Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Nov 18, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,456 of 2,070
So... i owned a R3 Pro Sabre for the last week. There is a LOT i like in this player. It has the perfect size for me, it sounds great, i liked the UI. I did not run into major issues. Generally it has been a pleasant experience. (even though it sometimes refuses to resume playback after i have paused a long track for a few minutes)

However: there is one issue which just drove me nuts and for which there is NO hope to ever get fixed: that is the placement of the Volume buttons.
Why put them on the opposed side of the playback controls? one of the main reasons i use a dap is because i want convinient playback and volume controls without taking the player out of my pocket. with the volume controls on the opposed side i am either forced to control volume with my pinky or spin the player in my pocket. the 3.5mm and 2.5mm are also on the top of the player, so i have to spin it every time i put it into my pocket. yes. i can spin the screen in the menue- but if i do this, reaching the controls becomes even less practical because then i have to reach around all the player *with my pinky* to press the pause button which just does not work.

another factors which contributed to my decission where the file limit of 20.000 tracks, missing support for embedded cue sheets and the fact that there is no way to show longer track names without playing the track.

so... i spend the last two days reseaching which dap to get instead. i *almost* bought a hidizs ap 80 pro, but this model has one of these silly spinny dials which are not very easy to use in a pocket neither, the battery time is crap, and last but not least: it was only aviable in blue while common whisdom clearly dictates that there is not colour but black.

then today i found an Ibasso dx120 at a discount for 200€ (incl taxes and shipping). the item was returned during the 30 days period. it is sold as new with full warranty and right of free return, though the boxing might be damaged.

so while i do think the dx120 its to large and a tad heavy and also blue, i bought that one because the shape seems comfortable, it has acceptable battery life, apparently no 20.000 track limit and most of all: reasonable button placement without a wheel. the cherry on the cake is that the output jacks are on the bottom, and of course the price i got it for.

so yeah. parting with the R3 Pro with a real feeling of sadness. Its so close to being the perfect dap for me, i almost fell in love. but ultimately, for me the R3 Pro just fails at being convinient to use. there is a reason almost every other player has the buttons on ONE side, and i really hope Hiby takes this hint next time they do a redesign.
Interesting. I actually prefer the buttons to be on opposite sides. Like with phones, having too many buttons on one side makes things crowded and difficult to differentiate things on. As for the R3 Pro Saber, I can manage all the buttons with either thumb or middle/ring fingers. But I do agree that the 20k track limit is problematic for music collectors, same with the absent track name scrolling. Honestly, I really wish that Asus would just use their ROG line of phones to give every other phone maker and DAP maker the middle finger by including a second DAC/amp chip and adding a 2.5mm balanced output. The ROG Phone 5 and 5S already feature a saber DAC/amp chip and their single-ended output is impressive, but balanced is just the real standard for audiophiles, so it'd be lovely to have a phone with that.

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #1,457 of 2,070
Interesting. I actually prefer the buttons to be on opposite sides.
maybe its our differnt physique, or maybe we use them differently. the buttons are ok when i have it in the pocket of my jacket. but i have the player in my throusers all day and have to use the playback controls often. i mean: yaeh it kinda is possible to use the buttons. but its just not optimal. it just wont stop annoying me. plus, the power button is directly beside the skip button which i use a lot to search. the player has no audio clue when searching, so i turn the player off all the time because i confuse the buttons. that is simply not a very smart design. also: i did not mention this but no audio clue when searching is a big negative too. see, i listen to audiobooks at work. whenever someone decides to annoy me, i have to pause, after i resume play i have to search back a bit. without audio clue, this is always a guessing game and i simply cant reliably search to the posion i want. so yeah: i use these buttons a lot and so for me, their useability, or rather leak of useability, is a major driver of dissatisfaction

I really wish that Asus would just use their ROG line of phones...

tbh i dont think the phone i want will ever be the dap i want. SQ is just one factor, i think they also have different requirements in physical appearance.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #1,461 of 2,070
Hello,
When playing from folders and last file from a folder has been played, does it automatically jump to next folder and starts playing its first file?
And folders can be arranged by date (from newer to older) or just alphabetically?
Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #1,462 of 2,070
I did it....

Yq5zsZr.png

After hours of some pretty intense research, I finally decided to pull the trigger and got the R3 Pro Sabre amidst the black friday sale.

This may be one of the most risky and reluctant purchases I've made, as all arrows point to this DAP as being the "treble devil". However, the point of this upgrade was to experience better resolution, clarity and detail than my original R3 which I guess makes it an inevitable tradeoff, and this DAP fits all the bills for the same price as the original. I also mainly listen to EDM which, apparently, is what Hiby has tuned this DAP for.

And I can simply dial back the treble with MSEB so no biggie. I just hope that the overall tonality isn't too dry (in the mids) or brittle (in the treble). I don't want anything too "humid" either, I just want to experience the natural warmth of my songs with no added veil.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #1,463 of 2,070
I did it....

Yq5zsZr.png

After hours of some pretty intense research, I finally decided to pull the trigger and got the R3 Pro Sabre amidst the black friday sale.

This may be one of the most risky and reluctant purchases I've made, as all arrows point to this DAP as being the "treble devil". However, the point of this upgrade was to experience better resolution, clarity and detail than my original R3 which I guess makes it an inevitable tradeoff, and this DAP fits all the bills for the same price as the original. I also mainly listen to EDM which, apparently, is what Hiby has tuned this DAP for.

And I can simply dial back the treble with MSEB so no biggie. I just hope that the overall tonality isn't too dry (in the mids) or brittle (in the treble). I don't want anything too "humid" either, I just want to experience the natural warmth of my songs with no added veil.
Thanks for the post. I have been wanting to order an R3 Pro to pair with my Chord Mojo with this case

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...64-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"10000001511952932"}

I got the 20% discount on Amazon and it is returnable until 1/31/22

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #1,464 of 2,070
I did it....

Yq5zsZr.png

You'll be happy👍

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #1,465 of 2,070
Thanks for the post. I have been wanting to order an R3 Pro to pair with my Chord Mojo with this case

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000370062977.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5dfc39552ev6es&algo_pvid=6fdb8cc9-a3e7-4199-a1dd-4b12130ba864&algo_exp_id=6fdb8cc9-a3e7-4199-a1dd-4b12130ba864-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"10000001511952932"}

I got the 20% discount on Amazon and it is returnable until 1/31/22

Nice, I wanted to order from Amazon first but unfortunately it's all out of stock in my region (Canada).

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #1,469 of 2,070
Finally the player arrived! All good from HifiGo side and all customs were fully cleared. Unfortunately in Germany it took DHL more than a week to deliver… 😕 always the same this time of the year 🙈😄

Cool. Enjoy the music!

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,470 of 2,070
Hello,

My R3 pro Saber is kind of locked, as only the balanced headphone output works. It does not detect me, nor does it reproduce me from the 3.5 mm connector. This has suddenly started to happen, since yesterday I was working normally and I could hear from both jacks (3.5mm and 2.5mm), now only the 2.5mm one works for me.
I have done the firmware update (version 1.6) and factory reset, but the problem persists.

Has any user had this or similar problem? and above all I am interested in knowing if you have any solution.

Thanks for reading me and any help will be welcome.

Ty vm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back