Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Nov 11, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #1,442 of 2,094
I'm considering buying R3 Pro Saber on 11.11, but I'm concerned about bad reviews on Amazon regarding Bluetooth and large memory cards:

1636579112629.png
1636579154126.png
1636579193482.png

Is the situation really that bad?

I recall that there was originally a 20,000 file limit for library scanning (you can still use folders). It may have been changed in later firmwares. I don't have that many files to test. I personally have no issues with 5000 lossless and hi-res files and I have rescanned various SD cards many times.

Bluetooth signal strength is an issue with most DAPs (except maybe Sony). For me it works in the same room line-of-sight with AAC and AptX. I haven't tried LDAC.

I have had a few lock-ups when switching modes and functions (mainly DLNA), but nothing that a quick restart didn't fix. It does boot quickly compared to Android...

I'm very happy with mine for my use case, which is wired IEMs connected to the R3 Pro and listening to local files, Tidal and Qobuz.

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,443 of 2,094
I'm considering buying R3 Pro Saber on 11.11, but I'm concerned about bad reviews on Amazon regarding Bluetooth and large memory cards:

1636579112629.png
1636579154126.png
1636579193482.png

Is the situation really that bad?

It looks like the file limit for scanning is still a problem. You need this if want to browse by artist, by album, or by title.
But scanning is optional. Without scanning you can still browse by directory (as was already pointed out above).

Unfortunately I cannot tell anything about Bluetooth issues, I rarely use the Bluetooth connection.

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,444 of 2,094
How is the Bluetooth range for you?
How many files did you load on your memory card?
Bluetooth range depends heavily on whether it is acting as the receiver or transmitter. If it is the receiver and you're using a modern Android phone or iPhone, then you shouldn't have any issues compared to the average range of LDAC and AAC Bluetooth connections. So about 10 meters line-of-sight, or about half that if it has to bounce off walls. If you're using it as a Bluetooth transmitter, then it'll depend somewhat on the strength of the antenna on your earphones or Bluetooth adapters. For the FiiO LC-BT2, which is known to have a relatively weak Bluetooth antenna gain, you can't block the antenna at all while in use or you get garbling. Using something with better reception gets you close enough to the standard Bluetooth range of 10 meters line-of-sight, and half that with obstructions. This includes the human body.

Unfortunately, I can't really comment on sd card limits, as I don't have enough songs downloaded to test that with.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #1,445 of 2,094
I'm extremely late to this party, but as someone who has owned the original R3 for over an year, would the R3 Pro Sabre be a worthy upgrade?

I see that it is using dual ES9218 DACs. I also own an LG V30 and Hidisz AP80 with the same DAC and I love the warm, musical and mid-centric qualities from it. Will the R3P Sabre also bear these same warm and mid-centric qualities?

To give my own perception of the sound differences, I personally perceive the original R3 (ES9028) as a bit V-shaped, while AP80 (ES9218) sounds very forward in its mids and overall more neutral than original R3.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #1,446 of 2,094
I'm extremely late to this party, but as someone who has owned the original R3 for over an year, would the R3 Pro Sabre be a worthy upgrade?

I see that it is using dual ES9218 DACs. I also own an LG V30 and Hidisz AP80 with the same DAC and I love the warm, musical and mid-centric qualities from it. Will the R3P Sabre also bear these same warm and mid-centric qualities?

To give my own perception of the sound differences, I personally perceive the original R3 (ES9028) as a bit V-shaped, while AP80 (ES9218) sounds very forward in its mids and overall more neutral than original R3.
Mine isn't especially warm, but it is absolutely not cold and analytical. Seems more like a musical DAP with even more detail retrieval than average.

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #1,447 of 2,094

I own both the original R3 and the R3 Pro Saber. I use them without any eq and without MSEB.

The original R3 is warmer and sounds a bit narrower. The bass is more pronounced overall but hits softer it seems. Highs and mids seem slightly recessed to me but still fully acceptable. I am driving the HD560S with the R3 which tames these very detailed headphones a bit, and provides some pleasant listening.

The Saber retrieves more detail, is a tiny bit more open sounding and has an overall bright tuning. The bass is sharper and a bit more precise. Still, it’s not as natural as it could be, e.g. what I get with my Shanling players. Mids are very good I would say, highs are sometimes sweet but sometimes getting close to being harsh. I would recommend using this player for darker headphones.

Overall the Saber is more capable sound-wise and the better player with darker headphones. But the original R3 is more forgiving and easier to match with many headphones. The original R3 is slightly more musical whereas the R3 Pro Saber is more analytical.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #1,448 of 2,094

Also had the AP80 after its Kickstarter campaign but sold it again after a year or so. I remember it like this in comparison:

- AP80: neutral, with slightly metallic treble

- R3 Pro Saber: detailed, bright, with sweet treble, sometimes a bit harsh

- Original R3: warm, slightly musical, with recessed treble

Nov 13, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #1,449 of 2,094

There is always the original R3 Pro (not Saber) with Cirrus DAC for a warmer sound.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #1,450 of 2,094
Mine isn't especially warm, but it is absolutely not cold and analytical. Seems more like a musical DAP with even more detail retrieval than average.

Ahh okay, that is pretty much on par with what I'd imagined them to be like. Probably will consider it then, thanks.

Also had the AP80 after its Kickstarter campaign but sold it again after a year or so. I remember it like this in comparison:

- AP80: neutral, with slightly metallic treble

- R3 Pro Saber: detailed, bright, with sweet treble, sometimes a bit harsh

- Original R3: warm, slightly musical, with recessed treble

Yeah that's overall what my impressions are with the AP80 and R3. Though I find the original R3 is not nearly as musical as the AP80 (MSEB applied).

There is always the original R3 Pro (not Saber) with Cirrus DAC for a warmer sound.

I had the CS model in mind but probably would rather want the Sabre model for its more airy and detailed sound. As long as it's nothing too borderline cold or analytical.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,452 of 2,094
Nov 13, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #1,453 of 2,094
Anybody using their R3 with EE Bravado Mk2 or a Monarch

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #1,455 of 2,094
So... i owned a R3 Pro Sabre for the last week. There is a LOT i like in this player. It has the perfect size for me, it sounds great, i liked the UI. I did not run into major issues. Generally it has been a pleasant experience. (even though it sometimes refuses to resume playback after i have paused a long track for a few minutes)

However: there is one issue which just drove me nuts and for which there is NO hope to ever get fixed: that is the placement of the Volume buttons.
Why put them on the opposed side of the playback controls? one of the main reasons i use a dap is because i want convinient playback and volume controls without taking the player out of my pocket. with the volume controls on the opposed side i am either forced to control volume with my pinky or spin the player in my pocket. the 3.5mm and 2.5mm are also on the top of the player, so i have to spin it every time i put it into my pocket. yes. i can spin the screen in the menue- but if i do this, reaching the controls becomes even less practical because then i have to reach around all the player *with my pinky* to press the pause button which just does not work.

other factors which contributed to my decission where the file limit of 20.000 tracks, missing support for embedded cue sheets and the fact that there is no way to show longer track names without playing the track.

so... i spend the last two days reseaching which dap to get instead. i *almost* bought a hidizs ap 80 pro, but this model has one of these silly spinny dials which are not very easy to use in a pocket neither, the battery time is crap, and last but not least: it was only aviable in blue while common whisdom clearly dictates that there is not colour but black.

then today i found an Ibasso dx120 at a discount for 200€ (incl taxes and shipping). the item was returned during the 30 days period. it is sold as new with full warranty and right of free return, though the boxing might be damaged.

so while i do think the dx120 its to large and a tad heavy and also blue, i bought that one because the shape seems comfortable, it has acceptable battery life, apparently no 20.000 track limit and most of all: reasonable button placement without a wheel. the cherry on the cake is that the output jacks are on the bottom, and of course the price i got it for.

so yeah. parting with the R3 Pro with a real feeling of sadness. Its so close to being the perfect dap for me, i almost fell in love. but ultimately, for me the R3 Pro just fails at being convinient to use. there is a reason almost every other player has the buttons on ONE side, and i really hope Hiby takes this hint next time they do a redesign.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back