Hiby FC6 - another R-2R USB dongle
Mar 10, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #376 of 405
The PULA PA02 are confirmed to be born to play with the Hiby FC6... I can't wait to try the new reference iems the SLIIVO SL-41 (with greater definition than the PA02) and the SLIIVO SLT6 (6 BA) with the Hiby FC6... will definitely be two more fantastic synergies.

Apr 7, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #377 of 405
I dont know if this has been ask before or not, but is it possible to increase the amount of volume steps (from 31 to higher) with a firmware update?

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #378 of 405
I dont know if this has been ask before or not, but is it possible to increase the amount of volume steps (from 31 to higher) with a firmware update?
Hiby has been asked several times but there has been no response, so I think that the volume steps depend on the number of resistors used on the board and their implementation at hardware level. Probably, there are 31 and will remain 31 beyond possible software updates.

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #379 of 405
Hiby has been asked several times but there has been no response, so I think that the volume steps depend on the number of resistors used on the board and their implementation at hardware level. Probably, there are 31 and will remain 31 beyond possible software updates.
You are correct that it is a hardware limitation. FC6 uses NJU72315 volume control chip and it offers 0 to -62dB control via 2dB steps, meaning it is 31 steps total.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #380 of 405
The volume module in the HiBy FC6 is the NJU72315. It is an excellent Japanese piece by New Japan Radio Co.

- 130db SNR
- 0.00013% distortion
- zero cross detection

A very serious approach, bravo HiBy!

It is indeed hardware limited to 31 steps, no chance to change it: 0 to -62dB / 2dB step

I personally don't have issues with 31 steps - middle ground between having to click like crazy and mobile phone typical 10-15 which are too few. And their volume curve is well distributed, so no drastic or inconsistent steps. The granularity is very good imo.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #381 of 405
The PULA PA02 are confirmed to be born to play with the Hiby FC6... I can't wait to try the new reference iems the SLIIVO SL-41 (with greater definition than the PA02) and the SLIIVO SLT6 (6 BA) with the Hiby FC6... will definitely be two more fantastic synergies.
I have tried it with 80 different iems and some headphones.

Two best combos I personally identified:

1) Kiwi ears Quintet - their great technical performance is very synergistic to reveal the puristic analog-like output of the FC6. Their prominent but not sibilant treble is a great match to balance the r2r nos highs which aren't harsh as the typical delta-sigma upscaled dac. The bass and the bone conduction of the Quintet work amazing with the FC6. An absolute must try combo.

2) Monarch Mk3 - the est in the treble are so delicate yet clear and work magic with the r2r nos highs. Great control of the bass yet super punchyaand dynamic. Overall more analog sounding than the Kiwi, less energetic in the highs though and 5x the price

Studio analytical monitors are the least synergistic BTW, they are too boring and the r2r nos sound is not adding the harshnes that delta-sigma does so they stay super boring...

Just my personal opinion, but based on huge amount of testing and matching done.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #382 of 405
fc6pa10.jpg

If like me you love the sound of the FC6, try listening to it with the Astell & Kern AKPA10... a simply terrifying pair. Everything the FC6 lacks in terms of amplification is provided by the enhanced version of the amplifier present in the Astell & Kern SP3000... really worth listening to.

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #383 of 405
I'm no technical expert so please excuse me if what I'm about to say is technically nonsensical.

Hiby, Please consider the following (if possible) for 1.08 firmware update:

1. Separate Treble & Bass Toggles for linear frequency extension both ways. (Make it linear also in NOS, if it isn't already?) 👇

1000000830.png

2. If possible, extend volume steps to be more than 31 to 62?
And If possible, increase sheer volume output.

I know for a fact that increasing volume can be done through software. I'm currently using an app on my phone to boost beyond what is normally capable and it sounds great, no distortion or other issues.

Thanks for a great product nonetheless, I think it sounds great.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #385 of 405
Hi I just received my FC6 isit wise to update to the latest software does the sound change drastically? Please advise
If you going to use NOS only, then no need to update. If you going to try rest then I guess you have to. I haven't updated (though that was at first due to absence of windows comp to update. And then I just stuck to NOS mode )

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #386 of 405
Why the HDR ON keep turning off when using NOS mode with version 1.07?? Or are you not supposed to turn on HDR with NOS?

Edit: ah i see it is only for OS mode.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #388 of 405
Why the HDR ON keep turning off when using NOS mode with version 1.07?? Or are you not supposed to turn on HDR with NOS?

Edit: ah i see it is only for OS mode.
HDR and filters are bypassed in NOS mode anyway.

I guess the question for @Joe Bloggs is why does HDR turn on by default when engaging OS mode, the description and naming (HDR) don't help in understanding what it actually does, and why is it important that the FC6 uses HDR in IS mode. The last time I have seen technology that actually stretched DR (1:2) was dbx in cassette decks 😁

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #389 of 405

I guess the question for @Joe Bloggs is why does HDR turn on by default when engaging OS mode, the description and naming (HDR) don't help in understanding what it actually does, and why is it important that the FC6 uses HDR in IS mode. The last time I have seen technology that actually stretched DR (1:2) was dbx in cassette decks 😁
HDR, while in NOS mode, significantly lowers the noise floor, so it seems it is not bypassed at all. The OS filters are, naturally.

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #390 of 405

It is a technology to overcome the limitations of R2R, which relies on a high internal sample rate (achieved by oversampling). It improves linearity at low sample levels, especially at the zero-crossings, at the cost of adding a high frequency (ultrasonic) component, which should however be filtered out by the output LPF. We have however heard people having issues with the mode on certain earphones however, so have kept it as an option.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back