HiBy FC6--R2R dongle DAC reborn
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #122 of 245
RU7 vs FC6?

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #124 of 245
Let's start by saying that I will express only my personal opinion, therefore questionable. Between the RU7 and the FC6 there is no winner... they are two excellent dongles especially considering their cost and what they offer from a performance point of view. The FC6 is an excellent R2R DAC and like all DACs of its kind offers a very analogue, natural, musical and rich sound, which highlights the voices and individual instruments in the foreground. The RU7 shares with the FC6 the same very rounded and musical setting and the same really above average tonality but with some differences. The FC6 is designed for more intimate listening, while the RU7 makes the width of the soundstage one of its strong points... if you want to listen to a voice and a guitar the FC6 is unbeatable, just as if you want to listen to a he orchestra with many overlapping instruments the RU7 is unmatched. The FC6 provides more immediate usability, it has no adjustments other than the filters (useless for me) and few volume levels (31), it has no line out output and lacks a balanced output. The RU7 for its part has many more adjustments, but also has a very high consumption towards the streamer which provides it with the current and more power to drive more difficult headphones. If you are looking above all for something to listen to on the move, simply with some IEMs connected and without too many adjustments, the FC6 is certainly preferable, but if you prefer a desktop approach (connection to a computer / use of external amplifiers) the RU7 will adapt better purpose. If I had to give you advice on which one to choose I would recommend getting both. Another thing to consider is what you would connect them with... but I don't know this because you didn't specify.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #125 of 245
Let's start by saying that I will express only my personal opinion, therefore questionable. Between the RU7 and the FC6 there is no winner... they are two excellent dongles especially considering their cost and what they offer from a performance point of view. The FC6 is an excellent R2R DAC and like all DACs of its kind offers a very analogue, natural, musical and rich sound, which highlights the voices and individual instruments in the foreground. The RU7 shares with the FC6 the same very rounded and musical setting and the same really above average tonality but with some differences. The FC6 is designed for more intimate listening, while the RU7 makes the width of the soundstage one of its strong points... if you want to listen to a voice and a guitar the FC6 is unbeatable, just as if you want to listen to a he orchestra with many overlapping instruments the RU7 is unmatched. The FC6 provides more immediate usability, it has no adjustments other than the filters (useless for me) and few volume levels (31), it has no line out output and lacks a balanced output. The RU7 for its part has many more adjustments, but also has a very high consumption towards the streamer which provides it with the current and more power to drive more difficult headphones. If you are looking above all for something to listen to on the move, simply with some IEMs connected and without too many adjustments, the FC6 is certainly preferable, but if you prefer a desktop approach (connection to a computer / use of external amplifiers) the RU7 will adapt better purpose. If I had to give you advice on which one to choose I would recommend getting both. Another thing to consider is what you would connect them with... but I don't know this because you didn't specify.
Amazing thanks!
I’ve been lately not very happy with RU7 performance after FC6.. seems like it’s lacking something..

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #126 of 245
Has anyone compared the sound of the FC6 with that of the RS2 Darwin? Thank you
The RS2 is warmer, thicker and more R2R like compared to FC6,
FC6 is like a in-between of typical Delta Sigma and R2R.
The tonality and body in RS2 is pretty thick, the treble and vocals are mostly similar in FC6 compared to RS2, maybe FC6 is a tad bit more airer.
The primary difference in sound would be the lows and lower mid sections, RS2 being more warm comparatively. Secondly the increased air and treble of FC6 makes it sound more balanced.

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #129 of 245
I just recently received my FC6 and tried it with my iPhone 13 Pro Max and I can hear an annoying crackling kind of static intermittently while listening to music on Tidal. Anybody else experiencing this noise?
Try to toggle hdr off

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #130 of 245
Try to toggle hdr off
That's weird, I just went to try it again just now and the static/crackling is gone. Could it have something to do with the iPhone battery level perhaps being too low maybe. It's at 75% now and no noise. I'll try it again later when the battery level is lower. Also, when I crank the volume up past 22 the whole unit shuts down and I have to wait a few seconds before it will turn back on. I'm guessing some kind of overload safety feature or something?

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #131 of 245
Hi all. Hoping someone could help. I just received the FC6 and updated to 1.07. The screen no longer goes on. I reflashed and still the same issue. I then downgraded to 1.06 and I have the same issue. Please tell me I am missing something and this unit didn't just break. It plays, just can't see the screen.

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #132 of 245

Your impressions align exactly with mine. I demo'd the RU7 and FC6 side by side last weekend. Both are superb dongles and the strengths are exactly as you describe. The most noticeable to me was their different staging. The FC6 is much more compact in dimension and closer/more intimate in vocal placement, while the RU7 is intimate but slightly placed 'back' into the psychoacoustic stage and with braoder dimensions. The RU7 does better bringing out layering and placement in recordings.

I ended up getting the RU7 to broaden the stage of my transducers but still achieve some of that organic tonality (plus the LO function is useful for my desktop use). I cannot deny, however, I preferred the FC6 tonally and it had a richer sound with greater texture. In fact, it's probably the most natural tonality I have heard, apart from my ROHM desktop DAC. To achieve such good sound in such a small footprint is special...

You really can't go wrong with either!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #133 of 245
Is there anyone here who has the Chord Mojo 1? Can you compared the FC6 and the Chord Mojo against each other? Thank you

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #134 of 245
Hi all. Hoping someone could help. I just received the FC6 and updated to 1.07. The screen no longer goes on. I reflashed and still the same issue. I then downgraded to 1.06 and I have the same issue. Please tell me I am missing something and this unit didn't just break. It plays, just can't see the screen.

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone was having the same problem and it fixed itself when they used the FC6 with UAPP. Could be worth a shot.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #135 of 245
We are getting a few units of these in the office soon.

We've had good experience with HiBy products previously and a couple of our guys are rocking RS2s (with the same R2R architecture), so we are excited to try these!

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back