Hi Head-Fi can you recommend me a headphone/headset
Jul 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

McRooster

New Head-Fier
Hi there Head-Fi

I am a hardcore gamer also looking for a good audio experience with not only games but music at the same time. The reason why I have come here is because I am looking for a recommendation outside of the standard gaming headset brands such as Razer, Steelseries e.t.c because I know that they don't offer really great quality.

To narrow down what I am looking for currently I am using a Razer Carcharias which is a pretty average sounding headset. What I was looking for was a headset with crisp clear tones at all levels and good bass, song genres I particularly listen to is drum and bass dubstep and other electronically produced music. Games that I play are pretty much just League of Legends, I am more of a RTS player but I occasionally play FPS and other games and of course I was looking for a headset that can offer great gaming sounds and good music quality at the same time.

Also, the headset does not need a microphone I have single piece ones at my disposal.

My price range is about ~$300, but I am willing to consider suggestions above that.

Thanks for taking the time to read and am looking forward to responses :)

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 11
here are some contenders

DT770 Pro 80 - Bassy, but still good for gaming
Q701 - Not much bass, but very good for gaming, difficult to drive
HD598 - Not much bass, also very good for gaming, and easy to drive

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 11
I love my 770s for gaming and they are also very good for your genres. What will you be using to power them? The Beyers are at their best when amped but you should be able to get the 770s + a portable amp for under $300. For example DT770 80ohm ~$180 + Fiio E11 ~ $60.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I am a hardcore gamer also looking for a good audio experience with not only games but music at the same time. The reason why I have come here is because I am looking for a recommendation outside of the standard gaming headset brands such as Razer, Steelseries e.t.c because I know that they don't offer really great quality.
To narrow down what I am looking for currently I am using a Razer Carcharias which is a pretty average sounding headset. What I was looking for was a headset with crisp clear tones at all levels and good bass, song genres I particularly listen to is drum and bass dubstep and other electronically produced music. Games that I play are pretty much just League of Legends, I am more of a RTS player but I occasionally play FPS and other games and of course I was looking for a headset that can offer great gaming sounds and good music quality at the same time.
Also, the headset does not need a microphone I have single piece ones at my disposal.
My price range is about ~$300, but I am willing to consider suggestions above that.

Sennheiser HD558s
Asus Xonar DG sound card (better then on-board audio).

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
How about watching movies? Are they really good? I'm just curious.

Good for just about everything,
I like to think of them as very "German", not the warmest but very functional.

I like my DT990 Pro 250-Ohm a little better for movies, but they need a decent amp.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Thanks guys. I have decided to get a ATH-ADH700 along with a e11 amp. I don't think the bass should be a problem, if I really don't like it I can just get something else.

I think you should choose between the Denon D2000 and HD 598. I'm guessing the former will be more enjoyable for your genre of music, while the latter will do reasonably well with most genres while being superior with gaming. But then again, I can see how the HD 598 might lose to the Denon in the movie department. 

E11 amp? I'm guessing you're going to use your headphones outside? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back