tracks with the Hiby and an iPhone 13 mini with its rather good £10 3.5mm/lightning DAC thingy.

The iPhone with dongle is surprisingly good and really pristine (with sensitive IEMs) and during my listening I though I could hear micro glitches with the Hiby, like ms hiccups that you think you imagined.

Well swapping between the two I think the Hiby is glitching with Tidal. To rule out external interference I downloaded Tidal tricks to Hiby & iPhone then turned WiFi/BT off on both and set to offline. Tried Hiby with ESS & class A amps.

Tried these two tracks to ensure not an issue with just the one track. Anybody else can detect ?

Doing same tracks in UAPP and no hiccups... curious.

Not consistent in Tidal either as just had a listen through now and no glitch. Wonder if some background task was running bottlenecking CPU or something?

Maybe Tidal does its own 1st unfold MQA crunching (CPU) while UAPP just offloads to internal MQA rendering for all unfolds?

Music sounds fabulous on both devices to be honest with my easy to drive SE846's even though Apple dongle limited to 24/48.

Difference between ESS Amp and class A amp with my SE846 is negligible for my hearing. It is marginally fuller, warmer, smoother with class A but not sufficient difference to not use ESS integrated AMP and get the long battery life. I'd imagine difference is much more pronounced with headphones.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #383 of 1,076
I am and I receive a clearer and louder signal for the same volume setting. It’s more clinical but I don’t object to it. I’d rather hear all that is available than not with 3.5. There’s a distinct difference in MQA titles with a balanced cable. Again, I’m very satisfied with my purchase in 2.5 OR 3.5. There can be some ‘I love my new Corvette but it isn’t a Lamborghini’ syndrome here. I dig my Vette! Fwiw, it occasionally will have some initial cackle on certain Tidal tracks at the very beginning. But it’s 2 seconds worth at most before dissolving. It is every so often. If I end up with tech issues I go back through Musictek. If they can’t or won’t help I’m out $400 and I only buy Sony products or no DAPs in the future. Just portable dongle or Bluetooth DAC/amps.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #384 of 1,076
I’m really liking the R5g2. It’s a huge departure from what I’m used to. I’m a tube guy. If you’re into tubes you know what I mean. You love that rounded, warm, delicate sound, where tone means more then detail. That considered, I bought the R5g2 because I liked the specs. And it hasn’t been a disappointment. It is much more neutral/clinical then I’m used to, but definitely not dry sounding to me. It seems that people often think of clinical and dry as the same thing. I really enjoy it as a line out to my CDM in balanced mode. Even as a stand-alone DAP it sounds great!

There is definitely a big difference between class A, and economy. I would never use economy if I was in reach of a charger, but on the go, economy is still great. I listen mostly with my Westone W60, HD650 and Grado Hemp.

May 11, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #385 of 1,076
Doing same tracks in UAPP and no hiccups... curious.

Not consistent in Tidal either as just had a listen through now and no glitch. Wonder if some background task was running bottlenecking CPU or something?

Maybe Tidal does its own 1st unfold MQA crunching (CPU) while UAPP just offloads to internal MQA rendering for all unfolds?

Music sounds fabulous on both devices to be honest with my easy to drive SE846's even though Apple dongle limited to 24/48.

Difference between ESS Amp and class A amp with my SE846 is negligible for my hearing. It is marginally fuller, warmer, smoother with class A but not sufficient difference to not use ESS integrated AMP and get the long battery life. I'd imagine difference is much more pronounced with headphones.
What the sample rate indicator at the top showing when you think you hear these micro glitches?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 11, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #386 of 1,076
What the sample rate indicator at the top showing when you think you hear these micro glitches?

In Tidal via UAPP shows as 96K at top for both, It tidal app itself don't know as never shows it, but UAPP shows tracks as 96kHz 24bit 1658 and 48kHz 24bit 1876kbps

It was only in Tidal app itself, not streamed via UAPP

May 11, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #387 of 1,076
In Tidal via UAPP shows as 96K at top for both, It tidal app itself don't know as never shows it, but UAPP shows tracks as 96kHz 24bit 1658 and 48kHz 24bit 1876kbps

It was only in Tidal app itself, not streamed via UAPP
As opposed to 705.6 / 768kHz? 🤔

What are you listening with? Not wired earphones to the R5?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 11, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #388 of 1,076
As opposed to 705.6 / 768kHz? 🤔

What are you listening with? Not wired earphones to the R5?
Wired via 3.5mm in this testing.

I do find tracks sometimes show as 48/96/192 etc. But then sometimes at 768 type values. If I close UAPP and open again it can then jump to the 768 values.

Anyway, just got my other new toy to compare and contrast with Hiby etc. so will revisit.

Interesting, weight of these two against each other is near identical as are dimensions

20220511_131604.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #390 of 1,076
That N3Pro is a right pain to upgrade from. I’d like an Android DAP but none I’ve heard up to $1500 cut it. Thanks for your impressions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back