HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Apr 3, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 1,076
Smart of you @rlw6534 you called it, it’s a 9219C. The more I’d thought about it in the meantime, the more I thought your hypothesis was clever - what other chip could be used to get such a huge play time? It’s a smart design in that the DAC itself is killer, amping is where you can improve on the package with a dedicated circuit. Battery life through the optional class A will be closer to average presumably.

Yes, my guess was totally based on the long run time with the 9219 being the most power efficient MQA compatible DAC/amp that I was aware of. I guess we'll see what "Class-A Act" means.

Apr 3, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #17 of 1,076
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #22 of 1,076
Apr 5, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #23 of 1,076
I'm disappointed that the R5 II appears to still use volume buttons instead of a wheel/knob.
I'd also hoped for a device which would improve on the slightly sluggish operation of my OG R5. Perhaps I'm jumping to the wrong conclusion re' speed though, maybe the R5 II will run Android 8 faster than the OG?
A 4.7" screen makes me think this must be slightly bigger than the OG too, even if the bezels are even smaller than the R5.
I can't say I felt any need for 'class-A' amplification or an additional PO/LO either [shrugs].
Oh well, I guess Hiby took the R5II in a different direction than I'd hoped, no problem, I still love my R5 so I'll just stick with that for the moment.
Sorry if this post comes across negative, I'm certain others will be happy with the changes, and I have to admit, it does look handsome!
EDIT:
Oh, and do we really need to be adding 2.5mm sockets to devices at this stage of the game?! Seems like a legacy port to me nowadays.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #24 of 1,076
Oh, and do we really need to be adding 2.5mm sockets to devices at this stage of the game?! Seems like a legacy port to me nowadays.

I personally like that it has the additional socket. I keeps me from using adaptors or buying cables that I have to switch around. Unfortunately, I have other DAPS which are either 2.5 or 4.4 mm only, so I can't just use one size.

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #25 of 1,076
I'm disappointed that the R5 II appears to still use volume buttons instead of a wheel/knob.
I'd also hoped for a device which would improve on the slightly sluggish operation of my OG R5. Perhaps I'm jumping to the wrong conclusion re' speed though, maybe the R5 II will run Android 8 faster than the OG?
A 4.7" screen makes me think this must be slightly bigger than the OG too, even if the bezels are even smaller than the R5.
I can't say I felt any need for 'class-A' amplification or an additional PO/LO either [shrugs].
Oh well, I guess Hiby took the R5II in a different direction than I'd hoped, no problem, I still love my R5 so I'll just stick with that for the moment.
Sorry if this post comes across negative, I'm certain others will be happy with the changes, and I have to admit, it does look handsome!
EDIT:

And I can't bare volume wheels and only consider DAP's with volume buttons!

Disappointment for me is it still being at Android 8. How long will streaming apps support 8 seeing as already on 12 now.

Agree with other poster, its great having all 3 sockets so we can use our preferred cables. I still have a nice 2.5mm silver I use with my K10U's and currently use an adapter to 4.4mm.

Until we hear it how can we know if class "A" is worth it ?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #26 of 1,076
Joe Bloggs,
Can you post some size comparison pics of the old and new R5?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #28 of 1,076
android 8, so no wavelet or poweramp eq. who knows how long apps will support android 8.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they will add 10 band system-wide PEQ as a feature. Agreed that Android 8 is disappointing.

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #29 of 1,076
One thing is, Hiby are the only DAP makers along with iBasso ever to have upgraded the Android version of their players mid-life. The R6Pro jumped from 6 to 8, something like that. So if it’s possible on that Snapdragon chip, as @rlw6534 pointed out earlier, maybe, just maybe they’ll do it again. It’s probably more difficult this time around; since their newer players are on Android 9 I am inclined to think the R5 platform will just remain locked at 8, or they’d have made the jump for the launch.

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #30 of 1,076
One thing is, Hiby are the only DAP makers along with iBasso ever to have upgraded the Android version of their players mid-life. The R6Pro jumped from 6 to 8, something like that. So if it’s possible on that Snapdragon chip, as @rlw6534 pointed out earlier, maybe, just maybe they’ll do it again. It’s probably more difficult this time around; since their newer players are on Android 9 I am inclined to think the R5 platform will just remain locked at 8, or they’d have made the jump for the launch.

The problem with Android 8 is that it doesn't include the DynamicsProcessing effect which is what (I believe) allows Wavelet and Poweramp Equalizer to function. I'm a big believer in modest to moderate EQ to fine tune my equipment. If Hiby could improve the convolver plugin or add system-wide PEQ we might still be able to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back