HiBy FC6--R2R dongle DAC reborn
Dec 14, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #92 of 248
Has anyone compared the sound of the FC6 with that of the RS2 Darwin? Thank you

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #93 of 248
A piece of advice for those who want to get the most out of their FC6... try using it with this...

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.33.456336964vTbDG&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

fc6s2.jpg

You will equip it with switching power and physical separation (inside the hub) between data and power.
What features of the Hiby FC6 does this enhance? Is it clarity, volume? This one is available for not much where I live; tempted, but unsure of what exactly does it do for the dongle. And saw another post of yours where you recommend MP145; awaiting more reviews of the planar NiceHck F1 Pro. Will bite on one of em. Thanks.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #94 of 248
What features of the Hiby FC6 does this enhance? Is it clarity, volume? This one is available for not much where I live; tempted, but unsure of what exactly does it do for the dongle. And saw another post of yours where you recommend MP145; awaiting more reviews of the planar NiceHck F1 Pro. Will bite on one of em. Thanks.
The FC6 has a sound that will blow your mind, basically it's a RU6 with the detail and richness of a RU7. It is simply a stunning dongle that is unmatched in the current landscape. Obviously it's not perfect, a few volume steps (only 31) and the lack of balanced output are the main defects to deal with, but for the rest (sound) it's simply perfect. It has a stellar tone, very high definition, an extension like the best delta/sigma but retains the magic of a typical sound of an R2R, changing the filter is of no use... leave it on NOS without problems, adjust the volume and enjoy it, it's really special. It doesn't pick up interference from the phone it's connected to and doesn't consume too much. It is in a word the "perfect" dongle despite its imperfections... it is simply The Music.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #95 of 248
The FC6 has a sound that will blow your mind, basically it's a RU6 with the detail and richness of a RU7. It is simply a stunning dongle that is unmatched in the current landscape. Obviously it's not perfect, a few volume steps (only 31) and the lack of balanced output are the main defects to deal with, but for the rest (sound) it's simply perfect. It has a stellar tone, very high definition, an extension like the best delta/sigma but retains the magic of a typical sound of an R2R, changing the filter is of no use... leave it on NOS without problems, adjust the volume and enjoy it, it's really special. It doesn't pick up interference from the phone it's connected to and doesn't consume too much. It is in a word the "perfect" dongle despite its imperfections... it is simply The Music.
Darwin Ultra being of the same frequency response as NOS with the added benefit of actually filtering out aliasing artifacts and ideal psychoacoustic phase at the transition frequencies from audible to ultrasonic, I have to wonder what you hear in the NOS over it, sorry I'm just intrigued as the engineer of the filter...

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 24, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #96 of 248
Nah, nah. I wasn't asking about FC6. I just got that yesterday. Nevertheless thanks for the impressions.
But I was wondering about that minispouru usb hub you had linked. How does that enhance the sound of fc6 or any other dongle? What exactly does that hub do to fc6? Does it make it sound louder or increase clarity or ... ?

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #97 of 248
Darwin Ultra being of the same frequency response as NOS with the added benefit of actually filtering out aliasing artifacts and ideal psychoacoustic phase at the transition frequencies from audible to ultrasonic, I have to wonder what you hear in the NOS over it, sorry I'm just intrigued as the engineer of the filter...
Hi Joe,
I just acquired FC6 day before. Static at start of songs and randomly in between on my Android phone with chipset Qualcomm SM8475 Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 (4 nm).

Hopefully the updates will do the trick. Have a M1 Mac. Need to find a windows comp to update!

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #98 of 248
Hi Joe,
I just acquired FC6 day before. Static at start of songs and randomly in between on my Android phone with chipset Qualcomm SM8475 Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 (4 nm).

Hopefully the updates will do the trick. Have a M1 Mac. Need to find a windows comp to update!
It will do the trick just as soon as you do manage to update to the latest 😅👍

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #99 of 248
Nah, nah. I wasn't asking about FC6. I just got that yesterday. Nevertheless thanks for the impressions.
But I was wondering about that minispouru usb hub you had linked. How does that enhance the sound of fc6 or any other dongle? What exactly does that hub do to fc6? Does it make it sound louder or increase clarity or ... ?
All dongles and therefore obviously also the FC6 have two major limitations that prevent them from competing on equal terms with desktop solutions costing thousands of euros/dollars. These two limits mainly refer to the current... both incoming (power supply) and outgoing (amplification). By removing or circumventing these two limitations, dongles easily reach listening levels that come close to or even allow them to surpass desktop DACs that cost up to ten times their cost. The hub you see in the photo (twin of the PulwTop) allows you to remove the first of these two limits by giving the dongle a step-down switching power supply which has only the dongle's request as its limit. In fact, when connected to the hub, the FC6 manages to absorb current peaks that approach the instantaneous watt as shown by the display on the hub. This translates into an absolute black level, greater power, much faster transients, improved definition, the sound becomes crystal clear, voices improve and become three-dimensional as happens with instruments much more vivid and natural. Basically the FC6 expresses itself to the maximum of what it can without worrying about the current it manages to obtain from the streamer because it is no longer it who provides it. The question, however, does not only concern the quantity of current, but its speed in flowing through the dongle whose request is satisfied within a millisecond. As regards the other limit (amplification) this is circumvented through the use of a signal balancer/unbalancer which increases the output voltage from the dongle which can (if necessary) provide up to 8 volts which alone 'FC6 could not do. In addition to this, the balancer balances the signal of the FC6 equipped with an exclusively unbalanced output and, being of a professional type, it does not add any distortion, allowing the dongle to deliver much more than the few volts it would be capable of on its own. The stage becomes enormous, the sound takes shape and spreads in the air, everything becomes alive, physical, real. This whole chain ends in a Cayin iHA-6 which, thanks to the high voltage supplied by the balancer and the dongle doped by the hub, easily powers a Hifiman HE6... and believe me... listening to an FC6 with an HE6 is truly a incredible experience. All this without consuming a bit of power from the streamer, be it a phone/tablet/PC.

HUB:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...etolove.5.3aa35132nkVCm5&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

Balancer/Unbalancer:

https://www.amazon.com/ART-CLEANBoxPro-2-channel-Unbalanced-Converter/dp/B003S7T49K

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #100 of 248
(Required premise)
This is just my personal opinion, therefore questionable and not shared by others... it is not the truth... but my truth.

What I hear with NOS is simply what happens in the recording room without any filter or sweetening induced. Everything is more real, less polished, but more engaging, dynamic, profound and what matters even more to me is the fact that I don't hide or sugarcoat what is really happening in the room where the piece was recorded. If there are errors or inaccuracies, they are certainly not those that the FC6 makes in decoding but what simply happens when, for example, a singer brings the microphone too close or plays the guitar with less vigor. In a song with many overlapping instruments or voices recorded in the background it's not easy to notice but try listening to a song in both modes and you'll understand in an instant what I'm talking about. The song in question is Creep (acoustic version) by RadioHead... song with which Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 begins. Listen to it first with Darwin Ultra... a couple of times... then listen to it with the NOS and you will have a very precise picture of the situation. Thom Yorke's voice enters you with the NOS and does not remain on the surface... the guitar is made of wood... and not of any other material (Darwin Ultra)... everything is more real, exciting, warm , you are where he is playing it... this is the soul of the FC6 which makes it really special not its technical side but its emotional one. For me, music is emotion, not technique... and the FC6 is like music... emotion, not technique.

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #101 of 248
All dongles and therefore obviously also the FC6 have two major limitations that prevent them from competing on equal terms with desktop solutions costing thousands of euros/dollars. These two limits mainly refer to the current... both incoming (power supply) and outgoing (amplification). By removing or circumventing these two limitations, dongles easily reach listening levels that come close to or even allow them to surpass desktop DACs that cost up to ten times their cost. The hub you see in the photo (twin of the PulwTop) allows you to remove the first of these two limits by giving the dongle a step-down switching power supply which has only the dongle's request as its limit. In fact, when connected to the hub, the FC6 manages to absorb current peaks that approach the instantaneous watt as shown by the display on the hub. This translates into an absolute black level, greater power, much faster transients, improved definition, the sound becomes crystal clear, voices improve and become three-dimensional as happens with instruments much more vivid and natural. Basically the FC6 expresses itself to the maximum of what it can without worrying about the current it manages to obtain from the streamer because it is no longer it who provides it. The question, however, does not only concern the quantity of current, but its speed in flowing through the dongle whose request is satisfied within a millisecond. As regards the other limit (amplification) this is circumvented through the use of a signal balancer/unbalancer which increases the output voltage from the dongle which can (if necessary) provide up to 8 volts which alone 'FC6 could not do. In addition to this, the balancer balances the signal of the FC6 equipped with an exclusively unbalanced output and, being of a professional type, it does not add any distortion, allowing the dongle to deliver much more than the few volts it would be capable of on its own. The stage becomes enormous, the sound takes shape and spreads in the air, everything becomes alive, physical, real. This whole chain ends in a Cayin iHA-6 which, thanks to the high voltage supplied by the balancer and the dongle doped by the hub, easily powers a Hifiman HE6... and believe me... listening to an FC6 with an HE6 is truly a incredible experience. All this without consuming a bit of power from the streamer, be it a phone/tablet/PC.

HUB:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...etolove.5.3aa35132nkVCm5&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

Balancer/Unbalancer:

https://www.amazon.com/ART-CLEANBoxPro-2-channel-Unbalanced-Converter/dp/B003S7T49K
Wow! Thank

HUB:

Balancer/Unbalancer:

Wow! Thanks for that lovely detailed explainer! I shall get the first of the two you talk about: the Hub for now. Is https://www.amazon.in/Minisopuru-USB-Hub-Multiport-Chromebook/dp/B0B3J1WPN6?th=1 the same as what you recommended? (just don't want to end up getting something else) AS for the balancer/unbalancer, shall wait a while.
And also, thanks for that fine post on 'Creep Radiohead acoustic'. Since I haven't yet updated FC6 (need to find a windows laptop), I don't have the Darwin filter. But played that song couple of times through Ibasso DC03Pro dongle I have and then on the FC6: the difference is wondrously emotionally musical.

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #102 of 248
Wow! Thank

Wow! Thanks for that lovely detailed explainer! I shall get the first of the two you talk about: the Hub for now. Is https://www.amazon.in/Minisopuru-USB-Hub-Multiport-Chromebook/dp/B0B3J1WPN6?th=1 the same as what you recommended? (just don't want to end up getting something else) AS for the balancer/unbalancer, shall wait a while.
And also, thanks for that fine post on 'Creep Radiohead acoustic'. Since I haven't yet updated FC6 (need to find a windows laptop), I don't have the Darwin filter. But played that song couple of times through Ibasso DC03Pro dongle I have and then on the FC6: the difference is wondrously emotionally musical.
The hub is not the same because it must have a separate power supply and not carry power to the streamer so as not to charge the streamer and therefore can also be used connected to a PC port without powering it, as well as having a reading of the watts consumed instantly by the dongle. It exists in various versions but they are completely identical.

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...etolove.5.74465132YWZXLZ&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

https://www.amazon.it/PULWTOP-10Gbps-trasferimento-supporta-MacBook/dp/B0BTYVL57R

https://pulwtop.com/products/pulwto...0gbps-ports-for-imac-macbook-pro-air-ipad-xps

Dec 24, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #103 of 248
If you notice from minute 3.30 to minute 3.40 of the song I mentioned, the singer gets very close to the microphone and almost seems to blow in your ears as if he is whispering directly to you. Making that sound so realistic starting from bits and current is not for all DACs... and doing it in the way the FC6 manages in such a natural way is truly amazing for such a small and compact device of this cost. Transmitting the intact emotions of those who are singing in another place, in another time and in another context and doing it in this way means only one thing... having succeeded in a small miracle... don't filter these emotions from me, thanks.. I'm fine like this.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #104 of 248
If you notice from minute 3.30 to minute 3.40 of the song I mentioned, the singer gets very close to the microphone and almost seems to blow in your ears as if he is whispering directly to you. Making that sound so realistic starting from bits and current is not for all DACs... and doing it in the way the FC6 manages in such a natural way is truly amazing for such a small and compact device of this cost. Transmitting the intact emotions of those who are singing in another place, in another time and in another context and doing it in this way means only one thing... having succeeded in a small miracle... don't filter these emotions from me, thanks.. I'm fine like this.
Brilliant! It's in these nuances that the differentiator lies. Again I routed that bit through couple of dongles: that whispery blow of air is naturally magical on FC6. Of course, even otherwise overall, there is a fullness and spaciousness to this dongle that's sucking me in, apart from the analogueish soundscape. When I first had it on couple of days back, I was looking for a bass-tautness and mids-clarity and such. That's all just hair-splitting when compared to the other dongles, it's in the macro fullness/spaciousness and the micro-naturalness (as accentuated by the whispery creepy!) where this stands out I reckon now. Will get the proper USB as linked by you - hopefully I shall find the corresponding item in my country. And shall get back to you. That seems better money spent than on a DAP and such, perhaps. Thanks again. Have a lovely day and happy festivities.

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #105 of 248
The hub is not the same because it must have a separate power supply and not carry power to the streamer so as not to charge the streamer and therefore can also be used connected to a PC port without powering it, as well as having a reading of the watts consumed instantly by the dongle. It exists in various versions but they are completely identical.

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...etolove.5.74465132YWZXLZ&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

https://www.amazon.it/PULWTOP-10Gbps-trasferimento-supporta-MacBook/dp/B0BTYVL57R

https://pulwtop.com/products/pulwto...0gbps-ports-for-imac-macbook-pro-air-ipad-xps

Phew, I think I finally found one that matches the pulwtop linked product above from your list. This: https://www.amazon.in/PULWTOP-Support-Charging-Multiport-Adapter/dp/B0BS8TKYGC So many similar sounding but with minute differences here and there. Crazy! Hope this one does the trick. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back