Hi From Apos Audio & Announcing The Caspian Headphone Launch
Nov 28, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #91 of 130
Just tried out a pair of Shure 1840 pads on these and this is imo the best sounding. Much more clarity now. Bass is tighter as well. Its sound signature is what I would consider neutral to the harman target.

Unfortunately the Shure pads are as thin as the stock ones so my ears touches the ear cups a little but I haven’t had any discomfort yet after about an hour of wearing them. Maybe I got used to it.

Right now they’re my favorite that I currently have.

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #92 of 130
Just tried out a pair of Shure 1840 pads on these and this is imo the best sounding. Much more clarity now. Bass is tighter as well. Its sound signature is what I would consider neutral to the harman target.

Unfortunately the Shure pads are as thin as the stock ones so my ears touches the ear cups a little but I haven’t had any discomfort yet after about an hour of wearing them. Maybe I got used to it.

Right now they’re my favorite that I currently have.
Which other full sized cans do you own?

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #93 of 130
Which other full sized cans do you own?
Elex, Sundara, 6XX are ones that I currently have. I previously owned Emu teaks, Modhouse Argons MK3, and a few Beyers before.

As far as music I tend to listen to mainly Core and Metal music but on occasion will also listen to Rap/Reggae and some other genres a like.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #94 of 130
Elex, Sundara, 6XX are ones that I currently have. I previously owned Emu teaks, Modhouse Argons MK3, and a few Beyers before.

As far as music I tend to listen to mainly Core and Metal music but on occasion will also listen to Rap/Reggae and some other genres a like.
Those are some popular headphones, and you like these best? Do tell more....

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #95 of 130
Those are some popular headphones, and you like these best? Do tell more....
Here’s some short comparisons. Note this is with the 1840 pads on the caspians. The other headphones are in stock form.

Current Source gear: Asgard 3/Modi 3+

Vs 6XX: Kinda a toss up in the mids. If you’re looking for vocal intimacy stick with the Senns. If you want fuller mids that is spread out a bit more than you’ll like the caspians more. Better dynamics, bass punch and extension on both ends for the caspians as well as a more elevated bass response. Treble can get a bit spicy on the caspians with certain tracks otherwise it’s fine. 6XX have the smoothest treble response I’ve heard. Soundstage is a bit wider and imaging is definitely more precise with the caspians. And when things get busy, for example when listening to songs from Archspire, the caspians do a better job at keeping thing separated.

Vs Sundara: The Sundaras still handle faster music a bit better but not by much. Even when eq’d I still find the Sundara to sound a little bit metallic sounding. So the caspians may sound more “natural” at least it does to me. When using the Oratory1990 eq settings for my sundaras, the sound signature is pretty similar to the caspians. Which is why I said the caspians with the 1840 pads sound neutral to the harman target. Even then the caspians still have better slam and dynamics at the cost of a slightly more coarse treble response. I suspect a peak somewhere in there.

Summary: Given the type of music I listen to which I’ve mentioned in a previous post, you can probably see why I prefer the caspians over the others. YMMV

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #96 of 130
Thanks for the comparisons, very helpful. The only part that concerns me is the somewhat hot and spicy treble. You say you may be sensitive around 1 and 2k, does the Caspian bug you at all in the upper mids? It really does sound similar to the Magni. I'm not sure I'd like them with the 1840 pads. Which pads have you used that seemed to tame the treble the most, but didn't lose the bass?

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #97 of 130
Also, can you describe and compare them with the Teaks? I owned them and thought they were pretty decent. The bass wasn't great imo. They would have been better if they were a little more forward and aggressive. Since it's a headphone I'm familiar with, it would be awesome if you could compare the bass, mids, treble, soundstage, and imaging. Much appreciated 👍

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #98 of 130
Thanks for the comparisons, very helpful. The only part that concerns me is the somewhat hot and spicy treble. You say you may be sensitive around 1 and 2k, does the Caspian bug you at all in the upper mids? It really does sound similar to the Magni. I'm not sure I'd like them with the 1840 pads. Which pads have you used that seemed to tame the treble the most, but didn't lose the bass?
The mids bothered me with only the stock pads. Using more open pads evens out the mids and after that they don’t bother me at all. You might like the brainwavz perforated pads because they were warmer sounding. Velour brainwavz are a bit less warm and the 1840 pads are the least warm. Both the brainwavz pads have a more tame treble compared to the 1840 pads
Also, can you describe and compare them with the Teaks? I owned them and thought they were pretty decent. The bass wasn't great imo. They would have been better if they were a little more forward and aggressive. Since it's a headphone I'm familiar with, it would be awesome if you could compare the bass, mids, treble, soundstage, and imaging. Much appreciated 👍
I don’t have the teaks for a direct comparison just fyi. The caspians are definitely a bass heads headphone with pretty much any pad. Maybe not so much with the 1840 pads but the BW pads will for sure have the more forward and aggressive bass response that you’re looking for. The mids might be a bit more forward on the caspians at least in the upper mids. I remember the teaks getting sibilant at times and the caspians with perforated bw pads don’t ever get sibilant. The caspians have pretty good depth to its sound stage. Not super wide, the teaks might be wider, but there’s pretty good forward and rear stage . I believe both to have pinpoint imaging. Hope that helps

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #99 of 130
I think I'm gonna grab them. It looks like if returned within 14 days, there is no restocking fee. I'm really hoping these sound like the HP-3 Nova, but a little more reserved in the upper mids and lower treble. It sounds like they should have some extra depth in comparison as well.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #100 of 130
I just listened to Zeos sound demo, and these sounded overly bright and splashy. Way too much so for me. I don't trust his demos, but I was listening with my Ibasso SR2 which is relatively flat, lush, and smooth. Seemed strange. Would anyone refer to these as splashy? None of the other reviews I've come across make them sound like they're bright. Quite the opposite actually.

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #101 of 130
I just listened to Zeos sound demo, and these sounded overly bright and splashy. Way too much so for me. I don't trust his demos, but I was listening with my Ibasso SR2 which is relatively flat, lush, and smooth. Seemed strange. Would anyone refer to these as splashy? None of the other reviews I've come across make them sound like they're bright. Quite the opposite actually.
This is why you can never trust sound demo’s. I don’t even know why they exist. They definitely don’t sound splashy to me.

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #103 of 130
The bass of this headphone is really good. I find male vocals to be really good while female vocals it depends on where there vocal range is. I really like how smooth the treble is on this headphone because its detailed without being harsh. The tuning of this headphone is overall pretty engaging and fun

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #105 of 130
The bass of this headphone is really good. I find male vocals to be really good while female vocals it depends on where there vocal range is. I really like how smooth the treble is on this headphone because its detailed without being harsh. The tuning of this headphone is overall pretty engaging and fun

How is the detail, and more importantly, the resolution? I know it's not going to be the most resolving can out there, but I'm hoping it's not overly warm and gooey. I've also read in a few reviews that the bass can be too much, and somewhat overwhelming. These reviews also state like you did, that the upper mids are too dark to highlight and appreciate female vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back