HFI-2200 vs ATH-ESW9A
Sep 30, 2010 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CC Lemon

100+ Head-Fier
I was pretty much settled on getting the ESW9A's but found a decent deal on the HFI-2200's and now I'm kind of torn. I have HFI-780's and absolutely love them. The fact that I enjoy those a lot gives me hope that I'd really like the 2200. The 2200 would also have the benefit of being an open set since I already have a closed set. I love the looks of the ESW9A's and kind of think I should go with those to have a bit more variance in my options.As far as I can tell from what I've read, I think I'd enjoy the sound of both and I don't think I'll be unhappy with either one, but wondering what others would do in my situation.

Just to give a feel for my tastes:
-I tend to enjoy a slight bass-heaviness but definitely want clarity.
-I listen to a wide array of music. Metal is definitely my most often listened to genre, but I want something that's versitle for those other situations. Aside from metal, I'll pretty regularly listen to various types of rock, jazz, classical and rarely some pop stuff.

Any advice is appreciated!

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 10
Let me first say, I love the HFI 580s. They were one of my favorite headphones when I was in my basshead phase.

Anyways, this is how I think of the ESW series and the open Ultrasones. The ESW is really warm. I wasn't very fond of the sound. The soundstage is small and the music and vocals are blended a little. Not exactly detailed headphones, but they can be good headphones to fall asleep to. I prefer the sound of the ES7.

I found ALL open Ultrasones to be shrill with piercing treble. The closed variants tame the highs a bit, but when open, it can be quite painful. On par with the piercing treble of many Grados.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 10
That helps a bit. I'm not a fan of the grado sound from what I've experienced so far, so if the 2200 are going to be similar than that's probably not what I'm interested in. Given the description, I'm willing to give the ESW9A a try still.

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 10
Nice...I don't think I have seen a thread with these two going head to head.

I own both and have for a while (I have ESW9 not with the "A"), I'm assuming the "A" means "America" and that basically they are the same phone).

Two different animals these two.  IMO, at the end of the day the ESW9s are geared more for portable use (they come stock with like a 4ft. cable, terminated w/ 1/8" mini, small cups and can be enjoyed with no amplification etc.).  Have I plugged them into a home amp?  Absolutely, and they do sound very good.  I think they are a great balanced sounding can with just the right emphasis on the bass and the high end is just right, and nothing is overpowering.  However, they fall short on soundstage and imaging, but are fun indeed.

The HFI-2200s, now what can we say about these sexy, chocolatey looking things.  The sleeper in the Ultrasone family imo and the famous Ultrasone motto "love em or hate em" applies without saying.  When I was trying to find info on them before I purchased, it was very scarce.  I PMed various members and received opinions directly, but as far as threads, they were few and far between.

The overall sound is also balanced and has that nice Ultrasone bass we love, but it is kept in check and does not overpower.  The mids are where these phones shine.  Delicious I tell you.  When you have these babies driven well, you will close your eyes, sit back and relax after a long day.  Or jump up and down after a great day.  The music takes over.

These phones need an amp to shine.  Ampless, they are muffled and sound like if you're in a cave (Ultrasone haters say that about any of them...lol....)

You enjoy your 780s I see, and the eye bleeding highs out of the box did not bother you.  These sound different in a more cohesive kind of way and no piercing highs.  The other open 'Sone, the PRO2500s have an elevated top end like the 780s, but it does settle down.  The 2200s are also great for movies.  You know about burn-in with the Ultrasones, and I have not enjoyed any of them out of the box, but when they settle down they are great.

Couple of pics I took a while back---

Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Completely forgot to take that into consideration: amps...

I have a total bithead and, as of now, have no real intent to spend money on another amp. The earliest I'd be able/willing to spend money on an amp would be the end of the year and I'd rather stick with the bithead if possible. If the 2200's require a more powerful amp than that, then maybe the decision has been made for me...

Any input on how well the total bithead could drive these?

I appreciate the help so far... definitely helps to get a few different views.

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Completely forgot to take that into consideration: amps...

I have a total bithead and, as of now, have no real intent to spend money on another amp. The earliest I'd be able/willing to spend money on an amp would be the end of the year and I'd rather stick with the bithead if possible. If the 2200's require a more powerful amp than that, then maybe the decision has been made for me...

Any input on how well the total bithead could drive these?

I appreciate the help so far... definitely helps to get a few different views.

Hi CC Lemon,

Well, I have never listened to a bithead, so can't advise on that one.  I have a couple of portable amps though and they do the job.  They are 75ohm and just to put that aside for a moment, all Ultrasones sound better with any type of amplification.  The Ultrasones need some juice to reel them in and tighten everything up.  Not that they are hard to drive like Senns or Beyers, but need some guidance and some protein in the right direction== amp.  I hate to speculate, but FWIR, I believe the bithead will accomplish the task.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, the deal I found on the HFi-2200's seems to be gone. That means that the decision has been made for me or I'll have to save up a little more if I decide I want the 2200's.

Oct 4, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
why not consider a closed ultrasone if the deal isn't available anymore? i truly feel that ultrasones are meant to be closed, but of course that's just my opinion

Well, I already have HFi-780's so I'm not sure there's an ultrasone that I'll find in my price range that I would feel worth picking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back