Hi everyone!
Jun 16, 2010 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Peter2290

New Head-Fier
Not sure where to put this thread so mods can move it if need be....

Just though I'd register and say hi as I've been lurking for a few days and finally decided on my first pair of "audiophile" headphones. I currently have an older pair of Audio-Technica ANC7s that are kind of falling apart but still work fine and just purchased a pair of AD700's from Amazon/Beach Camera for $64 (had a $20 gift card). 

Can't wait for them to arrive! (should be here early next week). 

Would these headphones sound fine just plugged right into my laptop or xbox? Or should I start looking into headphone amps or a new sound card (would have to be external)?

Thanks!

-Peter

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 13
Don't think a headphone amp will do much for them at all. . .didn't when I tried my AD700's to one.

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to be using your headphones for primarily?

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 13
Its going to be a mix of playing xbox 360 (read that the big sound stage is great for gaming), and listening to music on my laptop. I listen to jazz, classical, rock, folk, alternative, all sorts of stuff. Though I'm not worried about the lack of bass in the headphones because I rarely listen to hip-hop/rap/other bass heavy genres. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 13
Don't worry about your sources or amps, just plug them straight in and enjoy :)

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 13
How do you plan on hooking it up to the XBox? I'd suggest the Mixamp, for full potential use of the AD700 with gaming.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Something like the Mixamp would be great for gaming, but don't use it for music :)

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 13
Is that the Astro Mixamp? I was planning on either just plugging them into the headphone jack on my tv or into a 3.5mm/RCA adapter that I have. Is the Mixamp just a regular headphone amp? or is there something about it that makes it specific for gaming? and why isn't it good for music?

Like I said, Im just delving into the world of high(er) end audio and don't know much yet.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 13
Sounds cool, I'll definitely take a looking into purchasing it.

Also, apparently 3-5 days shipping is now overnight :-D well sort of. I ordered the headphones late Tuesday night so they didn't ship until yesterday (I got standard 3-5 day shipping), they were scheduled to be delivered from June 21st-24th. Just checked the tracking number and they are out for delivery right now!!

:-D

Jun 17, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #12 of 13
If you're not worried about voice chat, you can get the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS which has Dolby Headphone like the Mixamp, plus bass boost. It's $40 less than the Mixamp. It also only has one true digital input, whilst the Mixamp has 2, as well as an RCA input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back