HFI-780 with Vampire Wire and Dynamat Help
Sep 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jschristian44

Member of the Trade: Justin's Headphone Modding
CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Hey guys,
So after being away from Head-fi for a while, it is nice to come back.  I had someone send me all of his headphones to mod and I have to say it was a very fun project getting to test each headphone and mod them.  I just recabled all of them basically.  I did a couple dynamat mods I think and that was fun.  Anyways, I got an iBasso D2+ amp and I have to say it is a fantastic amp even for it's age.  Anyways, I need to get a full size headphone to pair with it and after luckily skipping the Sony XB series and the Harx900, etc, I decided on the HFI-780.  I am getting them in about a week or so.  I enjoy modding phones and I definately want to mod these to the ALO-780 mod.  I want to test them first though, but after reading the ALO modder who did his, he said they sounded similar to the edition 9's.  I always liked Ultrasone's style and this will be my first set from them.  The edition 9's are probably the best high class looking headphones you could get next to the HD800 in my eyes.  Anyways, I only used cheap cable from Markertek.com before and it's been good, but I wanted to test out some Vampire Wire 20 gauge if I could.  It looks great unwrapped and I like the orange color.  So now come my questions, where can I get some Vampire Wire 18 or 20 gauge on the cheap?  I checked markertek, couldnt find it.  Vampire Wire's main site has it for like 5.00 a foot, but I know I can get it for like 2.50 a foot some place, but I don't know where.  I want to make it like 7 feet or so.  I could braid it myself I think.  Like I said, I have recabled many headphones before and quite a few with single entry cables.  The diode board or whatever that they removed is the switchboard that connects the right speaker to the left one I believe.  I removed that before on the HD555 and recabled it seperate to each speaker.  I think that's exactly what they did for the ALO-780 mod.  They also said that they dynamatted or dampened some parts inside, and I wonder if they just did the speaker itself or something like the MarkL mod.  I am going to use a switchcraft 3.5mm end plug, even though I like the cheaper ones better, the Switchcraft seems like a good name.  Anyways, I was wondering if there was a tutorial anywhere on how to exactly do this mod?  So those are my questions in which I couldn't find any real answers anywhere on here.  Hopefully you guys can help.

Recap:
Where can I get 18 or 20 AWG Vampire Wire for under 5.00 a foot online?
What parts of the interior of the HFI-780 should be dynamatted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back