Hiby FC6 - another R-2R USB dongle
May 9, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #421 of 467
You are correct !

The filters Do not work in all modes.
I was referring to HDR and oversampling(OS).
Then, what is the point of the non-oversampling (NOS) mode if the filters was working ?
The indication that the filters do not work in the non-oversampling (NOS) mode is that there is no sound interruption when you change filters as in there is a chance when I switch between filters in oversampling (OS) and HDR modes which causes a sound interruption of a few milliseconds.

The filters do make a difference as I described in my last comment. Having both HDR and OS enabled together makes a noticeable difference to my ears.
Tell that to my wife, she uses it in NOS mode with her preferred filter!

May 9, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #424 of 467
Exactly.

Also, I asked several times without reply @Joe Bloggs if turning "HDR" On or Off actually works in NOS mode...
Sorry for the late reply. I'd run into a rabbit hole with this enquiry and forgot to come back out 😳

But to be brief, the HDR switch is not supposed to make a difference, when the device is set to NOS.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 9, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #425 of 467
Sorry for the late reply. I'd run into a rabbit hole with this enquiry and forgot to come back out 😳

But to be brief, the HDR switch is not supposed to make a difference, when the device is set to NOS.
Thanks!

That's good news for those like me who love pure r2r sound with all their measurement "flaws" making the sound more tasty.

And it is great to have it in the OS mode given that in R2R DACs the accuracy at zero-crossings can be particularly challenging. This option is a great idea indeed, although it's name is kind of too general - HDR is over-used (and abused) as a term in photo, video, displays, etc.

May 9, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #429 of 467
Ofcourse it Works in nos . In Nos without there are flaws and with HDR on you only hear pure music Like CD with Vinyl quality its friggin amazing to pull that Off No other DAC can this as far as i know
as far as I remember, back when I was troubleshooting the device last year and created the Darwin V2 filters to eventually be put on this unit, I did find differences / improvements with HDR on in NOS mode, too. As I say, this is a rabbit hole 🥲

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 9, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #430 of 467
Ofcourse it Works in nos . In Nos without there are flaws and with HDR on you only hear pure music Like CD with Vinyl quality its friggin amazing to pull that Off No other DAC can this as far as i know
"Hear pure music like cd with vinyl quality" - brain crash... at least it has consistency: none of the single statements and the total of them makes sense.

Sorry, no intent to challenge you though - I think I understand what you potentially mean and what "reviewers" lead to such choice of words...

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #432 of 467
Iam 100% shure that HDR filters Out that typical Vinyl Sound on NOS i believe my DAC has the new Update brought it 2-3 weeks ago its brilliant makes midfi iem to high End iem on Roids. But it Takes time to burn in like every audiophile device. Also changing the cable can improve Soundstage and clearity. I have Ears than can hear EVPs or a needle falling in the haystack. Also Nobody used os only than this HDR Filter makes No Sense at all.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #433 of 467
Iam 100% shure that HDR filters Out that typical Vinyl Sound on NOS i believe my DAC has the new Update brought it 2-3 weeks ago its brilliant makes midfi iem to high End iem on Roids. But it Takes time to burn in like every audiophile device. Also changing the cable can improve Soundstage and clearity. I have Ears than can hear EVPs or a needle falling in the haystack. Also Nobody used os only than this HDR Filter makes No Sense at all.
A explanation what R2R DACs are (euphonic, very pleasant and fun sounding) and what they aren't (accurate, high resolution, transparent).

R2R DACs are not transparent, they are flawed and that's why very often they sound better than the transparent delta-sigma DACs, not because they are better or high quality.

R2R sound is definitely not natural by any means (as some claim). Actually the boring delta-sigma DACs are far more natural.
In terms of measurements R2R usually are terrible. Often they can't even cover the needed DR to play transparently even red book 16/44.1

And this is what makes them a very nice option! Don't get me wrong I like R2R, A LOT. Just want to provide real explanation of their sound not the bullsh*t that audiophiles and "reviewers" provide.

The R2R sound is characterized exactly by it's flaws that create a pleasant effect. Such flaws of R2R DACs (especially with lower tolerance like the FC6 or RU6 dongles) trigger psycho-acoustical effects:
  • Wide/Deep Stage: Listeners interpret the distortions as added "details" or that this "layer" of extra sound represents extra "depth".
  • Analogue/Vinyl/Non-fatiguing sound: Listeners interpret the rolled-off high frequencies as more analogue and easy sound.
  • Stronger bass: Listeners interpret the rolled-off high frequencies as punchier bass - the two are always balancing out in our perception, lower highs give the illusion of punchier bass.
Thought this will help many to understand why R2R are perceived (very pleasant usually) the way they are.

I believe one should have both type of devices - fun/euphonic and accurate/transparent. For different purposes, moods or music genres.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #434 of 467
A explanation what R2R DACs are (euphonic, very pleasant and fun sounding) and what they aren't (accurate, high resolution, transparent).

R2R DACs are not transparent, they are flawed and that's why very often they sound better than the transparent delta-sigma DACs, not because they are better or high quality.

R2R sound is definitely not natural by any means (as some claim). Actually the boring delta-sigma DACs are far more natural.
In terms of measurements R2R usually are terrible. Often they can't even cover the needed DR to play transparently even red book 16/44.1

And this is what makes them a very nice option! Don't get me wrong I like R2R, A LOT. Just want to provide real explanation of their sound not the bullsh*t that audiophiles and "reviewers" provide.

The R2R sound is characterized exactly by it's flaws that create a pleasant effect. Such flaws of R2R DACs (especially with lower tolerance like the FC6 or RU6 dongles) trigger psycho-acoustical effects:
  • Wide/Deep Stage: Listeners interpret the distortions as added "details" or that this "layer" of extra sound represents extra "depth".
  • Analogue/Vinyl/Non-fatiguing sound: Listeners interpret the rolled-off high frequencies as more analogue and easy sound.
  • Stranger bass: Listeners interpret the rolled-off high frequencies as punchier bass - the two are always balancing out in our perception, lower highs give the illusion of punchier bass.
Thought this will help many to understand why R2R are perceived (very pleasant usually) the way they are.

I believe one should have both type of devices - fun/euphonic and accurate/transparent. For different purposes, moods or music genres.

A Digital-to-Analog Converter is meant to provide us with an analog sound and R2R DACs do this better than any other type by a big margin.

They offer excellent timing, accuracy, low jitter, and linearity without the need for digital correction, processing and filtering that you find in Delta Sigma DACs which often introduce errors and sound noticeably “digital”.

If you enable HDR and oversampling of the fc6 and adjust the options and filters you will notice that it sounds like a Delta Sigma DAC because it uses digital processing.

R2R DACs tend to produce a warmer, smoother sound without losing any detail, and the sound is significantly denser.

IEMs play a crucial role in the sound quality as well if not the most important!
When I tried them with a set of full BA IEMs the sound was very cold and analytical which I didn’t like and so I sold them.
With dynamic driver IEMs the sound tends to be warmer because pure DDs tend to give you the sound of the source .

I don’t notice any roll off as it extends beyond the hearing capabilities of human ears.
You can test this yourself using a simple frequency generator app you will hear frequencies from 30 Hz up to 18 kHz.

I got this device a bit late but for me this tiny device sounds better than any Fiio DAP just to make it clear. :)

Also regarding the noise and digital processing take a 16-ohm DD IEM and set the volume on the Hiby FC6 to maximum while setting the smartphone volume to minimum with the NOS setting enabled.

You will hear noise coming out but as you increase the volume the noise disappears.
This indicates that it gives you the sound as it is from the source without any digital processing.

When you enable OS and other digital processing options you will hear almost no noise.
As I understand this method is used in other Delta-Sigma Daps for sound correction purposes and to make the sound “cleaner” .

I just wanted to explain the difference and how digital processing can affect sound quality :)

May 9, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #435 of 467
A Digital-to-Analog Converter is meant to provide us with an analog sound and R2R DACs do this better than any other type by a big margin.

They offer excellent timing, accuracy, low jitter, and linearity without the need for digital correction, processing and filtering that you find in Delta Sigma DACs which often introduce errors and sound noticeably “digital”.

If you enable HDR and oversampling of the fc6 and adjust the options and filters you will notice that it sounds like a Delta Sigma DAC because it uses digital processing.

R2R DACs tend to produce a warmer, smoother sound without losing any detail, and the sound is significantly denser.

IEMs play a crucial role in the sound quality as well if not the most important!
When I tried them with a set of full BA IEMs the sound was very cold and analytical which I didn’t like and so I sold them.
With dynamic driver IEMs the sound tends to be warmer because pure DDs tend to give you the sound of the source .

I don’t notice any roll off as it extends beyond the hearing capabilities of human ears.
You can test this yourself using a simple frequency generator app you will hear frequencies from 30 Hz up to 18 kHz.

I got this device a bit late but for me this tiny device sounds better than any Fiio DAP just to make it clear. :)
My explanation above is for those who want to learn something and explore the reality why R2R actually sound pleasant.

No need to reply to me with opposite claims. We can agree to disagree. Honestly, most of your claims are very far from the truth but I really don't insist for you to agree with me. It isn't necessary for you to actually understand what are the actual reasons behind that, but if that's interesting to anyone, my text above explains it.

It is great that we agree in our love for R2R sound, that's the key part and FC6 sounds quite pleasing.

Let's leave it at that as we are going off topic in the FC6 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back