Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Oct 30, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,426 of 2,068
It feels like R3 Pro doesn't support android for DAC functionality, is it so?

Are you using an OTG-cable? I can use my R3 pro as a DAC without any problems. Also you may want to check if your cable is bi-directional, unlike my Fiio cable.
IMG_20211030_200348429.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #1,429 of 2,068
If anyone else was experiencing terrible difficulty trying to update the firmware on your R3 Pro (Saber), where it would accept the update and restart the device but then fail to actually run the updater, I have good news! I reached out to Hiby regarding this and their helpful support rep gave me instructions to use their internal recovery flashing tool to reflash the missing recovery imager onto the DAP's internal storage. It turns out that they utilize this recovery utility to bootstrap the new firmware image and its integrated installer. Without this recovery imager, the update will fail and the device will just reboot normally. Here's the content of the email:

Thank you for your email.
Regarding the problem you mentioned, this should be the update program that is missing "recovery". You can download the relevant installation file and installation guide from the link to install it manually (Please note that this program can only be done on a Windows computer):https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1l10NVyFRpPUAVhDvPww_l1-RSmC_uMaD?usp=sharing

If your computer is Windows 10. Before the installation, you can set the advanced options of "Disable driver signature enforcement" on your computer. You can view the guide from this link: https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-...DX4Ig4gH2o1Tt5h3ZjJzzileWsbQu15tMUYK4jps2rHV0

Attached is a guide video for your reference.
Thanks and best regards,
HiByMusic
HiBy official website: https://store.hiby.com/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_PNioFhWT4YMBI0kQFj4NRjJT2IZ-Xcu/view?usp=sharing

And from my experience trying to make this work:
Quick rundown on the necessary steps for Windows 10:

Prepare your machine to install the unsigned driver:
  1. Click on the "Start Menu" icon
  2. Click on the "Power" icon
  3. Hold down the shift key and select "restart"
  4. Select "Troubleshoot"
  5. Select "Advanced Options"
  6. Select "Startup Settings"
  7. Select "Restart"
  8. Your computer will restart to the Startup Settings page. Select "7" (or whichever number the "Disable Driver Signature Verification" option is for you)
  9. Your computer is now able to install the unsigned driver files for the R3 Pro
Connect your R3 Pro in troubleshooting mode:
  1. Power off the DAP
  2. Press and hold the previous track button (the top track change button just below the power button)
  3. While holding the previous track button, plug in the device with a compatible USB C cable
  4. The device should show up as connected but unrecognized
Install the driver software:
  1. Unzip the linked file with the cloner utility
  2. Open the folder where you extracted the .RAR file
  3. Open the "cloner-win32-driver folder"
  4. Right click the file named "usb_cloner_device.inf" and select the "Install" option from the drop-down menu
  5. Accept the unsigned driver and close the window that pops up when it finishes installing
  6. The device driver has now been installed
  7. Confirm that the device is recognized by opening Device Manager (Windows key+X then select "Device Manager" from the menu) It should show up as "USB Cloner Tool"
Run the image burn utility:
  1. Navigate back one folder
  2. Open the "cloner-1.0.0BH4-windows_release" folder
  3. Run the "cloner.exe" executable. This should open another window showing the command prompt which will indicate that the device is connected
    • IMPORTANT: the default config will wipe the MicroSD card you have installed. If you don't want this to happen, remove it now! It is not required for this process)
  4. In the USB cloner utility, select the "Load Image" button and select the only image in the folder it defaults to
  5. Select "Start"
  6. Now unplug the R3 Pro
  7. While holding the previous track button, reconnect the R3 Pro. The imager needs to detect when the device has been plugged in to determine which USB address to act on
  8. Watch the progress bar on the cloner utility
  9. Once it reaches 100%, the R3 Pro should restart on its own
  10. You have successfully replaced the recovery imager.
Update your R3 Pro as normal:
  1. Reinstall your MicroSD card if you removed it previously
  2. You can now either download the updated firmware image from their google drive links on their support page or use the OTA option to have your DAP download it yourself.
    • Side note: if your R3 Pro is failing to finish the firmware download in OTA mode, go under the "Wireless Settings">"WIFI">"DNS Server" and change the default DNS server that the DAP is pulling from your router config to one of the free ones run by CloudFlare or Google (1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, respectively). This should allow the download to finish. I have AT&T and it seems that their default DNS server doesn't really like to remain connected to Hiby's repo.

Hope that helps! I've been fighting with this thing off and on for weeks and finally got some resolution, so I figured it would only be right to share.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #1,430 of 2,068
If anyone else was experiencing terrible difficulty trying to update the firmware on your R3 Pro (Saber), where it would accept the update and restart the device but then fail to actually run the updater, I have good news! I reached out to Hiby regarding this and their helpful support rep gave me instructions to use their internal recovery flashing tool to reflash the missing recovery imager onto the DAP's internal storage. It turns out that they utilize this recovery utility to bootstrap the new firmware image and its integrated installer. Without this recovery imager, the update will fail and the device will just reboot normally. Here's the content of the email:

Thank you for your email.
Regarding the problem you mentioned, this should be the update program that is missing "recovery". You can download the relevant installation file and installation guide from the link to install it manually (Please note that this program can only be done on a Windows computer):https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1l10NVyFRpPUAVhDvPww_l1-RSmC_uMaD?usp=sharing

If your computer is Windows 10. Before the installation, you can set the advanced options of "Disable driver signature enforcement" on your computer. You can view the guide from this link: https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-...DX4Ig4gH2o1Tt5h3ZjJzzileWsbQu15tMUYK4jps2rHV0

Attached is a guide video for your reference.
Thanks and best regards,
HiByMusic
HiBy official website: https://store.hiby.com/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_PNioFhWT4YMBI0kQFj4NRjJT2IZ-Xcu/view?usp=sharing

And from my experience trying to make this work:
Quick rundown on the necessary steps for Windows 10:

Prepare your machine to install the unsigned driver:
  1. Click on the "Start Menu" icon
  2. Click on the "Power" icon
  3. Hold down the shift key and select "restart"
  4. Select "Troubleshoot"
  5. Select "Advanced Options"
  6. Select "Startup Settings"
  7. Select "Restart"
  8. Your computer will restart to the Startup Settings page. Select "7" (or whichever number the "Disable Driver Signature Verification" option is for you)
  9. Your computer is now able to install the unsigned driver files for the R3 Pro
Connect your R3 Pro in troubleshooting mode:
  1. Power off the DAP
  2. Press and hold the previous track button (the top track change button just below the power button)
  3. While holding the previous track button, plug in the device with a compatible USB C cable
  4. The device should show up as connected but unrecognized
Install the driver software:
  1. Unzip the linked file with the cloner utility
  2. Open the folder where you extracted the .RAR file
  3. Open the "cloner-win32-driver folder"
  4. Right click the file named "usb_cloner_device.inf" and select the "Install" option from the drop-down menu
  5. Accept the unsigned driver and close the window that pops up when it finishes installing
  6. The device driver has now been installed
  7. Confirm that the device is recognized by opening Device Manager (Windows key+X then select "Device Manager" from the menu) It should show up as "USB Cloner Tool"
Run the image burn utility:
  1. Navigate back one folder
  2. Open the "cloner-1.0.0BH4-windows_release" folder
  3. Run the "cloner.exe" executable. This should open another window showing the command prompt which will indicate that the device is connected
    • IMPORTANT: the default config will wipe the MicroSD card you have installed. If you don't want this to happen, remove it now! It is not required for this process)
  4. In the USB cloner utility, select the "Load Image" button and select the only image in the folder it defaults to
  5. Select "Start"
  6. Now unplug the R3 Pro
  7. While holding the previous track button, reconnect the R3 Pro. The imager needs to detect when the device has been plugged in to determine which USB address to act on
  8. Watch the progress bar on the cloner utility
  9. Once it reaches 100%, the R3 Pro should restart on its own
  10. You have successfully replaced the recovery imager.
Update your R3 Pro as normal:
  1. Reinstall your MicroSD card if you removed it previously
  2. You can now either download the updated firmware image from their google drive links on their support page or use the OTA option to have your DAP download it yourself.
    • Side note: if your R3 Pro is failing to finish the firmware download in OTA mode, go under the "Wireless Settings">"WIFI">"DNS Server" and change the default DNS server that the DAP is pulling from your router config to one of the free ones run by CloudFlare or Google (1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, respectively). This should allow the download to finish. I have AT&T and it seems that their default DNS server doesn't really like to remain connected to Hiby's repo.

Hope that helps! I've been fighting with this thing off and on for weeks and finally got some resolution, so I figured it would only be right to share.
Geez. Been considering this player as an upgrade over my Hidizs AP80, but don’t want to go through this kind of crap for anything. Pass.

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #1,431 of 2,068
Geez. Been considering this player as an upgrade over my Hidizs AP80, but don’t want to go through this kind of crap for anything. Pass.
Fair enough. There's always a lot of extra weirdness with hifi DAP firmware upgrades and general OS and UI stuff, so I don't really hold high expectations for them in general. It's just too niche of a market to expect it to be as simple a process as OTA upgrades on smartphones. It's nice when you find a company that can make it that easy, though. In my case, I got the R3 Pro because of the way they described how the various input and output options worked. A lot of companies claim some degree of bluetooth compatibility, but only Hiby just straight-up said that if you plug in a USB for USB DAC, you could connect wireless headphone adapters over bluetooth. Other companies probably support this with their DAPs, but it's difficult to tell from their listings. In terms of how capable a device it is, the R3 Pro is incredibly capable. It's really only let down by OS weirdness and a weaker bluetooth antenna gain than I would have liked.

On the plus side, though, their support rep responded in less than an hour with a really thorough solution, so that's certainly a positive.

I will say, though. If you can swing the price difference for the R5S, it's got much better bluetooth reception and some pretty ridiculous power output. It is a decent bit larger, though.

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,432 of 2,068

FYI, there were only a limited number of devices that had this specific problem and it was quickly fixed. I did not have to do this on my R3 Pro and it has accepted updates without issues.

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #1,433 of 2,068
FYI, there were only a limited number of devices that had this specific problem and it was quickly fixed. I did not have to do this on my R3 Pro and it has accepted updates without issues.
I assumed this was likely the case. I'm just glad they had a workable solution and I'm more than tech savvy enough to make it work. The R3 lineup is really capable, so it's frustrating when problems like this undermine trust within the community.

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #1,434 of 2,068
I assumed this was likely the case. I'm just glad they had a workable solution and I'm more than tech savvy enough to make it work. The R3 lineup is really capable, so it's frustrating when problems like this undermine trust within the community.

Yeah, I just didn't want people to think they all had this issue and then avoid the device because of it. It was handled under warranty as well for those less "tech savvy". :sunglasses:

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,435 of 2,068
Yeah, I just didn't want people to think they all had this issue and then avoid the device because of it. It was handled under warranty as well for those less "tech savvy". :sunglasses:
Good to know. I figured it might help to put the links and some thorough instructions out there for the algorithm to pick up so more people will be frustrated for less time.

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #1,437 of 2,068
Thanks. Maybe I will consider the R3 after all. I shouldn’t be so opposed I guess, because I tend to use stuff long term as-is out of the box. Still on V1 of the AP80 without problems. Have been looking at the R3 to cast from my PC to my Deva. Still want small form factor as much as possible so will skip the R5.

Nov 2, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #1,438 of 2,068
At the time when I bought my R3 Pro Saber it was the smallest set that supported bluetooth transmission and reception, various wireless music streaming protocols, and had a strong enough amp to prevent me from needing to upgrade in the foreseeable future. This may not currently be the case, as I haven't been paying as much attention to what companies are doing with their DAPs as of late, so it's still worthwhile to do your own research. I also appreciate that it supports things that I'm unlikely to ever utilize, like DSD 256 decoding and MQA x4 unfolding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back